DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2015 GMC/Chevy 2500/3500HD Duramax
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2015 GMC/Chevy 2500/3500HD Duramax
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
In early June I had to put a complete reman engine in my 2005 Duramax after it broke a piston at 104,999 miles.

We assume it was caused by a bad injector, but we'll never know.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What do you get for mileage unloaded and loaded? Any issues with the DEF system?

Thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: MN | Registered: June 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wanabrcr:
What do you get for mileage unloaded and loaded? Any issues with the DEF system?

Thanks

19mpg commuter
21mpg highway @ 75mph
11mpg pulling 10,000+ lbs. @ 75mph

These are best numbers and on cruise control except commuter.

No issues with DEF. The tank holds 5.2 gallons and I let it run down till the DIC won't allow me to clear the warning. IIRC, that's about 100 miles before the speed restriction of 65mph would start. At this point, I fill the DEF bottle with 5 gallons and I always have 5 gallons of DEF on board.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Just pee in the jug-free Big Grin 65K for a truck that needs pee. I don't get it Confused

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed,
Do you still have this truck?
How many miles are you up to now?
Have you had any major issues with it?
I finally got myself a Duramax truck 10 days ago, it is a 2015 with 65K miles. It is a Chevy, but probably is mechanically similar to your GMC, just wondering what I may have gotten myself into... Big Grin

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I do, been great so far with over 100,000 miles. On second set of tires and brakes. Only part replaced to date has been the in tank DEF heater. Also had the GM recall notices fixed, most notable was the leaking oil pan.

30,000+ views about just another white truck. Uncontrollable Laugh

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Nothing to do with a white truck but the idiot who started the post

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
34,000+ views about just another white truck. Uncontrollable Laugh

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
200,000 mile Holy Moly Update ...

It's been 2 1/2 years since I posted about this truck which is now 5 1/2 years old and has over 200K miles on it. It's been trouble free. No issues either pulling 14,000+ lbs. down the road.

Gets new OEM brakes and tires every 75,000 and got new OEM shocks, glow plugs and flushed the coolant at 200,000. Nothing else but fuel, oil and trans filters.

47,000+ views about just another white truck. Laughing Hard

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My Western GM Corp tech buddy said the 2020 3500 is a pretty cool piece. 10 speed but.. it’s not really an Allison trans.. they have permission to use the name. So far he is really impressed.

BTW... we need a; (What The French) button!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4496 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't really like the look of the 2020 GMC 2500/3500 but it has an even more impressive power train and towing capacity.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
My '2015 just hit 108K, (2500HD Crew 4x4 Dmax), I pulled the wheels off last weekend and inspected the brakes for the 3rd time, and they still have 5/16" pad left - inside, outside, all 4. So I put it back together. Had the In-Tank DEF heater fail early on, replaced under warranty at no cost. That was the only issue it's had so far. Been running the oil life down to about 30-35% before changing it, (approx 5K miles), using standard (non-synthetic) Rotella or Delvac. Fuel filter gets changed at 50%, and that is still only once a year. (Not worth saving $10 to push it and risk killing the injectors, to me). Couldn't be happier with the mechanical aspects of the truck. Towing 10K trailer at 75 MPH is a dream. No weight distributing hitch, no wobbles, no wandering, very stable, even in gusty wind. Has every possible option except for 2: DVD player, and Sunroof. Everything still works, happy for that. On it's 2nd set of tires, (I replaced the originals at 65K with identical Goodyear Wrangler SRW's, they are getting down there, still should reach 120K before it needs new ones).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
My '05 just hit 108K, (2500 Crew 4x4 Dmax), I pulled the wheels off last weekend and inspected the brakes for the 3rd time, and they still have 5/16" pad left - inside, outside, all 4. So I put it back together. Had the In-Tank DEF heater fail early on, replaced under warranty at no cost. That was the only issue it's had so far. Been running the oil life down to about 30-35% before changing it, (approx 5K miles), using standard (non-synthetic) Rotella or Delvac. Fuel filter gets changed at 50%, and that is still only once a year. (Not worth saving $10 to push it and risk killing the injectors, to me). Couldn't be happier with the mechanical aspects of the truck. Towing 10K trailer at 75 MPH is a dream. No weight distributing hitch, no wobbles, no wandering, very stable, even in gusty wind. Has every possible option except for 2: DVD player, and Sunroof. Everything still works, happy for that. On it's 2nd set of tires, (I replaced the originals at 65K with identical Goodyear Wrangler SRW's, they are getting down there, still should reach 120K before it needs new ones).

Put a CAT filter adapt kit on it to save injectors

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
A 2005 did not have DEF

My 2007 GMC has 100,000miles and runs the same as when it was new to me.

Rust is it’s enemy now and NJ winters

I don’t use it for towing anymore but it has tremendous pulling power and it’s dead stock.

I change the oil and filters once a year regardless of miles and it’s usually maybe 50 percent at most.

It’s been a great truck

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Duramax is a bad mother trucker.

I put a Superchip tuner on this one, CAT fuel filter adapter kit, Dynomax exhaust, Deep Allison transmission pan and switched the transmission oil to Transynd. I change the external trans filter every other oil change, oil change every 3500 miles and I did a Hydro boost tuneup on it myself. Runs like new approaching 80,000 miles now 2008 model. Like new condition, Michelon tires. I did put new Bilstein gas emulsion shocks on it all the way around as well. Factory shocks started giving up around 70k.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Issues with my truck

1 Trans cooler line started leaking slightly in colder weather. Got the supposedly better line from GM and replaced it. Not easy. Put Allison deep pan and Transynd fluid in it with new filters.

Almost to work one day and new “better” trans line completely separates at the crimp. Lose all Transynd. Tow truck to work and temporarily fix it.

Made my own lines using metal parts and having new rubber sections made at a
truck shop. Been on there for years with no leaks

Fuel lines and brake lines rusted out. Brakes rust badly and have to be changed from rust not wear.

Lower steering column rattle, changed it right when I got truck

Drivers side master power window panel failed. Replaced it.

Automatic door, radio switch doesn’t always work. Has been fine lately but does not like cold weather. Switch is not cheap and a pain to change so I’ve let it ride.

Lost an idler pulley once close to work. Drove back to shop no p/s, no p/b and no fan. Got Popeye arms from that ride. Replaced everything that spins except water pump. That’s a sick repair and I ain’t doin it when it fails.

I still love the old girl and hope to keep it a while longer. I’ll fix whatever fails if I can for sure.

Just put a new trailer hitch on it. Factory hitch was rusting bad. Had a big hole in the back side you never see. NJ winters !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Issues with my truck

1 Trans cooler line started leaking slightly in colder weather. Got the supposedly better line from GM and replaced it. Not easy. Put Allison deep pan and Transynd fluid in it with new filters.

Almost to work one day and new “better” trans line completely separates at the crimp. Lose all Transynd. Tow truck to work and temporarily fix it.

Made my own lines using metal parts and having new rubber sections made at a
truck shop. Been on there for years with no leaks

Fuel lines and brake lines rusted out. Brakes rust badly and have to be changed from rust not wear.

Lower steering column rattle, changed it right when I got truck

Drivers side master power window panel failed. Replaced it.

Automatic door, radio switch doesn’t always work. Has been fine lately but does not like cold weather. Switch is not cheap and a pain to change so I’ve let it ride.

Lost an idler pulley once close to work. Drove back to shop no p/s, no p/b and no fan. Got Popeye arms from that ride. Replaced everything that spins except water pump. That’s a sick repair and I ain’t doin it when it fails.

I still love the old girl and hope to keep it a while longer. I’ll fix whatever fails if I can for sure.

Just put a new trailer hitch on it. Factory hitch was rusting bad. Had a big hole in the back side you never see. NJ winters !

I'm surprised you haven't broken a lumbar airbag in the seat yet. I've had a few of those same problems with the door locks intermittent still.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Can’t break what you don’t have. No lumbar air option on my truck. Just power drivers seat.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Can’t break what you don’t have. No lumbar air option on my truck. Just power drivers seat.
I've broke two jumping in and plopping down hard in the seat.

Lord, please help me remember to get in slow/ regular... In the name of Jesus.

I think this every time I get in now.... Hopefully!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
my current and my previous '05 GMC 2500 Duramax Sierra has/had the lumbar option and never/ain't broke.