DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Our Racing Program
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Racing Program
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Did some pre-fitment of the front end yesterday. I'm not impressed with the door to fender gaps. A few places have no gap & most have excessive gaps. I wish it had no gaps period & just cut the fiberglass for the gap. Oh well, guess I have some work yo do. Other than the gaps the rest of the front end & dash looks good.

The car goes to the shop next weekend for mounting of fiberglass, cage, seat mounting, steering stem, window net & some misc. other small stuff.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2520 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did some pre-fitment of the front end yesterday. I'm not impressed with the door to fender gaps. A few places have no gap & most have excessive gaps. I wish it had no gaps period & just cut the fiberglass for the gap. Oh well, guess I have some work yo do.

Dont worry too much, you'll be surprised how the gaps come around when you start trimming. Once you start sanding some material away in the areas that have no gap the excessive gap areas close up real quick. Just take your time and sneak up on it .

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
quote:
Did some pre-fitment of the front end yesterday. I'm not impressed with the door to fender gaps. A few places have no gap & most have excessive gaps. I wish it had no gaps period & just cut the fiberglass for the gap. Oh well, guess I have some work yo do.

Dont worry too much, you'll be surprised how the gaps come around when you start trimming. Once you start sanding some material away in the areas that have no gap the excessive gap areas close up real quick. Just take your time and sneak up on it .

HS, Thanks for the words of encouragement!

The original fenders provided a nice gap. I plan on making a templates from the fenders to lay on the fiberglass fenders. This should give me a better idea what needs to be done.

Thanks Again

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2520 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Good luck. It's those details that make it look good. Bad gaps are one of those things you'll never stop staring at.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
The original fenders provided a nice gap. I plan on making a templates from the fenders to lay on the fiberglass fenders. This should give me a better idea what needs to be done.

Got the gaps roughed in today, using a poster board template of the door. Then moved the template about a 1/4" forward on the door & transferred the shape to the fender. I still have some minor work to do on them tomorrow. Then it's off to the shop Sat. for mounting. I'm sure I'll have a little more work when I get the car back.

Thanks HS professor!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The 80 has been in the shop for a little over a month now. Progress has been pretty slow, but made some pretty good headway this past week. I forgot to take a few pics, but will try & remember when I stop next week.

The main hoop is bent & tacked in. They where getting ready to bend & tack the trunk bars while I was there. The radiator support was completed & weighs 6 lbs. vs. 24 lbs. for the stock core support. It will be nice to have around 100 lbs. off the long nose of this car.

Hope to have a better update of the home built shytbox next time.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s a thought if you decide to change to a different caliper, I am almost possible that most will interchange on the mounting brackets.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Come on man! You’re slacking! Laughing very hard
Starting to come together. I’ve learned at this time it pays to be patient.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4479 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Here’s a thought if you decide to change to a different caliper, I am almost possible that most will interchange on the mounting brackets.

If I decide to change, I'll upgrade with a total package deal. I appreciate the input.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Come on man! You’re slacking! Laughing very hard
Starting to come together. I’ve learned at this time it pays to be patient.

That's me, a slacker Spitting

I don't have time to be patient, we are all running out of time. Some quicker than others.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Big Grin. You will be busy shortly I’m sure. I’ve got honey doo and then go fishing!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4479 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Honey doos, no/fishing, yes!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Back to a full house again! After about 2.5 months the 80 Camaro is back. I need to pull the motor & trans to send out for upgrades/freshen. The car needs to go back to the shop for crossmember work, cut & box for more pan clearance.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Back to a full house again! After about 2.5 months the 80 Camaro is back. I need to pull the motor & trans to send out for upgrades/freshen. The car needs to go back to the shop for crossmember work, cut & box for more pan clearance.

Supposedly ... it showed up! Good deal Brain.

Raceless in California!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Supposedly ... it showed up! Good deal Brain.

I got back from the Divisional this evening. I'm plain worn out from all the fresh air & racing. Got the truck loaded & head for the Fling tomorrow with the 68.

I got a chance to look the 80 over a little more. I have a butt load of shyt to get done. The fiberglass is going to be a pain & I'm not sure how I'm going to fix some of it. I really wish I would have stayed with the factory front-end. The 100+ lbs. off that long nose better be worth the trouble.

I chuckled about your "supposedly".

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just kick some but at the Fling!

So it’s fitment on the front end? Gaps?

Raceless in California!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just kick some but at the Fling!

So it’s fitment on the front end? Gaps?

What can I say about the Fling. I think this is the 4th year for the million, I raced the first 3. The previous years Pro Class you had to enter the Million. This year we don't & I'm undecided on if I'll enter for different reasons. I have the money backer's (Thank-You!) & I appreciate the many opportunities they have afforded me. Anyway, of the past 3 years I considered myself competitive 2 of them & that was done with our 80 Camaro. The last one I used the 68 Camaro & got my butt kicked.

Here's a war story, I think it was during the 2019 race. The announcer told me he had one of the Top NHRA Sportsman Racer's that have ran the Pro Class in the booth. He stated, I didn't bring a knife to a gun fight, I brought a spoon.

When I get a chance, I'll post up pics of what I'm talking about. Maybe someone will have some ideas.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I took a little time to pull the motor & trans out of the 80 Camaro yesterday. I reminded myself this motor has never been out of the car and was installed in 2008. It has gotten good preventive maintenance over them years with only valve springs & lifters being replaced every 2 years. I know the top-end has all good overkill parts, but I don't know what it has for a rotating assembly. Anyway, I hope to pull a few caps today to check bearings (curious).

This motor & my spare trans are Sponsored pieces. I was there for the dyno testing/installed motor in 08. I never had complete information on the engine. The guy who owns it, finally said he has the build sheets for it. LOL! I thought I'd has ask for that information a long time ago. I do have all the info on the spare ATI powerglide though.

I'm still second guessing myself for taking apart a very well working small tire/winning combination car & totally changing the combo. HMMMM

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Good luck!!!! I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You got bored. I changed from a BBC to a sbc when I got bored. Was gonna do a sbf next.

If our track hadn't closed, I'd be on a flathead by now, I'm sure.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post