DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    NEW SFI WHEEL RULE Amendment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW SFI WHEEL RULE Amendment
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted
http://www.nhraracer.com/conte...eid=71672&zoneid=132

Looks like any SFI certified rear wheels MUST KEEP their SFI labeling for ANY class.
I know a lot of companies straighten/beadlock/powder coat wheels and remove the labels. Now they will need to certify them.

I wonder how the wheel certification companies will handle this if they didn't perform the work.

Not to mention, how is NHRA going to enforce this?
How will they know if the wheels came with a sticker on them or not?

hhhmmm

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Not including any class that a SFI certified wheel is required, I guess when you show up with a wheel without a SFI sticker you will find out how

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I just had mine recerted this last weekend. Stickers were gone so had too. SFI 15.3 for my stuff, every two years... yay.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Racers don't forget about this

Posts: 2099 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
Racers don't forget about this

I recently heard the "all other classes" still only applied to cars going 6.50 or 210 mph and the tech directors have no way to know if a wheel originally had a tag to begin with.

Soon enough we will find out how it will be enforced.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 463 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I will find out at the Orlando divisional in a few weeks...im making sure everything is up to date including my flywheel!!

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A friend just sent some powder coated wheels to WELD to get beadlock and they came back with SFI STICKER....

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
I will find out at the Orlando divisional in a few weeks...im making sure everything is up to date including my flywheel!!

I've done the same thing. Need to get my chassis reinspected this year too...As much of a pain in the ass as it is, and a money grab, I find it's easier to just make sure you're in compliance than to try and skirt around the rules......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
A friend just sent some powder coated wheels to WELD to get beadlock and they came back with SFI STICKER....

How do you put beadlocks on powder coated wheel without messing up the powder? I would assume powder is messed up and will have to peel stickers and have powder redone.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:

How do you put beadlocks on powder coated wheel without messing up the powder? I would assume powder is messed up and will have to peel stickers and have powder redone.
Have no idea if powder was messed up or not but I’ll find out...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Corky
posted Hide Post
F a bunch of NHRA!

Corky

Posts: 338 | Location: Waynesville, Ohio | Registered: August 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Interesting,
When I talked to Weld a couple of years back, they told me they would not recertify a wheel that has been powder coated only one that was anodized. Bickel race cars who is doing all the recerts for Weld wheels since this rule has been implemented has also said they will not cert a wheel that has been powder coated.

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Interesting,
When I talked to Weld a couple of years back, they told me they would not recertify a wheel that has been powder coated only one that was anodized. Bickel race cars who is doing all the recerts for Weld wheels since this rule has been implemented has also said they will not cert a wheel that has been powder coated.
EXACTLY what I thought...

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
sounds like getting a set of used wheels should be cheaper now that certification is issue. LOL

Good I may be in market for some 15x12's shortly.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just curious but does the SFE Cert for the wheels ever expire? Or is it just something that needs to be SFI tagged.

FYI I had bead locks added to some powder coated rims a few years back and the powder coat was basically unharmed. Work was done by Weld.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
NHRA can suck it

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corky:
F a bunch of NHRA!

1000% never understand why anyone races there **** shows ...

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
1000% never understand why anyone races there **** shows ..."Just Shut Up and Race"

I don't know if you have seen a wheel break off and cause a major crash but I saw 3 of them over the past few years...some of the wheels on these cars are from the eighties and nineties.
im kinda feeling nhra on this one.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_E03yr28U

here is one for ya...speed up to 2:12 in this video.left rear wheel broke off of car in right lane. both wheels had hairline cracks you could not see by eye

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_E03yr28U

here is one for ya...speed up to 2:12 in this video.left rear wheel broke off of car in right lane. both wheels had hairline cracks you could not see by eye

Mikey

Those where Spinworks! Which are known for breaking the centers! I have a friend that was lucky and caught his before they broke! Went to the track for a test day, set his tires before the first run and made a pass, for the second pass just before he left his pit spot, checked the tires again and bam he saw a good size crack so he was done for the day. After a while he packed up so the car sat for a while and cooled off, tires and wheels too, and the crack was gone, at least visually! Anyone running these wheels should replace them now! BTW you can get Weld Centers to replace Spinwork centers which is where the issues are so you don't need new wheels,,, unless you need the SFI cert.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post