DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Blown trailer tire
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blown trailer tire
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So if you pick something up and it goes flat or loses pressure you can catch it. And if they lost pressure over time you got it. What would cause high temp and pressure? I’m just wondering how many blow outs theses really prevent. Or you are just better served to protect from the sun and replace preventively? Funny I had the original marathons on for five years with no blowouts. I put a ten ply tire on and in less than three years I have lost two

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bucky,
Two different times my junk china tires that came on my trailer just busted, kind of split in between the treads. The monitor started beeping so loud that it scares you lol, and the tire that is going down was blinking on the screen, so I knew at 55 psi my tire was going down. I was able to slow down and pull over before the tire went all the way down.

Its a huge peace of mind not having to worry about your tires since the monitor is doing it for you. I have them on all trailer tires and all motorhome tires.

Posts: 31 | Location: Roxboro NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Besides low air pressure and or cheapo tires, over loaded tires will run hot and eventually give up. I have heard that newer tires, the rubber does not last as long due to environmental issues than older rubber so that is not helping matters.

If you have a blowout without running it low and assuming it wasn't damage some how, that usually is a signal the rest are not long for this world!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
So if you pick something up and it goes flat or loses pressure you can catch it. And if they lost pressure over time you got it. What would cause high temp and pressure? I’m just wondering how many blow outs theses really prevent.

I don't think it prevents the blowout but it prevents you from driving down the road for several miles completely unaware that you have a destroyed tire carcass flopping around and destroying your trailer like the OP experienced!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bucky, I would really like to know the date code on your tires.

Posts: 521 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I was looking with my old eyes the the other night. Will look again

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I get no more than three years out of my trailer tires.....period. But here in California the two closest tracks I race at are 460 and 520 miles round trip. Summer heat is high and does not help on the road temp. One year I had a horrible tire year, had three lost tires one way in 200 miles. And my trailer, MH/Tow and race car are all stored inside my shop.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
So if you pick something up and it goes flat or loses pressure you can catch it. And if they lost pressure over time you got it. What would cause high temp and pressure? I’m just wondering how many blow outs theses really prevent.

I don't think it prevents the blowout but it prevents you from driving down the road for several miles completely unaware that you have a destroyed tire carcass flopping around and destroying your trailer like the OP experienced!

I can certainly agree with that! Although we had little real damage. some black marks and the fender needs a bit of smoothing/polishing. I have seen some real doozies at the track.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
5 years on each of my last two sets, The system I use allows you to set limits on the temp and pressure and will alarm if the limit is broken....

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Case in point. Tires had less than 4500 miles on them. But were 6 years old. Both came apart at 20 Mph pulling out of the shop. Truck is kept in shop all year in a heated shop. Only used at the track.
Stupid me, i should know better. I was in the truck tire business.. Got the DA of the year award.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So they say in a warehouse before I got them

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
7 years old then, to this date. I couldn't tell you how many times i sent tires back when i would get an order due to lapsed dates. I don't make a habit of doing free service calls and on some having to eat a tire/labor.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bucky, most of my tires will give trouble at around 5 years. Date code older than 5 years gets changed.

Posts: 521 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I noticed all the date codes were on the back side of the tires. Last tire I buy from them. New tires have 18 date code. Maxis
I gotta keep a closer eye on the condition too. Anyone cover their tires?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
In the process of this tire whipping around, it knocked off the lubrication cap on the other axle. What are these things called? It's a dexter torflex axle. 5000 lb I believe. I need to order or buy a replacement, but not sure what they call this cap. The rubber cover is gone along with the metal pressed in piece that it goes into.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bearing Buddies

Posts: 81 | Location: Ringtown, Pa. | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This is an ez lube axle.
Called Dexter and they gave me the cap and plug part numbers
cap 021-042-01
plug 085-001-00

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo