DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    transmission cooling
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

transmission cooling
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Working to locate and hook up trans cooler in FED. Looks like behind seat above wheelie bar might be spot.

Cpl questions. What pressure on cooling system and figure heat could reach 200*.Last is concern because was going to run SS lines thru drivers area,but thinking too much chance of burns when working on car in thrash(biker and pipes to blame). Normal temp? pressure? Wondering about lines regular or ptfe.Not looking for slick in high gear experience again.Not laughing at all.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Well I don't know what kinda power you are figuring on making but I see you aren't gonna have a radiator so why not leave trans cooler off also? Not kidding as I have run my other car for 4 years without a cooler and never hurt a thing and my current ride hasn't had cooler the past 2 years either and it is a doorcar running 5.26 in cool air. Your open body car will let trans cool better than mine.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Well I don't know what kinda power you are figuring on making but I see you aren't gonna have a radiator so why not leave trans cooler off also? Not kidding as I have run my other car for 4 years without a cooler and never hurt a thing and my current ride hasn't had cooler the past 2 years either and it is a doorcar running 5.26 in cool air. Your open body car will let trans cool better than mine.

What kind of trans temps do you see?

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a gauge on the car so I can’t answer that. I have a cooler for my current ride but wasn’t able to mount it where I wanted to and just haven’t gotten around to finding another spot. I was too busy trying to figure this ride out so just never got to it and it didn’t hurt the trans last time so I just let it be.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Some good friends raced their bracket dragster for years with just a loop on the transmission. They did really well and they just laughed when people said you need a cooler.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I don't run a trans cooler in my TS car. We won at the divisional in Bowling Green. Air temp was low 90s and we had about 25-35 minutes between semis and finals. the highest temp i saw on my data logger was 179.

It's a Glide from Rossler and he had it capped off and said it didn't need a cooler.

Posts: 133 | Location: ohio | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
After seeing that some here and on front engine dragster forum are running without. I figure to do initial testing w/o cooler and just watch temps.. I have temp gauge hooked up to pan and another sensor in pressure port. Hoping to try hot lapping some at Test and tune night.
I would much rather run w/o.Less chance of a leak,no fan to wire and less weight. Already have a electric leaf blower with extension that will slide in car and right to bottom of bell housing and blow across converter and trans pan at same time.

If I find I need cooling system I have everything here now .Hardest thing will be wiring in fan. So far total investment of 20 bucks,except lines to and from.

Posts: 4178 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
So, what's the ETA for getting this project on the track???

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
So, what's the ETA for getting this project on the track???

I would like to see some current pictures after hearing about it for 3 years...

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
going to get some pics this weekend. After hurricane clears out of here.

eta 2 years ago. Shyt happens in life and not all in our control. Ordering aluminum for trailer in two weeks.Have gotten a frame shop to let me use welder and frame jig they straighten big rigs on. Going to build open(floor) for now so 32' flat bed. At least can get to track and make some hits.

About to set up some clocks and make 330' shots in front of house. Hell my 170k in asphalt,long story. Don't think cop at end of street will agree with my thoughts on the need part.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Call him and tell him you need some help with a camera and for sure he'll be in it on Youtube. It will be his claim to fame lol... Like, Hold my beer and watch this...

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hell around here I don't have to call just go out to field(I own) fire off 4 or 5 rounds of .460 and wait.They show up,stop at house first and then down to field to see what I am playing with and if my shooting is up to normal. Lets say they know me. LMAO

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/a/6kvDP4Y

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Ok there is few pics made today while cleaning garage out during power outage from hurricane That dropped 6" of rain in hour and had some ungodly winds,Can not imagine what being in Florida was like.

Easy on old lady jokes guys wife reads these every blue moon,plus she had graying hair in early 30's. Still fun to rag her about it till she points outs at least she is under 50 and I can not say that.

Windscreen is on the way one in pic was rough first made model. Breather on right side is waiting regulator for vacuum pump so can finish blank off plate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine work there trainee, you should be proud.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
It really looks pretty good. Here is mine. https://imgur.com/X7iiCWy

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Nice looking car there. Dedication and hard work, soon to pay off. Is that a Parks car? What color you thinking about? That a 20 or 44 single in there?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Mag 12. Less trouble than 44 and 2 laying on shelf,so priced right. I know lots feel need for 20 with injected motor,I am not one of them. I mean hey they ran Mallory mag2 and 3's with TF running into 4's.Hard to believe I need 20 amp's to fire off 3gpm alky system with 14:1 when a 40 gpm nitro system worked with 2 mag 3's. I do have another 12 laying here.LOL Too much weight with no reward.

Curly I have full body too,but 20 lbs weight.Also have a chute body.Thinking of doing it up as show body.Have had race/show car and man it is pain to race and not mess up.

As for color going back to old faithful. Going with Starr Rider scheme.Already taped out Star and worked out pretty good. Cheap tape from Dollar TREE makes for cheap entertainment.LOL

Parks car?No. Parks input yes. Great guys gave me lots of info and that was before I ordered first piece. Would love to spend more money with him on some of his ultra lite parts. Probably will in future since car came out heavy at 1670# race ready,but it is bracket car mostly and cutting weight cost, man it cost.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
Chris car looks great ! Now get out there and put some laps on that bad boy !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post