DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    14 Degree Big Chief heads #23538818
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

14 Degree Big Chief heads #23538818
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hey Guys
Looking for a back up set of heads for my program. Used and bare fine Old castings fine. Running #23538818 OLDS heads now.
Tech question is how much better is the exhaust flow rate of the 1.80" exh valve vs the old 1.90 valve ? Considering converting my current set this winter.
Thanks !

Posts: 24 | Location: PEABODY, MASS | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I only run a 1.86 in my stuff. 12* Profilers. I'll guarantee they flow more than the heads you're talking about. 1.900 valve would actually be too big

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Our 14 degree Dart s that Foltz did were the best until RFD convinced us we needed a larger valve...Combustion Chamber efficiency is the key to any head...not just how much air some flow bench says they move...

Posts: 227 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
stop believing everything you read on these forums posted by every snake oil salesman.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP1320:
Hey Guys
Looking for a back up set of heads for my program. Used and bare fine Old castings fine. Running #23538818 OLDS heads now.
Tech question is how much better is the exhaust flow rate of the 1.80" exh valve vs the old 1.90 valve ? Considering converting my current set this winter.
Thanks !

Chip

Whats the valve sizes now? 2.4/1.9?

Many older BC heads had this combo which will benefit a bunch by going to a 2.45/1.85 combo. Valve seats usually will limit the amount you can change them.

If you have a 1.90 EX now, you won't be able to put a 1.8 in unless you change the seats.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hey Al
Yea the int 2.4, ex 1.90 old BC Olds cast

Posts: 24 | Location: PEABODY, MASS | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP1320:
Hey Al
Yea the int 2.4, ex 1.90 old BC Olds cast

Chip

Unless your running a bunch of NOS, the heads will respond to changing the valves to the 2.45/1.85 combo. You may be able to tweak them a bit in either direction depending on the seat diameters and the current throat diameters. I did this to Rick Bell's 18 degree heads about 4 years ago and it was worth a tenth in the 1/4 mile with no other changes. I would not change just the exhaust valves.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
The Olds 14 degree heads were #22538816
Some were oval, some were rectangle
They still are a nice head.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
The Olds 14 degree heads were #22538816
Some were oval, some were rectangle
They still are a nice head.

I have a set of these on my 632...rectangle. Make good power, thanks Spanky!

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Will a standard big chief cast intake bolt up to the #22538816 heads? Don't know if it matters, but they are the oval port version. Also, what intake gasket should be used?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post