DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Interesting, Testing spark Plugs.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting, Testing spark Plugs.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnsUAqC3ON0

Never heard of them till this morning. (Brisk)

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Is that video saying a non resistor plug is better?

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I had to listen 3 times due to the fuel cars in the back ground. That's what i gather. I have never seen them measured like that with the DVM. You notice the difference in plugs in the inspection glass. Interesting. Never have i heard of Brisk spark plugs. That tests sure heats them up. lol Caught the last sentence, Non reststor
is the way to go. I think the MSD tech was impressed also. And that's even with a 44.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
with all the electronics we have now days i dont see how a non resistor lug would work with out rf interference

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1391 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Brisk plugs aren’t cheap....

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
with all the electronics we have now days i dont see how a non resistor lug would work with out rf interference

This.

And MSD has required resistor wires AND plugs be used with their products for like...forever. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Now the question. What other plugs will do the same,non resistor of coarse?Also DO electronic ignition respond same way? That is with 44 amp pro mag. My question do they work same with 12 amp MSD?

It did lead me to look at few other post. One was on plug gap with mag. One guy swears he has seen .2(checked it twice) with closing gap from .025 to .016,yea hard to believe. Interesting enough to make having second set of plugs with different gaps for a comparison.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
ngk b8es and b9es are non resistor plugs so already good there, Still would like to see ABA on gap change.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Back in the day when i was running the vertex, i always ran the TCW copper core wire. Back then RF wasn't an issue and the crower stack ran well. LOL When i didn't get a bad barrel of commercial grade
alcohol. Tore that fuel system to ***. He** i didn't know any better. Pulling all the garbage out of non anodized components.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
ngk b8es and b9es are non resistor plugs so already good there, Still would like to see ABA on gap change.

have been from .016 to .040 with no change

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Looks basically like the AUTOLITE X plug...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bubbletop409
posted Hide Post
Well according to all the hype on NHRA shows I thought E3 spark plugs were the cats meow in all the fuel cars? More advertising BS?

Larry
62 Bel-Air 409
79 Cole TR-2 SunsetRaceCraft 565 RIP TRACY
260 Eliminator Eagle XP HP500EFI
NO MO BOMA
WELL DONE USN SEAL TEAM 6
Proud Deplorable

Posts: 60 | Location: Castro Valley, CA State of Insanity | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CLARMO
posted Hide Post
quote:

What plugs are you using?

Posts: 12 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CLARMO
posted Hide Post
Actually curious to know what others are using too?
We've always run R5671A-9 in the dragster, R5673-8 in the door car.

Posts: 12 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

r5671a-9,10,11 you know whatever it takes lol

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1391 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We run NGK R5671a-9 in 555” alcohol injected. Best price is at rock auto.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CLARMO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is a NON-Resistor type spark plug.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
CLARMO
DRR Trophy

posted October 02, 2019 04:10 PM Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

well that shows what assuming does for me

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Trophy
Picture of CLARMO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
CLARMO
DRR Trophy

posted October 02, 2019 04:10 PM Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

well that shows what assuming does for me

I always thought they were too until we were having RF issues with a Holley Sniper system at my shop. I guess the "R" stands for Race???

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
: When should I use a resistor spark plug?
A: NGK "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking.
NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. This is because resistor spark plugs reduce electromagnetic interference with on-board electronics.
They are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as engine-management computers, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.
In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.
from ngk ,did some other reading not sure if it matters now, oh well

1.036, 6.16@ 224