DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pro Comp Aluminum heads springs i.d.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pro Comp Aluminum heads springs i.d.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Recently bought a set of Pro Comp 3002 aluminum heads the guy i got them from could not tell me what valve spring was on them ,they either come with a hydraulic roller valve spring or a flat tappet valve sprig how can i tell what is on them ,

Posts: 356 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
buy new springs for the cam you will be running, then you will know.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Generally a flat tablet cam will have a single spring, hydraulic rollers will have a single with damper or dual. Of course there are exceptions to this rule but for 90% of the generic heads this will usually be the case.

A quick spring rate check will also highlight which one you have.

Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
You should be able to have your machinist pull a couple and test them.
If they were assembled from ProComp and not a local, I wouldn't trust 'em regardless of the readings.
Hate to agree with Ed, but why take a chance? Buy quality springs with the pressures and rate recommended by the cam manufacturers. Valvetrain will be worth a lot more than the head castings, but who's counting?

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 487 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
cant find any info on these heads as to what size spring they take, there use to be page that had all this info .

Posts: 356 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCDRAGS:
Recently bought a set of Pro Comp 3002 aluminum heads the guy i got them from could not tell me what valve spring was on them ,they either come with a hydraulic roller valve spring or a flat tappet valve sprig how can i tell what is on them ,

It's a crap shoot.
I wouldn't do anything until the heads are inspected and checked for installed height, and correct retainers / keepers, etc.
Hydraulic roller and solid flat tappet are going to be very similar in spring requirement.
Race only solid flat tappet with stainless valves I like to keep seat pressure 130-135-ish and over the nose pressure under 400, about 350-370-ish, considering my use is 98% under 6600 rpm's.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post