DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Our Racing Program
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Racing Program
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:

Looks like I'll end up removing about 100 lbs. total & should put me around 2950 with my 220 lbs. in the seat. I received the TRZ chromoly steering stem & Strange quick release hub today. Very nice kit & is adjustable for height.

I'm planning on racing the Thanksgiving race also. I'll be running the 68 Camaro for that one & any other race the rest of the year. I will have to stop by & introduce myself if you make it.

USA

Just don't be looking for a white car, I put it all black , everything but wheels and headlights ...LOL Hope to see you then...

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's a couple other things I want to get updated that I didn't mention in this thread. My spare motor & transmission.

My spare motor has been sitting collecting dust on the plastic engine bag/some slight surface rust on cylinder walls. It has been sitting dormant since late 2008. I guess that's a good thing.

Anyway, I think I built/machined this 383 sbc in the late 90s. It really is a budget piece of work. It has about 3,000 passes, run a best of 10.40 something & won us plenty of $$$.

Here's a basic run down of the motor:

Cast iron, stock 1 piece seal, hard-blok filled to bottom of water pump.

Cast iron, Sportsman 2 cylinder heads, ported by me.

Cast crank been thru 2 going on 3, they crack, but haven't failed.

Cast hypereutectic Kieth Black pistons, this is the 2nd set; they haven't failed.

Rods, Scat H beam

Roller cam

I'm changing a few things while the engine torn down. It's getting a refresh with a new cast crank. plus, I'm finally somewhat converting it to internal balance. As far as I know, it has to be external on the rear with a one piece seal crank. If it can be internal balanced, I'll have it done.

I'll have about $700 into when it's done & will probably be bagged/storage hopefully for the rest of my life. It has been a great/cheap motor, it was shifted @ 6K, but went thru the traps @ 7K +. It still amazes me.

Praying

I got the short block freshened & reassembled. I was able to have the crank internal balanced with only a small piece of mallory. I still have to get a new flexplate for it.

I put on new head gaskets & just set the Sportsman II heads on with 1 bolt holding them. I'm debating on putting aluminum heads on it. Seeing both of our cars have them on the primary motors. I really don't want to spend the money on a motor that will probably set dormant for another 12 years or more if I live that long.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2515 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This past week was busy spending money. Put a deposit down for work to be done on the 80 Camaro & on the new trailer to be built. The car should go in last week of Oct. or 1st week of Nov. The trailer is probably a 4-6 month build time, COVID has slowed everything.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2515 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Well, kind of on temporary hold on everything right now.

The fiberglass frontend & dash is supposed to be here in a couple of weeks. The chromoly tubing is ordered for the cage. Hoping to get the 80 Camaro in to get the cage done, fiberglass mounted & some smaller miscellaneous stuff done in Nov.

When the car gets back, hopefully in Dec. I'm going to pull the motor & take to engine builder for a rebuild & upgrades. I'm going to put our 385" in for a temporary motor. Then hope to start the wiring also with the K&R switch panel kit. Also, I'll paint the trunk, cage, firewall, front subframe. I still have to decide on the carpet to use in the car.

The deposit is made on the trailer & waiting on the estimated completion date.

I'm running the 68 Camaro the rest of the year & maybe next year also. The only issue with this car is getting the Dominator carb tuned so I can rip the throttle & not foul the plugs.

On the final note, I got released by the Dr. for work & start on Tues. I've been off since the beginning of Mar. USA

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congratulations on all counts

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Latest update:

VFN fiberglass front-end & dash arrived in Vegas the end of last week. ABF was the carrier & they farmed the home delivery freight service out to a smaller company. They received the freight on Mon. & we made an appointment on Tues. for delivery today. I took today off to take delivery as they don't schedule a delivery time. Well, around 2pm I called to check on delivery. I got zero answers other than they don't know where my freight is & after 2 sorrys. I lost it & stated their Fxxking sorrys was not going to cut it, along with some other choice words.

I called ABF & they tried to find out what was going on. They called back about 2.5 hours later with no new news. They are going to call back Mon. with hopefully some good news.

Meanwhile, getting 68 Camaro ready for the 4 race, annual Thanksgiving race. Then the following weekend we have our last 2 summit points series races. I changed out the 3 circuit Dominator for a 2 circuit one. What a difference in idle quality!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bryan, I had kind of a similar experience with my vfn hood shipment. It took seven weeks to make, which is what vfn said, which was fine, then two weeks to ship, which was fine also. ABF called and said it was in because I opted for dock pickup instead of home delivery. I get to the dock to pick up the hood, go in the office, was told to wait by the truck and they would bring it out. After 20 minutes of waiting I go back in to see what the hold up is, they said they cant find it. The paperwork says its there but no crate. I said how can you lose or misplace a 6x6x2 foot crate? They said they will call when they find it. 2 days later they call and said its there. I go back and finally get it and ask where it was, they said it was there all the time just in the wrong place. I cant believe they could misplace something that big. One good thing is that my hood fit perfectly and is a very nice built piece. Good luck with yours.
Scott H.

Posts: 293 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott,

Sounds like this is a recurring problem. I hope they get it figured out, I have to get my #1 SHYT BOX back on the track!

Are you guys going to race Thanksgiving or the final 2 points races?

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bryan, we are going to be out there for Street Cars and the Bracket Nationals. I didnt sign up for points this year cause I needed to get my shoulder surgery done and would be down for 8 to 12 weeks. Little did I (or anyone else for that matter) know what was coming to shut everything down anyway.

Posts: 293 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Supposedly my shipment was found & is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. We'll see, I'm not holding my breath. VFN is proceeding on expediting a new order for me incase this one falls through. They said 2 weeks to building new parts & time for shipping. Now that's customer service.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Supposedly my shipment was found & is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. We'll see, I'm not holding my breath. VFN is proceeding on expediting a new order for me incase this one falls through. They said 2 weeks to building new parts & time for shipping. Now that's customer service.

I turned down the shipment today for damage. The one piece front-end was darn near 4 pieces. The left fender took the hit. Eek

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
More delay and more damage...unreal BK. What does the MFG and shipping say?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that , when I was doing my hood and scoop combo it happened to me also that was 8 years ago. They told me to keep the damage one and sent second one 3 weeks later. I fixed the first one and sold it , that took some of the bad taste out of the deal.... NOT FUN

Super Angry

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
More delay and more damage...unreal BK. What does the MFG and shipping say?

VFN has been great, they are looking into the packaging of the parts. I'm not sure where & how the parts got damage during shipping. All I know is the customer service went to He...ll when ABF passed off the package to the sub-contracted delivery service. Hopefully the next package will fare better.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
Sorry to hear that , when I was doing my hood and scoop combo it happened to me also that was 8 years ago. They told me to keep the damage one and sent second one 3 weeks later. I fixed the first one and sold it , that took some of the bad taste out of the deal.... NOT FUN

Super Angry

Thanks!

I wouldn't have even attempted to fix the mess if they didn't want it returned. The left fender was pretty mangled. They are saying 3 weeks for my next shipment.

This is putting me behind schedule, but at least I have the #2 Shyt Box to race.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I turned down the shipment today for damage. The one piece front-end was darn near 4 pieces. The left fender took the hit. Eek

The replacement shipment is supposed to be delivered 12/22/2020 (Tues.). We'll see if it shows & what condition it is in. I hope all is well, everything has been on hold & I'm about 2 months behind now.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Received the fiberglass & parts this morning. Hoping to get into the shop within a month.

USA

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. Damage free I assume. Those delivery places can be downright brutal on stuff.
Good luck!!!!

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
clapping

All good I assume?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Yes, damage free! hopefully the fitment is good.

Here's pics of the front-end & dash. I hate taking pictures, but I'll try to post a few along the way.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436