DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Old Dead MSD 7AL-2 box
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Dead MSD 7AL-2 box
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Several years ago I had a very old MSD 7AL-2 box just quit working. I verified it was the box using an MSD tester. I replaced it with an MSD 7AL-3, and everything works fine now. Question: Is my old box worth anything? I see it on the shelf and keep wondering what to do with it.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Last week I received my 29 year old msd 7al2 box back from msd for checkups and repair. Total cost including shipping back on o me was less than $110. Maybe send it back to them and see.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Send it to Tech West. Supposedly makes it better than it was from MSD. Pat Collins was good to deal with. 704-995-4286.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Be nice if techwest would answer the phone or return you call after you leave a message on the answering machine.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Tech West. Laughing very hard

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As I’ve wrote in prior threads, MSD always answers the phone.

If you presently have the new 7330 (7al3 Black Box) and use some of the features ( 2 or 3 step, retards, rpm output) that are not offered in your old 7220 7al2, I personally would give the box to someone in need of this model box as a spare knowing they need to have it repaired.

If you call MSD with the ignition model and serial #, they should be able to tell you the age of this ignition box. For me, anything used over 20 years or if the old 7al3 red box when failing, I’d dispose of.

Here’s something I’ve practiced for years and am suggesting in analog and digital MSD ignition. I have 2 identical ignition boxes and switch these boxes at the beginning of each season. The reason for this, is that I know my spare ignition is in proper working condition. No guessing.

I also have these ignitions set up so that they can be easily and quickly changed. In the event of an ignition failure, I want to be back in the race, especially if it’s the later rounds of a race where time is limited.

For me the cost of a second ignition is minimal, compared to the money and time I’ve read about and seen spent by others changing mechanical parts first, thinking that this was their problem.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
Be nice if techwest would answer the phone or return you call after you leave a message on the answering machine.

wow, middle of a pandemic and they won't answer the phone? unbelievable!

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If your going to sell it PM me

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Actually sr4440, my response is based off trying to contact techwest in late Jan/early feb. I gave up on them and sent the box to msd in mid February and have had it back for three weeks on this coming Friday. So no, not during a pandemic.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Yea I tried two years ago to get ahold of Tech West and gave up after month or so and sent to MSD and was back two week later.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have recently had some old MSD boxes chit the bed...when they told me my last 7al3 box was built in 1996 I decided I did not want 24 year old technology in my ride racing for the level of money we race for...I went with the grid for a replacement based off of Mark and MSD information given.

Just an opinion...

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post