DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Enclosed Trailer - roof sealer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enclosed Trailer - roof sealer
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted
Since a new enclosed is out of my price range right now, what can I do to preserve the roof on my old 24 ft box? It is a steel roof and starting to get surface rust on it.

I know they used to make a black sealer one would apply with a boom and it would dry silver, looking like a galvanized finish. I haven't been able to find it locally.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
powerwash then apply 2 coats of this

also use their caulking anywhere the original maybe failing...

I'll be doing my trailer roof before the start of next season.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed!!

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
it's available in gray and tan as well but it seems most use the white for the added benefit of some interior temp reduction.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
How close is there approximate coverage?

Posts: 108 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
my bucket wasn't empty after 2 coats + cutting in perimeter, ACs, vents, skylight, etc. on this 42 foot MH

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am doing same thing on my trailer in the off season mainly to help keep it cool. No problems with leaks but black top on my trailer gets hot so anything helps.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3964 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If it is a steel roof and has any rust spots neutralize them first with Ospho. Then pressure wash and seal. On the edges of mine after sealing with a flexible sealer I taped all of the edges with Peel & Seal, it comes 6" wide so I split it and used 3" strips. Eternabond works well also available at camping trailer supply. I taped all of the vents also after installing new ones with sealer. I used the elastomeric roof coating and 5 gals had leftover after 2 heavy coats. The downside is the stuff is porous and will hold dirt. I have pressure washed mine to get it to looking white again but it will need resealing again soon.
Side note when you do it on a sunny day wear sunglasses!

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
elastomeric coatings are cheap for a reason. Henry sells it too at less than 25% the price of their 100% silicone Tropi-cool

https://www.homedepot.com/p/He...HE287SF871/100051140

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a older Haulmark trailer that I am going to do, There is some rust lines going across, can I go over the rust with this product or just power wash and seal it. ??? Thank you

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjj:
I have a older Haulmark trailer that I am going to do, There is some rust lines going across, can I go over the rust with this product or just power wash and seal it. ??? Thank you

Buy some Ospho and treat the rust or it will bleed through.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
elastomeric coatings are cheap for a reason. Henry sells it too at less than 25% the price of their 100% silicone Tropi-cool

https://www.homedepot.com/p/He...HE287SF871/100051140

Please expand on why cheap for a reason.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post