DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Blown trailer tire
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blown trailer tire
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
My first one on the road this weekend. 3 years on the trailer. Gladiator 10 ply. Didn't do the trailer any good for sure.

What really didn't help is that I had no idea it was gone, so it flopped around grinding down the fender until a kind person alerted me to it. Wondered why I wasn't getting passed much!

In the motor home, I couldn't see or feel it. Anyone using pressure monitoring? Anything reasonably priced?

Looked at the other tires, and the cracking must have started recently, and now they look bad as well. I didn't see the date code.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
Bucky there is a system my buddy has I think it was $270 for six monitors...I'll see if I can find it.

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have lost the entire wheel and tire and never new it. Found it missing the next day when I got up after the weekend. Luckily no damage to the side of the trailer but did have to replace entire axle.

I will be watching this thread as I am also interested in pressure monitoring systems and what most of you are using.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ya gotta laugh a little once you figure out everyone is ok. Geeze I can't believe I couldn't feel or see anything. The good samaritans looked like the chase scene from Bullet coming up on us. LOL. If it were night maybe the sparks would have been visible.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 31 | Location: Roxboro NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I added a system to mine as well, and expanded it to cover the mh tires also.....plus I went firestone transformer truck tires as well

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Buckey

Sounds like your tires are too old and the may pops are now will pops! If your other tires were in good shape then I'd say you could have possibly ran it with low pressure which can also cause failures but based on your statement of their current condition that is likely not the case. After 5 or so years it's time to replace them, especially if your typically on long trips and on the heavy side.

Not sure you would ever feel a blow out when towing with a motorhome either. I had one a few years back and only noticed it by the sparks from the steel cords sticking out of the sidewall from the wrecked tire... it sucks to have to replace a tire with all that tread left on them but it's better than doing it on the side of the highway!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
we use TIRE TRAKER

pressure and temp up to 22 wheels.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a TPMS system from eezrvproducts.com. It monitors pressure and temperature for up to 10 tires. It has already saved me once. Before I got it the only way I knew I had a blown tire was people passing me pointing at my trailer tires. I did see them sometimes in my mirrors in the daytime. Night was always a problem.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
I used the eezrv TPMS. It worked very well for me on the Fifth wheel. As Joe C. mentioned, it monitors pressure and temp and you can program both to your liking.

Another good system that the RV guys rave about is the TST.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
https://tsttruck.com

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
These aren't cheap are they? Looks like a nice system.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
These aren't cheap are they? Looks like a nice system.

I recently had a inner dual blow out on my Duramax, it blew the bed side fender right off the truck, that sensor system is allot cheaper then that bedside to replace.
I think if you do allot of towing, especially in the hot summer months it would be worth the investment if you could prevent just 1 blow out.

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
https://www.amazon.com/Sensor-...toring%2Bsystem&th=1Ordered this one yesterday...

^^^ That one looks like a good choice. I am also considering this one, Tire Minder Smart TPMS System
which uses your smart phone as a monitor via an App and Bluetooth. $308 with 4 sensors, another $10 gets you 6. Lifetime warranty, and free battery exchange for the sensors. It includes a signal booster to put in your trailer, but details are a bit fuzzy on that, sounds like it needs a power connection...

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I recently had a inner dual blow out on my Duramax, it blew the bed side fender right off the truck, that sensor system is allot cheaper then that bedside to replace.
I think if you do allot of towing, especially in the hot summer months it would be worth the investment if you could prevent just 1 blow out.
Agree, Steve. And the Summer months are when tires seem to just blow out with no warning.
What I do like about most of these new systems, is they also transmit tire temperatures, and you can set whatever temp threshold you want to trigger a warning.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I tried Toyo's and got a little over 2 years before they started going. Switched to Goodyears...wowser they were like 3 times as high and got 2.5 years before they started going.

I decided to go with Sailun this time, its what Vintage puts on their stackers. Nice tire and cheaper than Toyo and Goodyear, like $1000 for 6. My plan is to change every Two years...hopefully before one goes!

Will be looking into the monitoring systems talked about on here.

Lynn Ellison

Posts: 133 | Location: The Boat! | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So what would you look for on the screen that would tell you that a tire is going to blow?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
So what would you look for on the screen that would tell you that a tire is going to blow?

Mainly the temperature. It will beep like crazy in a high / low pressure situation as well as a high temp situation.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted August 07, 2018 12:37 PM Hide Post

when tires get low heat goes up ,this leads to a blown tire.tires that go flat and still run will throw rubber and do possible damage to trailer.my experience has been that tires that are overloaded and used in extreme heat,and high speeds,2.5 years is the limit.if not overloaded they will last longer.most of mine have been overloaded.that said low or flat tires can be seen on screen

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post