Bracket Talk
Pro Comp Aluminum heads springs i.d.

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/1307055996

November 08, 2022, 08:59 PM
JCDRAGS
Pro Comp Aluminum heads springs i.d.
Recently bought a set of Pro Comp 3002 aluminum heads the guy i got them from could not tell me what valve spring was on them ,they either come with a hydraulic roller valve spring or a flat tappet valve sprig how can i tell what is on them ,
November 09, 2022, 04:03 AM
1320racer
buy new springs for the cam you will be running, then you will know.
November 09, 2022, 04:25 AM
NortonRacing
Generally a flat tablet cam will have a single spring, hydraulic rollers will have a single with damper or dual. Of course there are exceptions to this rule but for 90% of the generic heads this will usually be the case.

A quick spring rate check will also highlight which one you have.
November 09, 2022, 06:12 AM
Busted Knuckles
You should be able to have your machinist pull a couple and test them.
If they were assembled from ProComp and not a local, I wouldn't trust 'em regardless of the readings.
Hate to agree with Ed, but why take a chance? Buy quality springs with the pressures and rate recommended by the cam manufacturers. Valvetrain will be worth a lot more than the head castings, but who's counting?

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.
November 09, 2022, 09:07 AM
JCDRAGS
cant find any info on these heads as to what size spring they take, there use to be page that had all this info .
November 11, 2022, 02:45 PM
Goob
quote:
Originally posted by JCDRAGS:
Recently bought a set of Pro Comp 3002 aluminum heads the guy i got them from could not tell me what valve spring was on them ,they either come with a hydraulic roller valve spring or a flat tappet valve sprig how can i tell what is on them ,

It's a crap shoot.
I wouldn't do anything until the heads are inspected and checked for installed height, and correct retainers / keepers, etc.
Hydraulic roller and solid flat tappet are going to be very similar in spring requirement.
Race only solid flat tappet with stainless valves I like to keep seat pressure 130-135-ish and over the nose pressure under 400, about 350-370-ish, considering my use is 98% under 6600 rpm's.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375