DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    NEW SFI WHEEL RULE Amendment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW SFI WHEEL RULE Amendment
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Had a set of spinwerks that cracked...replaced centers with weld v series...problem solved.

The sticker is BS...officials dont inspect wheels...they just want to see a sticker?

Better yet weld is getting $2400.00 per wheel on the deltas and the freaking anodizing is turning grey in under a year...very expensive wheel to look like chit in under a year of use...Stickers still on...

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Weld has had an issue with their anodizing for at least 3 years. I helped Trevor Denton get a set replaced for him that was doing the fade deal. When I spoke to their Motorsports guy and Big Wig at PRI they looked at me with a dear in a headlight look. I said guys really? You don't know you have an issue? They said have him contact us.

SL...

Posts: 2100 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of T. Denton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Weld has had an issue with their anodizing for at least 3 years. I helped Trevor Denton get a set replaced for him that was doing the fade deal. When I spoke to their Motorsports guy and Big Wig at PRI they looked at me with a dear in a headlight look. I said guys really? You don't know you have an issue? They said have him contact us.

They guy from Weld did take care of mine but unfortunately they have not taken care of the actual anodizing problem. My new ones did the exact same thing.
The first thing I was asked was what I used to clean them with. I never use any chemicals to clean mine only water.
I think it possibly has to do with the brake dust and/or heat because you almost never see the dragster front wheels fade. Surface finish is also possibly a factor because the rings and centers seem to go quicker and they have a machined finished that you can see the lathe tool marks in.

TD-I may get the brakes hot from time to time lol...

Posts: 169 | Location: Bristol, TN | Registered: December 23, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T. Denton:
quote:

They guy from Weld did take care of mine but unfortunately they have not taken care of the actual anodizing problem. My new ones did the exact same thing.
The first thing I was asked was what I used to clean them with. I never use any chemicals to clean mine only water.
I think it possibly has to do with the brake dust and/or heat because you almost never see the dragster front wheels fade. Surface finish is also possibly a factor because the rings and centers seem to go quicker and they have a machined finished that you can see the lathe tool marks in.

TD-I may get the brakes hot from time to time lol...
Must have change anodizing process or company doing cuz mine old set still look good..

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of T. Denton
posted Hide Post
Yep its odd I see some old ones that look new and others that are grey.

Posts: 169 | Location: Bristol, TN | Registered: December 23, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
so let me get this straight. the way I read this is if your wheels were never sfi tagged then you are in the good. is this correct or are they forcing me to buy wheels because mine are so old they are not certified?

ep-mine are certified round

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
That should be correct P

Posts: 2100 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
thank you sir.

ep-would like to get some new wheels but them things are pricey and only have a few weeks before first race

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
All of this is concerning. I've had Alumastars on my car for about 15 years. Weld website says Alumastar is SFI certified. My wheels did not come with SFI stickers on them when they were new. Confused

Matt Ward

Posts: 1390 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I spoke with a NHRA tech guy the other day, I was told that the only cars that need SFI wheels would be cars going 6.50 et and/or 210 mph just what I was told I would think they would be in the know.

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
cars that need SFI wheels would be cars going 6.50 et and/or 210 mph just

read the first post and the link...says all classes

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
quote:

While it does say all classes it also seems to imply only to wheels that were ORIGINALLY certified. So what if they were never certified to start with? Doesn't say in this link that you cant run them. Since this is an amendment someone would have to read the entire rules section in whole to get the full understanding.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
im going to make a bet the nhra tech guys have a list of what wheels came with stickers and what didn't...there are only so many brands out there

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I heard from a trusted source 6.50 and 210 also they currently have no way to identify an originally tagged sfi wheel.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I heard from a trusted source 6

CNN?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I heard from a trusted source 6

CNN?

Sure if that works for you.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Like I said NHRA tech guy should be in the know

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
I think this is one of those "amendments" that will be open to the tech officials interpretation in the beginning BUT they will be corrected as the year goes by.

IF it is only for classes/cars "Required" to have SFI tagged wheels why NOT SAY THAT.

Instead it says "IN ALL OTHER CATEGORIES".
Now if it said "IN ALL OTHER CATEGORIES THAT REQUIRE SFI TAGGED WHEELS", that would be different.

I don't really care because all my wheels are tagged BUT the way it is written it states pretty plainly that it is for ALL OTHER CATEGORIES for ANY wheel that had an SFI TAG, it must still have one.

Can't get much simpler than that.
Maybe they will re-write it IF that is not what they meant.
Wink

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
When this amendment came out, I saw several issues NHRA was going to have enforcing this rule.
I called two different division directors for several weeks trying to get some clarity on the "new rule." It seemed to me like even the directors had a little confusion. They were chatting with other directors trying to come up with a way to enforce the rule. BOTH DD's called me back with the same answer....the sfi rule will only be required on those cars running fast enough to need the sticker. Tech guys are going to "turn their head" on all other classes.

Mike Boehner

Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post