DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Our Racing Program
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Racing Program
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Did you call moser direct? that seems like ALOT, Call and ask for Rocky.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
Did you call moser direct? that seems like ALOT, Call and ask for Rocky.

I think it was 300-400 dollars more from Moser with all the options ordered.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2493 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Headed for Hughes Performance bright & early in the morning. Not looking forward to the drive 5.5 hrs. one way. The trans went in for a refresh/re-cert & the convertor re-configured for the ProCharger motor.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2493 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Good luck!! Drive safe! Can't wait to see the results!

BG

Posts: 758 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Headed for Hughes Performance bright & early in the morning. Not looking forward to the drive 5.5 hrs. one way. The trans went in for a refresh/re-cert & the convertor re-configured for the ProCharger motor.

Tell Kev Hey! BE safe!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4468 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
Good luck!! Drive safe! Can't wait to see the results!

Thanks! This build is a whole different animal. I've never had any experience with boost. Also, the wanna-be Holley Sniper injection I have no experience with either. Hopefully I can learn this shyt without damaging too much! Looking at the fall to do its 1st testing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B KING,

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
quote:

Tell Kev Hey! BE safe!

I got your text about 2 hrs. after leaving Hughes. As always, it's nice to chat with Kevin.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tell Kev Hey! BE safe!

I got your text about 2 hrs. after leaving Hughes. As always, it's nice to chat with Kevin.

I was tardy no biggie. Get you all dialed in?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4468 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get you all dialed in?

The trans is good to go for now. We did discuss some different 1st gear ratios like the 1.69 or 1.58 & if I go that route, I'll just build another trans.

The convertor was a WAG with no dyno sheets. He thought it would be around 5,600 on the lower boost & of course be higher with more boost. I tried to find Dyno comparisons of ProCharger motors N/A then dyno'd with boost. The few SBCs I found; it appears when you add boost the Torque Peak rises about 1,000 rpm over N/A. The HP Peak only seemed to raise 200-400 rpm.

I had our Dyno sheets from when it was configured N/A. The new motor has the same basic configuration with lower compression 9.5:1 compared to the old 11.5:1 & the cam is 267*/279* @ .050, .640/.640 lift, 112 lobe center & Bullet wanted installed 4* advance. Compared to the old cam 266*/272*, .688/.673 lift & a 108 lobe center installed straight up. The new motor N/A should exhibit the same basic characteristics as the old motor.

Old motor made 594 lbft @ 4600 rpm with low boost that should bump the peak to around 5,600 rpm. The torque is going to be well over 800 lbft & may approach 900 lbft.

I think I'll have a lot of dialing in to do with the whole combo.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Moser Muscle Pak rearend is getting ordered this coming week. I got the quote from the dealer at just a tad over 5K. The picture below is for a coil spring set-up ours will be for the factory leaf spring set-up. We are getting 35 spline axles, spool, 3.89 gears, back brace, 1350 yoke, 5/8" studs, aluminum case/support, Moser brakes & powder coated black.

I got the rearend ordered today, I'm a little concerned about the overall width. This is supposed to be a stock width for a gen 2 Camaro. What I found was the stock width wheel mounting is 62.5"s. I had measured mine at 62.75"s wheel width mounting. I guess the .25" difference could be because of the stock rearend being modified for C-Clip eliminators. Regardless, Moser has a spot for custom width & I put that in the notes. If they do build it at 62.5"s, I have room for the tire/rim combo to move inboard that amount.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Get you all dialed in?

The trans is good to go for now. We did discuss some different 1st gear ratios like the 1.69 or 1.58 & if I go that route, I'll just build another trans.

The convertor was a WAG with no dyno sheets. He thought it would be around 5,600 on the lower boost & of course be higher with more boost. I tried to find Dyno comparisons of ProCharger motors N/A then dyno'd with boost. The few SBCs I found; it appears when you add boost the Torque Peak rises about 1,000 rpm over N/A. The HP Peak only seemed to raise 200-400 rpm.

I had our Dyno sheets from when it was configured N/A. The new motor has the same basic configuration with lower compression 9.5:1 compared to the old 11.5:1 & the cam is 267*/279* @ .050, .640/.640 lift, 112 lobe center & Bullet wanted installed 4* advance. Compared to the old cam 266*/272*, .688/.673 lift & a 108 lobe center installed straight up. The new motor N/A should exhibit the same basic characteristics as the old motor.

Old motor made 594 lbft @ 4600 rpm with low boost that should bump the peak to around 5,600 rpm. The torque is going to be well over 800 lbft & may approach 900 lbft.

I think I'll have a lot of dialing in to do with the whole combo.

Might take one or two cut and welds not knowing exact power. Will this one dyno?

Raceless in California!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Might take one or two cut and welds not knowing exact power. Will this one dyno?

It's probably going to a chassis dyno; I've never done that before.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I pretty much finished up the trunk this morning. It's about 98% done; a few connections to the batteries & I'm thinking about running another ground from left battery to the left frame rail.

The two Leash relays are 70-amp ea. & feed the dual in tank Walbro 450LPH pumps. I wanted to add the additional battery primarily for EMI/RFI & using fuel injection. That seems to be the biggest complaint with the Holley systems. The battery charge wire & fuel pump wires come off the left battery. The ECU power & ground come directly off the right battery, trying to isolate them from EMI/RFI as much as possible.

I also have a 2-gauge ground from the right battery to right frame rail. I also ran an 8-gauge ground from the right battery up to a stud mounted on the front roll cage down tube chassis plate. I have the Digital Delay relay board grounded to that stud.

I'm working my way forward on the car & have the interior with wiring about 60% complete.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Coming along!!! What is your estimated completion?

BG

Posts: 758 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
Coming along!!! What is your estimated completion?

The original plan was to have the car ready for testing this spring. I started the project around Sept. of 2020. Then early 2021 Covid hit & I had a serious health issue. Both of those slowed the plans down & put me about 6 months behind schedule. Right now, I hope to have the car ready for testing in the fall.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
9 Months! I called the machine shop today, needless to say I'm not happy. Frown Dec. They were waiting on a timing chain set. Today they are waiting on a new hub from ATI for my balancer. But hey, we have your short block assembled. I heard some other excuses also, but what can I do; absolutely nothing! Back in the early days I had a machine shop sponsor & that allowed me to do my own machine work/assembly. Maybe I should ask for the same deal here, just kidding.

Going to the back-up plan, putting the back-up motor in. I mainly need it for mock-up of the fuel injection/wiring. Who knows maybe I'll fire up the old 385 that has been sitting for 13-14 years.

USA

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
9 Months! I called the machine shop today, needless to say I'm not happy. Frown Dec. They were waiting on a timing chain set. Today they are waiting on a new hub from ATI for my balancer. But hey, we have your short block assembled. I heard some other excuses also, but what can I do; absolutely nothing! Back in the early days I had a machine shop sponsor & that allowed me to do my own machine work/assembly. Maybe I should ask for the same deal here, just kidding.

Going to the back-up plan, putting the back-up motor in. I mainly need it for mock-up of the fuel injection/wiring. Who knows maybe I'll fire up the old 385 that has been sitting for 13-14 years.

USA

Belt drive or something dam waiting 9 months

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1383 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately everything is “wait” now!
Getting worse!

Raceless in California!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The good news, the rearend is on its way. Supposed to arrive Feb. 3, roughly 2.5 weeks after ordering. Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I got the spare motor 3 pointed today with the refreshed/re-certified trans & converter. Spent a good amount of time trial fitting the ProCharger. The longer belt they sent for the larger blower pulley is too long. I ended up using the shorter belt for the smaller pulley with no idler pulleys. I need to mock-up the smaller pulley & will probably have to use one or two idler pulleys.

I also mocked-up the alternator bracket & took measurements for the belt length.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436