DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Rodents and wiring
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rodents and wiring
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
My sons 14 duramax dually... rodents ate the return line above the pump and the wiring to the fuel regulator. What a mess! PITA!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4481 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Try putting small cloth bags with moth balls strategically placed underneath the hood and underneath the truck.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had a neighbor who always raised the hood on his truck. He claimed the rats and squirrels wanted a place not out in the open. It seemed to work for him.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have only heard of this happening on vehicles that sit so maybe drive it more often if that’s the case.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I used to have that problem at home. I took a barn cat from my coworker; no more problems with rodents (including squirrels).

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I’ll try it.. they have cats and yeah they are out on 22 acres, horses, barns, hay etc... I told them, don’t feed the cats!
He drives it every day.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4481 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Being in the desert SW we have pack rats that love wiring. These rats don’t like lights, so many but any kind of lighting under the truck. I use led flashing light under the hood but a company call RAT BE GONE . A magnet holds them in place and alligator clip connect them to the truck batteries, have not had a problem since installed them, which is over 5 years.. Cats out here make great coyote food ....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Mice like dark warm places and are notorious for getting into Onan generators. They love plastic and will chew thru metal wires as well. I was told they do that to wear their teeth down because they never stop growing. Another story was something in the plastic on wires is irresistible to them. Last winter they were comfortably living under the hood of my motorhome. Eating the battery cable protective covers. I set traps and caught at least 5-6. No other damage. I don’t know anything that is really effective at keeping them out. Mothballs, dryer sheets, soap. They want in they will get in and stay in no matter what’s in there with them. They do a lot of damage to generators! I’ve fixed many that mice nested in and caused big repairs.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
get some peppermint oil, mix it about 60/40 or a little less with water and then spray it over wiring, plastic parts, ignition wiring, etc. Rodents won't touch it.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Call insurance they’ll cover it

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Da m squirls ate the fuel line in one of our cars a few years back. 22 rifle got a bunch of them and it never happened any more.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
FRESH CAB RODENT REPELLENT....problem solved...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Mice like dark warm places and are notorious for getting into Onan generators. They love plastic and will chew thru metal wires as well.

When I sold my last motorhome, I told the new owners at least 3 times, to check the generator fins for a mouse nest if it has sat for a while. 2 separate times mice made a nest in the front engine cover, and when you started the generator, it would pull their destroyed nest over the fins of the generator. I always checked it after the first time, but for some reason, they loved that area!

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The older design Onan's were the ones that suffered the worst.

Onan did away with ignition points and used a plastic rotor attached to the end of the engines crankshaft at the connection point of the generators rotor. Just like a crank trigger. 2 pole pieces swung by an ignition module mounted above.

Mice nested right there and you go to start it and the plastic pole piece breaks off.....NO spark.....No start...

To fix it....Remove generator.....disassemble as needed to remove generator end completely.....replace ignition rotor.....

Its not out of the question to have one nearly impossible to break apart from years of being together. I literally sawed one apart once.....

The older machine with points never suffered this issue....

Give me a set of points anytime....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
New plug pigtail came with 8” of lead thank god but a real pain to get wires out of buried loom for connection. All done.

Whomp I thought u were pullin my chain! Ordered some! Thanks

Raceless in California!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
New plug pigtail came with 8” of lead thank god but a real pain to get wires out of buried loom for connection. All done.

Whomp I thought u were pullin my chain! Ordered some! Thanks
Wink

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Saw something about two weeks ago on this.A bar of Irish spring soap will keep them away. If yoiu try it and it works let me know just for the knowledge of it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4180 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Rats love silicon grease. Have seen them dead laying on the floor with their mouth still wrapped around the tube of it.

"One Bite" is the best stuff I have found.

If you use a trap...bait it with peanut butter from the dollar store...they can't leave that stuff alone.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Peanut butter is by far the best bait. The plastic one hand squeeze trap and some Jiffy and you got em. Any “magic” stuff you find at Home Depot is a waste of money.

Last year I spent about $40 on various magic repellents to try and get rid of a woodchuck (gopher). They often take up residence under my shed. None of that stuff did a thing.

I borrowed a proper sized trap and caught him in 1/2 an hour with some cut up apples and relocated him to some nice woods.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have about 5 bars of Irish Spring soap in my motorhome and I have sprayed the peppermint oil most every time I am there. Still have mice.

I also mop the floor with Pinesol very often and keep towels and things like that in sealed plastic bags.

Good luck in getting rid of them.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3997 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post