DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Clevite Rod Bearings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clevite Rod Bearings
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
My engine has Clevite CB663H bearings and I cannot find them for sale. The listed replacement is the CB663HN and from what I can find out it is .030 narrower and 2g lighter.
Question... Are the CB663H bearings available? and If I have to use the CB663HN, will I have to rebalance?

Posts: 42 | Location: East Coast | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
the narrowed bearing should work fine in my opinion and is a better choice due to extra clearance on the radius . it shouldn't affect balance enough to worry about imo.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I would say zero effect on balance. all will be same weight and its on journal not out at other end. Thats .030 less contact on what? Minor percentage of bearing area. Look at it like this. lots of folks run narrower bearing to pick up power,so that's just bonus. How much Very little but hey its power.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've run the "N" for a long time, though in a SBF. It can run either the regular CB663H or the CB663HN. I've run both and have noticed no difference in pressure, power or anything else.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Just looked up that bearing at my local engine parts warehouse(EPWI) the CB663H has been discontinued and replaced with the CB663HN

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The N bearings came along when aftermarket cranks became much more affordable and available. Bigger radius on the cranks required chamfered bearings. Narrowed bearings eliminated the need to chamfer your own bearings. There is no problem using an HN in place of an H...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As said, no issues and your good to go.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post