DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Stacker trailer tires?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stacker trailer tires?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
whats everyone running on 16" wheels? Currently have Michelin XPS RIB Truck Radial Tire - 235/85R16, they are great and been on for about 12 years. Expensive... but worth it I guess. Just seeing what others are running before I buy new ones

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Will I never had a stacker but I would use the same you had. If changing brands I would buy Firestone Transforce. Back when my POP was alive it was Michelin or nothing on any thing nice. Wink

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
If you got 12 years out of your Michelin tires, why would you even consider changing! That's a lot of life out of a tire!
I bought a used stacker mid way through last season that desperately needed tires. I did a lot of internet searching, and found the RV world had a lot of great things to say about the Sailun (Big O)brand tires. I only have about 10,000 miles on mine, and less than a year of age. So I haven't put them to the real test yet. But I can tell you they look like a really well built, heavy duty tire.

Mike Boehner

Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Holy chit 12 years! Impressive!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6377 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you ever picked up a Michelin RIB or Goodyear g614 you’d understand why they last so long.....I would say if you got 6 cheaper tires two of either of these would weigh as much as 6

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would never run tires like that 12 years even if they did not have many miles on them. After say 6 years old they are at risk of blowing out and that could get ugly. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

But if your old tires got 12 years that is what I would go back with and just plan on changing every 6 years. Maybe 8?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Goodyear G614's......Amazon has has free shipping. Been on my last two Goldrush's and have had very good luck.....Howie

Posts: 72 | Location: SYRACUSE,NEW YORK | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
No crap 12 years? I would be putting the same thing on..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
12 YEARS ?! Was that a typo? Did you actually mean 12 months ? Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
They were put on in 2007 or 2008, can't remember for sure.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HSMITH1039:
Goodyear G614's......Amazon has has free shipping. Been on my last two Goldrush's and have had very good luck.....Howie

614's are awesome, but i would order them from simpletire, they are $65 less per tire then amazon with free shipping.

https://simpletire.com/goodyear-g614-rst-tires

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Toyo Open Country H/T - its what they use on all the cattle and horse trailers in Idaho too. Considerably less.

Posts: 2099 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've never had a Michelin tire that didn't dry crack the sidewalls. They last a long time for mileage but the sidewalls crack in about 4-5 years.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
G614’s are 14 ply and the Open Country’s are only 10 ply. Are there any other good 14 ply 235/85R16’s ?

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
GOODYEAR has actually brought back their HT tire which was a great tire 20yrs ago....

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob7181:
G614’s are 14 ply and the Open Country’s are only 10 ply. Are there any other good 14 ply 235/85R16’s ?
i looked into the sailun tires mentioned earlier in this thread, the specs are better then the michelins, 14 ply, steel, higher load rating, and ALL of the reviews I could find on multiple forums were positive. Found them on SimpleTire.com and they were about $100 each less then michelins, then after I delayed they went on sale even more for almost $150 each less. Just over a grand for 6 tires delivered. They will be here tomorrow. I figure if they last half as long, it didn't cost me anything to give it a shot.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Will, how much weight do you have in your stacker?

Please keep us posted on how the new tires do!

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob7181:
Will, how much weight do you have in your stacker?

Please keep us posted on how the new tires do!
trailer is about 9,500 empty, plus dragster and door car, quad, scooter, spares, etc. Probably like 16,000 or so I would say.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:

Ever just check out the date code stamped into the sidewall? You might end up on some kind of advertisement. By the way, what kind of speeds have you been trailing at? I'm still amazed, especially considering the load you were carrying. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:

Ever just check out the date code stamped into the sidewall? You might end up on some kind of advertisement. By the way, what kind of speeds have you been trailing at? I'm still amazed, especially considering the load you were carrying. Take care. Tom Worthington
14 th week of 2008. We've always run about 58-62 mph. Thats where the truck is happy pulling it

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link