New
Find
Notify
Tools

PG just Quit!
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a name brand T/D powerglide that I just put in my car a month ago. It has a total of 18 passes with no issues. Two weeks ago I raced a local bracket race and afterwards loaded car up and then went to out of town race Friday. I unloaded, warmed car up and was going to go tech in and car would not move. I jacked it up and with engine idling and trans in 1st gear the tires would not turn. In fact I could turn tires in either direction by hand. I put it in 2nd gear and tires would slowly turn in fwd direction but I could stop them by hand and even turn them backwards. With trans in reverse I hit the trans brake button and the tires turned in the fwd direction only and I could not stop them by hand.
Next I put a gauge on the servo port and it had 240 psi at 1100 rpm and 265 psi at 1400 rpm so the pump is good.
I pulled trans and the input shaft is good and no metal was in the pan. The selector valve was still engaged with shift lever. I put spare trans in with same convertor and everything works fine.
Any ideas? I will call the company in the morning to see if they can help but I am stumped.
Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as much info as possible.
Thanks, David

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I would check the rearend- Frown

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem a few years ago.i changed the valve body and it worked fine.it appeared some trash got in it somehow.brand new trans

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Footloose, he put his spare in and everything worked fine. I’m no expert but I’m thinking valve body.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
only a guess, but I would check converter charge circuit based on given info.i am assuming you drove into trailer at last race.this would rule out broken parts. please post what you find after tear down.

Posts: 46 | Location: in the lab | Registered: May 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
if it is a hughes convertor there is a shaft issue.saw that last year.thinking it was a length issue.it was an engagement issue in the convertor.look at the very ebd of shaft may see a sign

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Called builder today and they suspect possible drum failure of some kind or broken clutch splines. Said it probably something odd like that. Fortunately they have a vendor near me and they said take it to him and they will take care of it through him. It’s at his shop now so we’ll see.

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
yes i talked to the other david a while ago,i did have the top of the high gear drum break out on me last year,i know he will fix it

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Might have ripped spines out of converter, especially if the transmission still has pressure.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Have one on the bench with the splines tore out of the converter. One quick way to tell, put the input in there and spin by hand.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Converter is good as is the input shaft. When this happened Friday afternoon I put spare trans in with the same converter and raced Saturday and Sunday with no issues. Haven’t heard anything yet and the shop that will tear it down is headed to a divisional race tomorrow so it will be next week before I know any more.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had this happen several years ago, and it turned out that the pin that held in the bypass valve snapped and would allow the trans to build enough pressure for the trans to function.

Posts: 51 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So what did the trans. guy find ?

Posts: 46 | Location: in the lab | Registered: May 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by professr007:
So what did the trans. guy find ?

More important have they taken care of problem and under warranty?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3963 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
If it made 240 at the servo then the pump and vb are working. The suspect would be the input shaft. I have seen where the input will travel forward as they float and go thru the spline of the converter and pull out of planetary sun gear. Inspect the rear of the input for burs on the end of the spline. Let me know if I can help otherwise.

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The above happened to me last year on a combo I had been running three years.

Posts: 16 | Location: Not at work | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Well so far there is no smoking gun. The internals all look brand new. A new valve body is on the way but it seems odd that pressure followed gear position.
Greg, I did not look at the end of the input shaft but now that you mentioned it when I removed the converter the shaft came out part way and would not go back in all the way. At the time I didn’t worry about it because I was going back with the spare transmission. I will call the builder tomorrow and ask him to look at the splines at the planetary end. If that is the problem what is the fix?
So far the company is standing behind their product.
Thanks for the help and I will update when I have more info.
David

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Converter has to have a spacer welded into it to keep shaft from moving to far forward. FTI can correct your problem if that's it.

Posts: 16 | Location: Not at work | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
FTI Greg for the win! Talked to trans guy today and he found that the “wedding band” bushing would not go over the input shaft due to damage to the splines from the shaft moving forward. He had never seen this before. This is the only thing he found wrong so he is putting it back together. Next I will call converter guys and find out how this can be fixed.
This will be the next chapter in my book on things that go wrong with race cars!
Thanks for the help everyone and especially Greg for diagnosing it on the first try.
David

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
GREG and FTI are awesome and extremely knowlegable.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post