DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission techs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission techs
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
He said band will burn up in center first if to tight....said a lot depends on age an fatigue like if someone hit brake while rolling thru pits is why it broke most likely which explains while burn up on outer edge..

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
looks like the burning happened after the center broke.what caused it to brake could just be fatigue if it is a stock band that has been relined.if it is a new body chinese steel may be a player.what is that knot on the edge of the brake is it just rolled metal.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coop5140:
I checked my shifter linkage, I thought it was 8 but whatever the number , I checked when I got to the track and had to add a half a quart to get it to the full line I didn't take the pressure readings because I felt like the gear set broke because it only went about 10 feet then free wheeled, to the chip, the run before it was about 03 slow. I'm gonna finish taking it apart today to check what servo I have.

"I checked my shifter linkage"
With the selector shaft in High, and the shifter in High, did the pin slide right in?
Did it repeat in low?
Did you check it some other way?

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Put a new band in it Coop. There's some nice pieces in that transmission, that's a ringless aerospace shaft. You should have two bushings that act as rings, as in the pump pic I posted.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
looks like the burning happened after the center broke.what caused it to brake could just be fatigue if it is a stock band that has been relined.if it is a new body chinese steel may be a player.what is that knot on the edge of the brake is it just rolled metal.

It almost looks like a tac weld. I zoomed in to 95%. Looks like the center was broke ahead of time. Never touched the drum. No hazing on the drum or the band material. Inspect that pin also. See if it rolls flat

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What pin are you referringGlide 2 https://imgur.com/gallery/F10fNdw to?

Posts: 62 | Location: south carolina | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Coop turn the pump over and take a photo. I wanna see if this has a turbo 400 stator tube required for cooler operation with the ringless shaft. I'm looking at the Image I asked you to post of the pump and can't see the two bushings in the stator tube. Hopefully yours is a newer design and someone didn't stick a ringless input shaft in a pump with powerglide stator tube not designed for a ringless input shaft.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is this what you needed ? Glide 3 https://imgur.com/gallery/7TbKpQd

Posts: 62 | Location: south carolina | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's looks like a 400 turbo stator. Just verify it has two journals on the back side with a hole in the center, inside the tube. That's your cooler for the ringless shaft. They must have a new way of doing these to get away from bushings pressed in the tube, looks good.

Put a band in it, check the pressure. Sonnax supported pin servo kit, it'll come with a proper servo spring. I'd buy a complete kit if I were you.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'd put a high energy or even a stock band in it. A stock band is a little harsh on a drum but they work great and will give you warning if there's a issue, before quitting typically. Either will work good.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coop5140:
What pin are you referringGlide 2 https://imgur.com/gallery/F10fNdw to?

The pin on the shifter cable, it should slide right in the appropriate hole with no issue, in high and low gear on the shifter. If not adjust the cable end to make it happen. Park is not important, low and high are.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Some good info in this thread.
I agree it looks like a tack weld on the band where it broke.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Park is not important

lol it is in denver

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is a killer transmission the OP bought. Not sure how that band ended up in it, definitely out of place. Get a nice operating band in it and it'll do some service, OP can put another 1000hp to it and not phase it. This is a high horsepower unit. It'll serve well.