DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    msd starter saver ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

msd starter saver ?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
its time to install one of these on my bracket car,and I am worried about reliability and my consistancy, anybody have experience with them,,,,,pro,s ,,,con,s any input would be great ,Thanks

Posts: 26 | Location: washington iowa | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
a band aid fix and known to cause issues. Fix the root cause.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Consider installing a MSD 7730 Grid controller to your present MSD ignition system. This will allow you to control many functions (start retard, launch retards, shifting on rpm by 1 rpm increments, shifting by time, data acquisition and more) in the ignition with laptop programming. Unlike the many stand-alone analog MSD modules, Grid contains all of these and so much more. This includes continued support in software and firmware updates from MSD.

Posts: 2446 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Throw that started saver away, as far away as you can! As was stated, fix the real issue.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Underdog99
posted Hide Post
Problem with pulling a lot of timing using a box and distributor is the rotor becomes out of phase to the point the spark can jump to the next closest terminal in the cap. I've been through this with broken starters and flywheels. MSD has instructions on rotor phasing to compensate but you need an adjustable rotor such as their Cap-Adapt.

Right now I pull 10 deg on start, have the rotor phased correctly and Powermaster starter. I believe some of my problem was a disconnect switch that was either faulty or not enough capacity. I changed to a HD unit from Summit and it pins noticeably faster. Still, with all that, I have resorted to spinning the motor before hitting the ignition on.

I should note that I run E85 and I have read that it and alcohol can be trickier to light off.

Posts: 72 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: October 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Underdog,

Some will disagree but a 16 volt system will fix your issues. No, I didn't really have an issue with my 12 volt stuff but I found a super deal on a new 16 volt alternator so I took the plunge. I would never go back!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Start retard is great for carb fires. Ed is right its a band aid at best..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the replies,i cant through it away lol I haven't bought it yet and now am not going to, this feedback is going as I thought it would

Posts: 26 | Location: washington iowa | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the root cause of starter kickback is one of or all the following...

1. starter either poorly built or has a motor that is undersized.

2. battery, not enough cranking amps or weak.

3. loss of voltage due to length and size of power cable.

4. pulling out too much timing while starting.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mario428
posted Hide Post
I have used one successfully for 15 years. For most of that time did not really need it but my 489 does with my battery starter combination.
There is one trick I learned. While it may seem crazy it seems like it takes the starter saver a couple of seconds to retard after the power is turned on.
So I hit the ignition switch, count 2 and then hit the start switch. If I go directly from one switch to another it seems the retard does not get a chance to work.

Posts: 984 | Location: Charlottetown, PEI, Canad*** | Registered: July 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
the root cause of starter kickback is one of or all the following...

1. starter either poorly built or has a motor that is undersized.

2. battery, not enough cranking amps or weak.

3. loss of voltage due to length and size of power cable.

4. pulling out too much timing while starting.

^^^^ Agreed with all the above.

The easiest way to check if you have enough voltage at the starter while cranking is to measure it. Place your meter lead on the main feed positive post on the starter and ground the other lead. Crank the engine with the ignition OFF. A 12 volt system that is wired properly with a good battery will measure 10.5 volts while cranking at the starter. If you measure less do a voltage drop test to confirm the disconnect and positive cable lead from the battery to disconnect is good.

Posts: 2446 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
mark , I'm going to double check the v drop at the starter I runnin a 1100 cca batt 1 yr old tests fine and a powermaster starter basically new so I don't think they are the problem, timing is 34 locked,,,thanks for the info

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
problem 1, powermaster starts are junk

whose battery and model?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have the high torque Powermaster starter and it is better than my Tilton Super Starter which is now my spare starter. When I went to the 139 tooth flexplate I bought the Powermaster starter. Worked so much better I changed over the Tilton for it to. The powermaster still starts noticeable faster and better than the Tilton.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3981 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong must be true, I read it on an internet forum.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have always just got engine spinning over then hit ignition once it was cranking.

Posts: 9 | Location: illinois | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We have tried two MSD starter savers. Both failed within months. Get a good starter, flex plate, and correct wiring.

Posts: 16 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For those that presently use analog ignition, prior to spending money for add on boxes to control 2 step, 3 step, ignition timing, shifting, shift lights, timer outputs or other functions consider this. The cost of a MSD 7730 attached to your present analog or even digital ignition can offer you the ability to try something different if desired for much less money and more effectively.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Cant believe I'll say this but ED is spot on. These starters now days take a lot of amps to crank. Go to the Meziere web site and there is a great wiring set up that use on all their starters and it should fix your problem.

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12274 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post