DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    AFR 220 OTB 429SBC 741HP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AFR 220 OTB 429SBC 741HP
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
For the AFR lovers we just finished a 429 4.135x4.00 Made 741HP at 6700RPMs and 634Torque at 5300RPMs.Built for 10.0 Index and Pro-Super-Pro bracketracing.14.50CR Motown manifold with selective port work.Jesel rockers &belt.Vac pump.Isky lifters.Ran three different carbs .2 different fuels and spent time with EZPlate to adjust tune up for 10.0.Dyno sheets on YB.Bill C.

Checkered Flag Machine and Ceralli Competition Engines
checkeredflagmachine.net/
Racing engines and induction development

Posts: 110 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am always impressed with your builds. That is good horsepower for that.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
X2

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I am supprised to see a small block make that kinda power at those rpms. Will be interesting to see what it runs on the track.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
very close to my combo. I have been 5.77, 118 @ 2750#.

ep

Posts: 763 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
I am supprised to see a small block make that kinda power at those rpms.

Have you seen what the AFR 220 Competition heads flow. I believe heads and intake played a major part. https://www.yellowbullet.com/f...thread.php?t=2559625

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I built a 4.125x 3.48 (372) small block and eventually swapped the Dart Iron heads for AFR 220's and I did some port work on them.

In an early Camaro that was light weight that engine went a best of 9.05 at 150 with a Toilet....

20+ years ago...Those heads work very well....and that engine had stud mounted rockers and an off the shelf cam....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
I am supprised to see a small block make that kinda power at those rpms. Will be interesting to see what it runs on the track.

That's my thought as well. Even a great flowing head can only make so much power per cube at a given rpm. That's a great job right there.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIG SPEED:
For the AFR lovers we just finished a 429 4.135x4.00 Made 741HP at 6700RPMs and 634Torque at 5300RPMs.Built for 10.0 Index and Pro-Super-Pro bracketracing.14.50CR Motown manifold with selective port work.Jesel rockers &belt.Vac pump.Isky lifters.Ran three different carbs .2 different fuels and spent time with EZPlate to adjust tune up for 10.0.Dyno sheets on YB.Bill C.

What determined the choice of the AFR 220 size head for this engine build? And could or would a AFR 235 or 245 been equally as good/ better/ worse of a choice?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The engine was built around a car that will run 10.0 Index and brackets .We used some parts left over from previous engine and some new parts carefully chosen.Target HP 700.Also wanted engine to peak early so no need to run excessive RPMs.This engine in its previous life won 2 points championships in 2018 and several prior.Bill C.

Posts: 110 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by BIG SPEED:

What determined the choice of the AFR 220 size head for this engine build? And could or would a AFR 235 or 245 been equally as good/ better/ worse of a choice?
Either a 235or 245 would make more power with correctly matched components .but our mission was 700+HP and early peak HP.