DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Aerospace brakes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aerospace brakes
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Just giving him every chance to keep his word.. BlahBlah

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Back around 1996 I had a dragster built by a local racer who did mostly door cars.

I finished the car at home and yes it was home built and a one off....

Weighed 1875 and went eventually a best of 7.78 170+

Aerospace brakes.....

Only issue I ever had was the hat to rotor bolts loosened up and damaged the mount.

My fault for not using red thread locker on those bolts. Never happened again after cleaning bolts and holes and using Red loctite.

With green gator pads I could park that car and did for the W many times.....

My current car is faster and 100lbs heavier.....

I have had Strange, Wilwood, Aerospace, M-W and even Hurst Aerhart !! Now they really suc'ed !!!

The faster you go and the heavier the car the more you need to buy the better brakes, for sure....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with Aerospace brakes,but they are a sponsor in the NMCA and I see lots of cars using them.
For that reason,they can't be all that bad of a company.At least they give back something to the racers.I was even fortunate enough to be in the NMCA Aerospace Components Winner's Circle a few times which they also sponsor.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Wow Rich! I had completely forgot about Hurst Airhart brakes Rich. My Ron Fry (1983)ultra light RED had them! What a pain in the a z z. Boy did they fade late rounds.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Had a 65 model Don Long car with Airheart brakes. That brings back some memories!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Back around 1996 I had a dragster built by a local racer who did mostly door cars.

I finished the car at home and yes it was home built and a one off....

Weighed 1875 and went eventually a best of 7.78 170+

Aerospace brakes.....

Only issue I ever had was the hat to rotor bolts loosened up and damaged the mount.

My fault for not using red thread locker on those bolts. Never happened again after cleaning bolts and holes and using Red loctite.

With green gator pads I could park that car and did for the W many times.....

My current car is faster and 100lbs heavier.....

I have had Strange, Wilwood, Aerospace, M-W and even Hurst Aerhart !! Now they really suc'ed !!!

The faster you go and the heavier the car the more you need to buy the better brakes, for sure....

Where can I go to get more info on "green gator pads".....

I always safety wire everything important back there...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Dave I have not seen those pads for years and don’t even recall who made them.

They were green and very aggressive and did not tear up the rotors.

I think maybe they came with those Aerospace brakes.

I had trouble finding replacements after a while.

Probably used DR-97’s after that.

To many years and cars ago to recall exactly.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Wow Rich! I had completely forgot about Hurst Airhart brakes Rich. My Ron Fry (1983)ultra light RED had them! What a pain in the a z z. Boy did they fade late rounds.

The Vega I bought in 1985 had H-A rear brakes and spots on the front. Tandem MC’s linked together.

Horrible stuff !

I put Wilwoods on the rear, better mounts on the front but still with the spot pads and a Lamb dual Chrysler type MC

Big improvement!

I foot braked that car bracket racing and could hold it at 3500+ with a BB

Dropped it a few times hard enough to scrape the headers on the pavement.

It had a Strange Eng. built custom A-Arm front end using stock Vega uppers.

Had a custom knuckle with an Anglia spindle and they were known to break but I never knew it until after I sold it. One spindle broke on the trailer for my friend who bought it from me. One guy I knew had one break on the track, hit the guard wall !

Hokey engineering was more like it !

I was going to put struts on that car if I kept it.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
In the early 80's I ran wildwood in a few cars.
Now its MW with Carbon Fiber rotors. It will stop you on a dime. Pretend your life depends on all the safety gear you have. Brakes are safety gear.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD1964,

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Too many good manufactures out there to deal with aerospace. MW, strange, lamb and Moser are all plenty fine choices.

Getting started on a new build and chose strange

This message has been edited. Last edited by: racerdude2054,

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
add another, racerdude2054...KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Again, B King knows how to win with Aerospace brakes on all four corners for around 15 years. No issues & work just fine for a high 9 sec. 3000 lb. home built, best working, small tire, shytbox bracket car. Wink

Now that I'm upgrading the rest of the car. I'm considering upgraded brakes in the package.

Gosh, I don't how I was able to have a well above average successful 32+ years of bracket racing. Plus, I'm able to continue my success in my later years. To bad somebody HATES my success, just because he can't get the job done in the seat. Razz

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Again, B King knows how to win with Aerospace brakes on all four corners for around 15 years. No issues & work just fine for a high 9 sec. 3000 lb. home built, best working, small tire, shytbox bracket car. Wink

Now that I'm upgrading the rest of the car. I'm considering upgraded brakes in the package.

Gosh, I don't how I was able to have a well above average successful 32+ years of bracket racing. Plus, I'm able to continue my success in my later years. To bad somebody HATES my success, just because he can't get the job done in the seat. Razz

If you are considering “upgrading brakes.” Will you stay with aerospace?

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
quote:

If you are considering “upgrading brakes.” Will you stay with aerospace?

No, but I don't have a problem with aerospace. They had there place with my set-up & budget at the time. With the car getting updated & more power. I'm looking at upgrading just about everything on the car!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B KING,

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Just giving him every chance to keep his word.. BlahBlah

Duh! Hello! You know when he says he will race you he actually means he will get his Son / Stepson to race you. He sounds like a Kindergartner "My Daddy can beat up your Daddy!"

He is NOT going to race you. Give it up, move along not going to happen. He may get his kid to run you and then if he wins go around beating his chest like he is some kind of bad @$$. If he loses you did not beat Ed you beat someone else. But HE is NOT going to race you.

He/she is a keyboard warrior and has not won anything in many years. Trying to live vicariously off of his child that he pit B!tche$ for and obviously has way more talent than he ever will.

A real man goes out there does his best and tries to learn from his losses and get better. A real man lets his performance speak for itself and does not have to continue bragging about that one time in 1995 when he / she won a race.
A real man respects others and does not call them a bunch of childish names and insults and threats.
If He thinks anyone respects him because of his insults he is wrong. Just because he insults everyone does not make him a better driver. HE STILL CAN NOT WIN. He may be able to talk trash but can not win. Typical Small Man Syndrome with inferiority Complex.
Respect is earned by treating others right and winning races. And airing up tires / pit B!+ch for someone who can drive does not cut it and does not make you a winner.

Back to the subject of brakes most all of them have rather whimpy mounting brackets and can flex which causes problems. From what I can tell much of the problems with brakes is flex on bracket or caliper. All of them are similar design but must be mounted straight and shimmed right to work right. Right now if I was buying a new set of brakes I would look at the TBM brakes as I like the steel caliper. It is stronger which means it may be a little heavier but should not flex as much and expand as it gets hot as much as aluminum. When the caliper flexes it does not clamp the pad straight and square TBM may have an advantage there. MW is good and the Strange on my Altered work really well.
I have ran many different brakes including Aerospace and I think the Aerospace while similar design are on on the lower end of scale for quality. I would not buy them new to put on a car but if you already have them then keep the bolts tight ad make sure they are shimmed and straight and they should work.
Also depends on weight of car and how fast you are going what brakes and brake pads are best for your car. One size does not fit all.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ ED has actually been pretty mellow lately, probably not by choice. He's running out of forums to openly be a keyboard punk. I think it's funny, imakehp busting his balls or anybody else for that matter. It's cheap entertainment!

I haven't heard one bad comment about him in person. So, apparently he's scared or ball less to say something punkish to anyone's face.

As for imakehp hounding ED about coming to Vegas. It probably will not be the Spring race. Most people travel for the fall races in the West for the last 3 races of the season. Wink Dodge Nationals Oct.29-31 (Vegas), Div. 7 LORDS Nov. 4-7 (Vegas) & the Finals Nov. 11-14 (Pomona).

USA

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^ ED has actually been pretty mellow lately, probably not by choice. He's running out of forums to openly be a keyboard punk. I think it's funny, imakehp busting his balls or anybody else for that matter. It's cheap entertainment!

I haven't heard one bad comment about him in person. So, apparently he's scared or ball less to say something punkish to anyone's face.

As for imakehp hounding ED about coming to Vegas. It probably will not be the Spring race. Most people travel for the fall races in the West for the last 3 races of the season. Wink Dodge Nationals Oct.29-31 (Vegas), Div. 7 LORDS Nov. 4-7 (Vegas) & the Finals Nov. 11-14 (Pomona).

USA

Dang it !!! Now he knows a way out! Oh well, I'll just have to shame her for the entire year now.. Wink

Dave

F J B

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Dang it !!! Now he knows a way out! Oh well, I'll just have to shame her for the entire year now.. Wink

The scared weasel always has a way out, doesn't need help from me. Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
As others have said other better choices than Aerospace. And yes I have been burned by Aero space brakes and not just once. Im not bashing them they have their place just not on my bracket car. As 1320RACER stated right off they are inferior and then DANGER BOY and for sure he makes alot of passes a year. Add up 1320RACER,DANGER BOY and myself probably all togeather have 100 plus years around this stuff.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post