DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Our Racing Program
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our Racing Program
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Keep us informed I do really like your new truck and trailer. I have a few new projects going to but not ready to discuss them here right now.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3987 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
In late 2018 we decided to make some changes to our racing program. Thanks to all of our great Sponsors over the many years/years to come. We would not be able to do this without you.

Anyway, it was our plan to update both cars 68 & 80 Camaro to an 8.50 certification with other improvements. Both cars were supposed to be done by now. LOL! I'll try & explain it without to much detail, hopefully. We were also planning to upgrade our truck & trailer (2005 GMC 2500 & flatbed trailer) another story.

I started with the 68 Camaro in Oct. 18. This car belongs to one of our Sponsors. It sat in the hangar for 7 or 8 years. My son was the last one to race it, unit I resurrected the car. The car was completed in 3 months time, was certified in Jan. 19 & I licensed that month. I raced the car for 2019 race season & was planning to update the 80 Camaro starting in the fall of 19, another story.

I'm not much for pictures, but I have a couple. I thought I had some of the work that got done, haven't found them yet. I will provide some more info later.

We have come a long way since I started this thread in April of 2020. We have met our goals & then some. There were couple things that slowed our progress along the way; mainly the Pandemic & a major health issue I had during this time that slowed me getting my surgery.

I only have one major thing to do with the 80 Camaro & that's body work, wrap or paint. I don't know when we are going to find time to do it & we have a couple options. I'm enjoying racing it again, but going to have to figure something out with the paint.

2BKing Cool

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2514 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
In late 2018 we decided to make some changes to our racing program. Thanks to all of our great Sponsors over the many years/years to come. We would not be able to do this without you.

Anyway, it was our plan to update both cars 68 & 80 Camaro to an 8.50 certification with other improvements. Both cars were supposed to be done by now. LOL! I'll try & explain it without to much detail, hopefully. We were also planning to upgrade our truck & trailer (2005 GMC 2500 & flatbed trailer) another story.

I started with the 68 Camaro in Oct. 18. This car belongs to one of our Sponsors. It sat in the hangar for 7 or 8 years. My son was the last one to race it, unit I resurrected the car. The car was completed in 3 months time, was certified in Jan. 19 & I licensed that month. I raced the car for 2019 race season & was planning to update the 80 Camaro starting in the fall of 19, another story.

I'm not much for pictures, but I have a couple. I thought I had some of the work that got done, haven't found them yet. I will provide some more info later.

We have come a long way since I started this thread in April of 2020. We have met our goals & then some. There were couple things that slowed our progress along the way; mainly the Pandemic & a major health issue I had during this time that slowed me getting my surgery.

I only have one major thing to do with the 80 Camaro & that's body work, wrap or paint. I don't know when we are going to find time to do it & we have a couple options. I'm enjoying racing it again, but going to have to figure something out with the paint.

2BKing Cool

Well done KING and congrats again on your BIG WIN!

It didn't take long.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Well done KING and congrats again on your BIG WIN!

It didn't take long.

Thanks Mike!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2514 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have to give a shout out to ProCharger & Bob @ Brute Speed an authorized dealer. He gave me an excellent deal/support on my ProCharger set-up! Wink So far, the system has won a lot of rounds in a short amount of time & upped my game as I thought it would.
USA

The Procharger has help me achieve my short-term goals & looks like it will support my long terms goals also. Now, I have to get the Holley EFI
tuned, but it's approaching & close to the slower tune that I wanted to start with. Although, I'm re-thinking this middle of the road tune I have; mid 5.90's 1/8 mile. It appears to be the proper dial strategy for local & big bucks bottom bulb racing.

I still want to have a low to mid 5's tune 1/8 mile, for shyts & giggles. Probably wouldn't use it much, but it doesn't take long to change the tune with the Holley EFI. It could come in handy for certain rounds or races. Plus, if I decide to top bulb race again; I would use this tune.

2BKING Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Haven't had much time for this thread, been busy with the B-Car. Getting the shop organized from bringing in the new car, getting it on the chassis rotisserie & re-organizing the shop.

Anyway, I need to get the 80 Camaro unloaded & in the shop to get its mini phase inspection going. The car has around 50 runs on it now & all the fluids will be changed.

I made some minor changes in the ECU for the next time out with the car. I shared the changes in the Big Wheel Stand thread.

I have around 200 runs on the M/T Pro Bracket radials & they are impressive. I have a new set ready to be installed, but I'll probably start next year on the Hoosier radials. The Hoosiers only have about 125 runs on them.

Anyway, the new season starts usually in Jan. I've got plenty to do, thank God I'm retired. Big Grin

2BKING

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I've got all the fluids changed, but the transmission; cut the filter & everything looks good! I had to pull the ProCharger head unit off the bracket. They didn't leave enough room to get the drain plug off, it's fixed now.

I still need to run the valves & check a few other things. I'm still deciding on what tires to start the season with. The plan was to start with the Hoosier radials, but they aren't holding air very well. My M/T PBR's are in unknown territory for me with around 200 passes. They're still working great & not showing cords. I do have a new set waiting to be mounted.

The tune-up below was posted in the Big Wheelie thread, it's changing a little bit for cold weather starts. When I moved the car from the trailer to the shop. The coolant temp was 32* & not much better for air temp. Anyway, there needs to be some tuning done for cold weather, LOL!

2BKING Big Grin

quote:

Below is my change for the next outing with the car, tuning in the VE Table. The 2 cells circled are the ones being used on the 2-step set at 3,200 rpm in open loop. The motor is on 2.4 lbs. of boost in the 3,000 & 3,312 columns.

The original tune with the 1.44 60's was at 110 & 111 VE in the 2 cells. The only change I made to the cells was 113 for both & that netted the 1.34 60's.

The next outing will have both cells at 115 VE & hopefully it will lower the 60's even more. I'm sure it will not be as drastic as the first change. I'll keep increasing the VE until there's no gain in 60'.

Hopefully, the current launch retard & the shock settings will keep the car down. If not, I'll make changes to correct it.

2BKING Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I like the look of your 68 Camaro, nice and clean.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3987 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well get rid of one & get another. Not sure what we are going to do with this one. I've made 6 or 7 passes in the car & it has a lot of sentimental value. The car is owned by my friend/past racing partner. Our first-year racing, I won a track championship & he took second. Neither one of us knew what we were doing. I had a bunch of book smarts on bracket racing & I spoon fed him the little knowledge I knew. It worked out OK & we only got better. Lots of great times!

I had been away from racing for a year, stationed in South Korea. I came home climbed into this car & got a quick win.

Thanks Curly, the red 68 was a fully sponsored ride for both my son & I. We sold it for a nice price. It got replaced with even a cleaner ride above, same year.

2BKING ProCharged SBC running 5s. Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Thats a keeper Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Brian, looks like great ride! Has Little Man approved

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12275 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Thats a keeper Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:

Thanks guys!

The car was a great piece back in the day, but is outdated now. The car is for sale & we have some tire kickers. It really needs to be updated, then raced to be sold. We did that with the red 68 Camaro; we used the Spring Fling Million race to advertise it & it worked.

2BKING

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:

I like it and Little Mans approval is simply not needed.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to give a shout out to ProCharger & Bob @ Brute Speed an authorized dealer. He gave me an excellent deal/support on my ProCharger set-up! Wink So far, the system has won a lot of rounds in a short amount of time & upped my game as I thought it would.
USA

The Procharger has help me achieve my short-term goals & looks like it will support my long terms goals also. Now, I have to get the Holley EFI
tuned, but it's approaching & close to the slower tune that I wanted to start with. Although, I'm re-thinking this middle of the road tune I have; mid 5.90's 1/8 mile. It appears to be the proper dial strategy for local & big bucks bottom bulb racing.

I still want to have a low to mid 5's tune 1/8 mile, for shyts & giggles. Probably wouldn't use it much, but it doesn't take long to change the tune with the Holley EFI. It could come in handy for certain rounds or races. Plus, if I decide to top bulb race again; I would use this tune.

2BKING Big Grin

I think I have everything ready for the start of the season. We have a tune in the car that should 60' quicker than our best with this combo; hopefully in the high 1.20s. The only thing I'm a little worried about is starting on the Hoosier radials with 125 runs. This tire was quicker in the N/A combo, but they haven't been tested with boost. The tire is a 9" with 92.5" rollout vs. the M/Ts 10.5 with 94" rollout & the M/Ts have around 200 passes; the old M/Ts went 1.34 60' with the new combo. I'll have our new M/Ts along with us, in case the Hoosiers don't work.

We are going to up the boost a couple lbs. & removing some more of the safety's that was built into the original tune. This will allow more timing during the run. I'm leaving the fuel alone (still rich) with the exception of adding fuel while on the launch limiter (still lean).

2BKING keeping the fingers crossed! Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Fri. T&T:

The car is quicker & faster, but: the rear gear is not right for 1/4 mile. I guess that's what the high side limiter is for. We have heat in the plug now, but the motor is still pig fat. Plus, the converter is still too tight. Oh well, we start racing tomorrow!

Sat. & Sun. season points opener:

Quicker/faster isn't always better as we found out this weekend. I'm going to work on this set-up for the next races in Feb. If it doesn't work, I'll go back to the mid 5.95 1/8th mile set-up. I need to get something figured out & locked in for the Spring Fling Million in Apr.

Besides the above, we went racing Sat. & Sun. The car was a pain in the butt for reaction times with this set-up. We attribute the inconsistent reactions to the new front shock setting & the smaller leaking Hoosier radials. I'm sure some of it was me also! Eek

We had a 1st round loss on Sat. & semifinals (3 cars) on Sun. It wasn't pretty, but had a good time!

2BKING back to the set-up. Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I had talked to DRE for a diaper last week & submitted the order form. I got a call from DRE today asking some questions & giving me the price for the custom diaper. He said he would start on it next week; it will be good to have a diaper back on the car.

USA

2BKING Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Diaper was sent out this past Fri. Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Last time out at the end of March, we had issues with the blower belts breaking. Like I stated below we only changed the static pre-load on the tensioner. I checked out the whole system to make sure there wasn't another issue causing the problem.

Anyway, ordered new belts & changed the tensioner back to the original position. Took the car back out for some Mexico street testing. Eek Made 3 short hits & no issues with the belt. Our track cancelled our early May points races & the plan is to haul to CA on the same weekend for some Summit bracket racing.

While I had the car in the shop doing maintenance. I installed the diaper & it fits really nice, much better than the previous owner's diaper.

The slip below shows what the car runs with no blower belt. I made no changes to the tune/set-up. I'm sure the motor didn't like getting its air from a nonfunctional ProCharger, probably a pretty good restriction.

2BKING Smile

quote:
I had to dial blind this past weekend. I thought I was holding but did have a great light. LOL!

I made a small tensioner preload change, middle of adjustment range. The blower belts didn't like it.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Update, we raced at Irwindale, CA this past Sun. No issues with the blower belt & ran our best MPH in the 1/8 by 1.5 mph!

2BKING Cool

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
49,000+ views with only a couple drama post from Mike Rietow & Head Games on the 1st page. That being said, not too many threads that get this many views without Major Drama!

2BKING thanks you for looking & replying. Cool

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436