DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Our Racing Program
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Racing Program
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
OK, I found the issue & it's corrected. I'll describe it the best as possible. The clamp assembly bolt that holds the rooster to the shift shaft was loose. I indexed the shaft to the rooster & tightened the clamp. Assembled everything, adjusted the shifter cable & tested all gears; everything working.

I finished breaking in the gears in reverse. Yes, it was in the Moser instructions. Plus, the new brakes on the rear should be broken in pretty good now.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2520 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
OK, I found the issue & it's corrected. I'll describe it the best as possible. The clamp assembly bolt that holds the rooster to the shift shaft was loose. I indexed the shaft to the rooster & tightened the clamp. Assembled everything, adjusted the shifter cable & tested all gears; everything working.

I finished breaking in the gears in reverse. Yes, it was in the Moser instructions. Plus, the new brakes on the rear should be broken in pretty good now.

Sweet, good thing you eyeballed it, before the transmission sizzled.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the driveshaft installed I was able to get 5 data logs for the tuner to look at & make changes to the tune up. I have to send a log for: cold start, hot start, steady state rpm both on low & high gear & finally a varied throttle with shifts/stops.

I got the logs sent off & the tuner returned them with revised changes in the tune. I still have to get the IAC set correctly for the cold & hot starts. After the AIC the next step in logging is full throttle runs to 5,000 to 6,000 rpm. I hope to do this in a couple weeks. I have to get a couple small lights mounted up front. If we test on July 13th, we have a full moon. Other than that, the remote desert is pretty dark.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2520 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Lookin good Brian ! Call me when you test. We are testing Saturday Sonoma. Big motor. I’ll let ya know .

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4479 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Light aint so bad at the usual spot most here use these days. Good luck

AS for the rooster comb deal it happens been there done that. I had one that was overtightened and broken fresh from ATI. It happens.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think I'm ready for testing, my no prep/street racer guy is going to help out. I'm at the mercy of him when he wants to do it. He wants to try & get it done this week sometime.

There's a good many things I need to get done, not going to list them all. The brakes have been tested on the jack stands, but I need to check the brake bias. I want to get some roll starts out to about 330' & check the plugs. If everything looks good might take it to the 1/8 mile. The only thing the tuner wants is full throttle logs up to 5,000 or 6,000 rpm.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Got it on the trailer & it's partially dressed for Mexico testing. Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Testing went pretty good today, no major issues. Mainly did 2nd gear rolls up to & between 5K-6K. Got the data logs for the tuner to tweak on. The motor is still plenty fat. We did run into another small issue; the car was pulling to the left. Discovered the driver's side bar had way too much air gap. Normally we have it barely touching with no pre-load.

Other than that, we have no oil leaks & good oil pressure. I need to run the valves but heard nothing out of the ordinary. The DA was at 6200+ for the testing, but that's the norm for this time of year.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I posted a very short video of the Mexico testing; it was a 1st gear roll. I know the video section doesn't get many views.

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...0510359/m/6277069896

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This was after Mexico testing:

Drained the break-in oil everything looked good & nothing on the magnet. I need to cut the oil filter & I ordered a cutter; I usually borrow one.

I checked valve lash & everything was good.

Checked all the plugs, they are all rich/sooty with little to no heat on the strap. The plugs are starting to clean-up a little. The #7 is the leanest, #2 & 8 seem to be tied for 2nd leanest. The rest of the cylinders seem to be equal on the reads.

Adjusted the driver's side bar to touch the spring eye with no pre-load. I need to check the pre-load on the passenger side. I'll have to check my notes on that. Regardless the car needs to be re-scaled.

I checked my data logs that I sent to the tuner. The boost isn't coming in like I thought it would. If I'm reading the log right, it doesn't start making boost until about 4,200 rpm & the highest I took the motor to was 6,000 rpm & it was making about 8 lbs. This pulley combo is supposed to make 10-12 lbs. at 7,000 rpm.

I also noticed the voltage was dropping to 12.1 to 12.2; looks like I'm changing the alternator from 100 to a 140 amp. It's probably not an issue because we weren't getting much charge time in between runs with fan & water pump running.

Hopefully next time it will be tested/raced at the track in the fall. Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I posted a very short video of the Mexico testing; it was a 1st gear roll.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xWcjMBAxZE0

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to get everything ready for testing/racing in Sept. I leave for MI. Aug. 1st, haven't decided when to start the return. Either Aug. 30th or Sept. 6th, the later date puts a bigger time crunch on me for testing/racing.

We aren't looking to set the world on fire this fall. We have only made 7 lbs boost max. so far @ 6,000 rpm. This pulley arrangement is supposed to make 10 - 12 lbs @ 7,000 rpm. While I'm pretty comfortable on the current tune, I only plan on taking it 6,500 rpm 1st time at the track. All the tuning has been done without the water/meth injection so far. The plan is to use a small jet as a safety factor & for consistency at the track. We are starting with a 50/50 blend of water/methanol to start & will progress to a higher % of methanol in the future.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I had to change out my M/T 28 x 4.5 front runners for 27.5 x 4 front runners. The 28's were rubbing on the wheel lips at full turn. I had trimmed the wheel lips, but couldn't get enough clearance. The fiberglass front-end wheel wells are not the same size as factory fenders.

While I was at it, I went out to the storage building & checked on the rear tires. I have 2 sets of radial slicks mounted M/Ts & Hoosiers. They are both the same age tires & they were both used last time out a couple years ago. The M/Ts only lost 2 lbs air pressure & the Hoosiers didn't fair very well. Not bad mouthing either tire they are both great tires!

I'm going to start the fall racing on M/Ts on all 4 corners & plan on ordering a new set of 29.5 x 10.5 Mickey PBRs & might get a new set of same size Hoosiers. The Mickey PBRs have become my favorite radial slick, but the Hoosiers are a close 2nd.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The car is ready for the track in Sept. I'm ready to get back into competition, even though the rest of the year will be focusing on tuning. I hope to squeeze a win in along the way. I'll have to get the car certified at the track; I prefer to have that done before hand, but don't have the time. I've been getting all the track support equipment ready, along with the spare parts.

The trip to MI. for the month of Aug. will take my mind off the car sitting idle & ready to go. I've got plenty of work to do at Dads place. I have to put up minimum 6 cords of wood & Aug. & isn't the time to do it; I don't have a choice. As always, I look forward to spending time with my dad on our Birthday (same day).

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm still in MI & leave Sept. 6th & get back to NV on the 7th.

We are getting the cage certified Sept. 10th at the track & doing our 1st track testing on the same day. Plan on only making 2 or 3 runs; 1 or 2 1/8 mile passes. If plugs look good, we'll make 1 run thru the 1/4.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
B King do you own that big building you car is in? Its nice. Are you gonna try later to get into some kind of points system?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
B King do you own that big building you car is in? Its nice. Are you gonna try later to get into some kind of points system?

Yes, it's 20' x 32' and I need to finish the insulation. We are adding another 20' in length this fall, plus 220v service. We have plenty of room with 1.5 acres.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Are you gonna try later to get into some kind of points system?

I forgot to answer this question. I guess we have to get through testing this fall to figure out what we are going to do. With the ProCharger & the Holley EFI we have a lot of new stuff to figure out. Our local bracket program will be ideal to test the combo & I'm sure we'll sign up for points next year. We have 2 blower pulleys; the lower boost pulley is for the local brackets & the higher boost pulley is for the big money brackets. Regardless, they both will have to be tested during the local brackets.

If the combo works good for brackets, we might think about S/ST. That's low on the priority list & not sure how to skin that cat, yet! I have some ideas, but have to run them through my tuner 1st. Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Got home last night from MI after 5 weeks. The car is ready to get the cage certified & testing on Sat. It doesn't look like Mother Nature is wanting to cooperate. Eek

Hey, but only a high of 82*.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I wish! Last three days records set. High of 116 here but it’s a dry heat right? Side of the house out of the sun is 115. In the sun is 174 plus!
Brutal.
But you have humility too!??

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4479 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post