New
Find
Notify
Tools

PG just Quit!
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've been living this nightmare this year. I have a TS car. I've been working with Pete Scott at my converter manufacturer, Hughes Performance, to fix the problem. They've been great to work with. My transmission and input shaft manufacturer(anonymous) hasn't been any help.
Here is an article on this problem from the HughesPerformance website:

http://hughesperformance.com/input-shaft-evolution/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: donjetman,

Don-TopSportsman 92 Firebird

Posts: 2 | Location: San Antonio area | Registered: July 26, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...0760912/m/1857073186
Go here and then look at the picture that Greg from FTI posted. The problem is the input shaft. The darker shaft o.d. is smaller where the splines are cut. This allows the shaft to move through the stator splines. The lighter shaft's o.d. is larger at the splines so it can only move so far into the stator and stops. The fix is the correct input shaft.
David

Posts: 135 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My Hughes GM96 converter has been updated and is on its way back to me from Hughes along with a new input shaft that should get the job done.

Don-TopSportsman 92 Firebird

Posts: 2 | Location: San Antonio area | Registered: July 26, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Ok, so if my trans is doing the same thing, what is the fix?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted August 12, 2018 08:40 PM Hide Post
Ok, so if my trans is doing the same thing, what is the fix?

the right shaft can fix it ,there is another thread fromhughes posted by scott i think,with eplanation and shaft pictures
http://hughesperformance.com/input-shaft-evolution/

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1413 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mark,

You have a PM.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Vern, Danny of accelerated torque converters built mine. Come to think of it though, it didn't do this before his converter......

I run the BTE ringless shaft and high volume pump.

Greg, can you fix this? Only a few hours from you now...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Different input shaft is what ultimately fixed mine. Check out the post as Rusty mentioned. Your input shaft most likely looks like the darker shaft in the photos and you need one like the lite gray one. The diameter just aft of the splines is the difference.
David

Posts: 135 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post