DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Our Racing Program
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Racing Program
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
In late 2018 we decided to make some changes to our racing program. Thanks to all of our great Sponsors over the many years/years to come. We would not be able to do this without you.

Anyway, it was our plan to update both cars 68 & 80 Camaro to an 8.50 certification with other improvements. Both cars were supposed to be done by now. LOL! I'll try & explain it without to much detail, hopefully. We were also planning to upgrade our truck & trailer (2005 GMC 2500 & flatbed trailer) another story.

I started with the 68 Camaro in Oct. 18. This car belongs to one of our Sponsors. It sat in the hangar for 7 or 8 years. My son was the last one to race it, unit I resurrected the car. The car was completed in 3 months time, was certified in Jan. 19 & I licensed that month. I raced the car for 2019 race season & was planning to update the 80 Camaro starting in the fall of 19, another story.

I'm not much for pictures, but I have a couple. I thought I had some of the work that got done, haven't found them yet. I will provide some more info later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B KING,

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2502 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Service

Nice looking car

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll start with the 68. I remove the 434 730 hp sbc shafiroff engine & ATI powerglide/8" converter. Here's a basic list of what was done in 3 months:

Motor/trans: new valve springs, lifters, fresh fluids, checked torques, cut bell housing/replaced with JW Bell & new trans blanket.

Interior: Cut out roll bar, install new rear floor, installed 8 point mild steel cage 8.50 cert, Kirkey seat & new belts.

Trunk: Installed new trunk floor, removed batteries/install new one (only 1).

Rear Suspension: Ladder bar cross member bent/installed new one with x-brace tied into front sub-frame, new double adjustable coil over shocks/springs.

Front suspension: Rebuilt front suspension

Electrical: Removed delay box/set-up for bottom bulb racing, cleaned up electrical system.

Tires: New tires front & back

Results for 2019: The car ran a best of 6.17 1/8 & 9.72 1/4, best 60' 1.36. I think I finished 9th in points (Pro, Las Vegas). No wins, 2 2nd places, semi finals & my son went to the semis. He said wow, that's a whole different car from when he raced it.

Well, as the year went the car kept slowing down. We found out why when we pulled the motor. All the inner valve springs were broken & took the top ring lands off of 2 pistons.

The motor is all freshened & the car is ready to go now. It didn't make it in time to start the points season in Jan. 20. I'm hoping it will be a little faster when we bring it back out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B KING,

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2502 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:
Service

Nice looking car

Thanks, the pictures help. It's what I call a 20 footer. It's 30' better than our 80 Camaro.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic from the track.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
B! Nice car! I’ve got one of those cars! lol.. Everything is new this time around for us so I have no idea what it will run. Goal is to run 9.80-90.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
B! Nice car! I’ve got one of those cars! lol.. Everything is new this time around for us so I have no idea what it will run. Goal is to run 9.80-90.

Thanks! I'm assuming you run S/A something, Stock & Super Stock are my favorite classes. So, you wrote everything is new. What did you change?

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What did you do to address the valve spring issues? If you don't mind disclosing that information. Nice car

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
What did you do to address the valve spring issues? If you don't mind disclosing that information. Nice car

My Sponsor gave me everything he had on the motor from Shafiroff. It was a break down of parts used, but no info on the valve springs. I pulled the springs & found a suitable sub. I ended up putting in K-Motion #900, they were set up according to their specs. The spring were broken in with low rpm until engine reach 180* & let cool. The car was raced after that, 6,600 on shift, 7,100 at stripe & 5,000 burnout.

Anyway, when I took motor to machine shop to be freshened. They checked the specs, my set-up to K-Motion specs. Everything was in order & ask me about the RPM of the motor. They couldn't figure out why & thought it was odd all the inner ones were broken. Has anybody ran into this before?

We ended up going with PAC valve springs. The valve springs were broken in as mentioned above. The only difference I used the Comp Cams break-in lube. The car has not been to the track this year. Probably take it out later this season, been running the 80 Camaro.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:

Thanks! I'm assuming you run S/A something, Stock & Super Stock are my favorite classes. So, you wrote everything is new. What did you change?

A/SA 69 closed chamber iron head 427. New Don Little heads. Ultra light ring package, lighter crank etc..

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Last year I had some minor kick back while starting the car. I inspected the flexplate/starter gear everything is good. Today I decided to check the rotor phasing. The rotor is well past the cap terminal when it fires. I'll get an adjustable rotor/new cap ordered.

Sure have been finding time to get a lot of things done around the house, shop & 1.5 acres of land. Just the way things are these days.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I got the adjustable rotor put in today & couldn't complete the phasing. It's better than it was, but in the process I killed my cheap timing light I've had for 20 years & my 19.2v craftsman light. For some reason neither one likes to be near the cap with with holes in it. The timing light was literally smoking & doesn't work anymore, LOL! Now, for the light. It was working until I shined it in the cap hole. The bulb works, but just a quick flash. So, I take the light apart thinking it was the switch. I bypassed the switch & still the same thing. It had a little circuit board in there, but that's above my head. Both items are in the trash now, LOL!

I guess I can do the final adjustments without a light. I don't want to fry anything else.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyway, it was our plan to update both cars 68 & 80 Camaro to an 8.50 certification with other improvements. Both cars were supposed to be done by now. LOL! I'll try & explain it without to much detail, hopefully. We were also planning to upgrade our truck & trailer (2005 GMC 2500 & flatbed trailer) another story.

I started with the 68 Camaro in Oct. 18. This car belongs to one of our Sponsors. It sat in the hangar for 7 or 8 years. My son was the last one to race it, unit I resurrected the car. The car was completed in 3 months time, was certified in Jan. 19 & I licensed that month. I raced the car for 2019 race season & was planning to update the 80 Camaro starting in the fall of 19, another story.

Getting on to the 80 Camaro, this car has been our work horse/old reliable & it gets the job done very well (Wins). My Son & Wife started racing the car years back. When I was driving for other people.

Anyway, it's part of the family & thought it would be getting it's updates by now. Actually, we thought about starting them now. We started the 2020 racing season with it & have completed 7 out of 12 races (sitting in 2nd place). Then of course we all got put on hold.

I talked with the guy (Thanks Jerry) that did the 68 Camaro & decided we would get it in the fall for the work. This is the basic plan for the fall:

Cut out the existing roll bar/new chromoly 8.50 Cert. cage going back in.

New VFN fiberglass front end/dash going on/in, going to keep the existing Harwood hood. Might put on a fiberglass trunk lid, but I don't mind the weight back there. So, that's still up in the air.

Completely rewiring the car, haven't decided on the switch panel/kit to use yet.

The cars best ET has been 9.92 @ 136 mph with one of my sons driving. We have never ran the car all out & would probably run in the low .80's with the restrictions off. The car weighs 3050 race ready. The 434 sbc dyno'd @ 630 hp at the flywheel on 100 UL. The plan is to eventually reconfigure the motor for a Procharger & run high 8's with it.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Getting on to the 80 Camaro, this car has been our work horse/old reliable & it gets the job done very well (Wins). My Son & Wife started racing the car years back. When I was driving for other people.

Anyway, it's part of the family & thought it would be getting it's updates by now. Actually, we thought about starting them now. We started the 2020 racing season with it & have completed 7 out of 12 races (sitting in 2nd place). Then of course we all got put on hold.

I talked with the guy (Thanks Jerry) that did the 68 Camaro & decided we would get it in the fall for the work. This is the basic plan for the fall:

Cut out the existing roll bar/new chromoly 8.50 Cert. cage going back in.

New VFN fiberglass front end/dash going on/in, going to keep the existing Harwood hood. Might put on a fiberglass trunk lid, but I don't mind the weight back there. So, that's still up in the air.

Completely rewiring the car, haven't decided on the switch panel/kit to use yet.

The cars best ET has been 9.92 @ 136 mph with one of my sons driving. We have never ran the car all out & would probably run in the low .80's with the restrictions off. The car weighs 3050 race ready. The 434 sbc dyno'd @ 630 hp at the flywheel on 100 UL. The plan is to eventually reconfigure the motor for a Procharger & run high 8's with it.

Looks great, I like the ProCharger idea. Also, I have a friend who lives down the street VFN, he used to work there actually. When you get ready for the front end, let me know. He has handled several orders for us including the hood on my ride. He can save ya a few bucks and get you to the head of the line typically a little quicker.

Car looks good, I like it.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Looks great, I like the ProCharger idea. Also, I have a friend who lives down the street VFN, he used to work there actually. When you get ready for the front end, let me know. He has handled several orders for us including the hood on my ride. He can save ya a few bucks and get you to the head of the line typically a little quicker.

Thanks Mike! While both cars cars look decent, they have good parts under the skin, good maintenance & a good driver most of the time.

As for the ProCharger, it just made sense to go that route with a small block wanting to run in the 8's. The 434 motor is a Sponsored deal & it's built stout, but not the way I would have done it with certain parts. Mainly the cylinder heads, Brodix 18 SPX & compression.

I've done my research, talked with the Sponsor & got Pro Chargers recommendation. Most of the engine hard parts will be used, the world products block will get billet steal main caps. The cam & compression will be changed to suit the blower. I know it will easily get us the power needed. I hope I can get it the way I want for bracket racing.

As for VFN, the plan is to call them today & discuss. I don't know if they are open during these times.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks Mike! While both cars cars look decent, they have good parts under the skin, good maintenance & a good driver most of the time.

As for the ProCharger, it just made sense to go that route with a small block wanting to run in the 8's. The 434 motor is a Sponsored deal & it's built stout, but not the way I would have done it with certain parts. Mainly the cylinder heads, Brodix 18 SPX & compression.

I've done my research, talked with the Sponsor & got Pro Chargers recommendation. Most of the engine hard parts will be used, the world products block will get billet steal main caps. The cam & compression will be changed to suit the blower. I know it will easily get us the power needed. I hope I can get it the way I want for bracket racing.

As for VFN, the plan is to call them today & discuss. I don't know if they are open during these times.

You'll have his name and number in a PM in a minute. You'll have a perfect experience with this guy. He does exactly as he says he's gonna do. Old school.

If I can figure how to author a PM. I've gotten PM's here, but never authored one.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I can figure how to author a PM. I've gotten PM's here, but never authored one.

Wait.... you can figure out how to post all the bull**** images you do, and even carry on a conversation with yourself (while responding to your own post several times) but can’t seem to figure out how send a PM...? Come on man. Can’t be real.

Ask Ed.

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:
quote:

Wait.... you can figure out how to post all the bull**** images you do, and even carry on a conversation with yourself (while responding to your own post several times) but can’t seem to figure out how send a PM...? Come on man. Can’t be real.

Ask Ed.

Is this troubling you? I'm guessing you couldn't put words together to rationally argue the topic, so you came over here with a chip on your shoulder. Well here's your second chance.

I'd say it's 100% accurate. Maybe you can point out flaws but I doubt it.

You cash your check? Get you stimulant?

Try not to let my conservatism get under your skin.

Stimulant - stimulus Eh?

https://youtu.be/vAI2QOBMlTA

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bryan, if you can get an in with vfn, definitely take it. When I ordered my hood I was told right up front it would be 7 weeks plus shipping, which it was. Well worth the wait tho, very good piece.

Scott

Posts: 292 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input Scott! Here's the reply I received from VFN.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436