DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New small block build...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New small block build...
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
After 8 solid seasons of service, my trusty 399” 15* Motor list oil pressure and grabbed a rod...under power and on the bottle. There was enough parts destroyed that I scrapped everything but the heads....and decided to sell them and start completely over!

We are slow to get moving on the new piece but should be worth the wait...Dart Billet 4.50” bore space, 9.350 deck, .443 raises can block, Bryant billet 8 counter weight crank, Carrillo Billet Rods, dry sump...heads...have been my struggle. I have a set of GM ROX heads and they are currently at RFD being evaluated, but more than likely I will buy a new set of DB4510 symmetrical port heads with sheet metal intake...

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
One step forward and 5 steps back. I rushed through not this 4.5” bore space deal not realizing thy the ROX platform utilized the SB2 block lifter layout...so I’m married to an SB2 playform...no DB4510 heads for me. The other problem is very few people have a ROX program...and them being trophy truck take offs, they are on the small side 2.18 intake valve. Just doing some research and making calls, they can be welded up reported with 2.31 valves pulling its current flow numbers up from 420 to 460+ right where we need to be at 470”!

I did mock everything up so I can start fitting the dry sump system...that will be challenging. This car was already narrow...now it has a wide block and raised deck. But damn, it’s sexy!!!

CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Did you buy the intake and heads used together? Why is the number 4 port on the intake positioned like that?

Good luck with your build.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
Did you buy the intake and heads used together? Why is the number 4 port on the intake positioned like that?

Good luck with your build.

No I didn’t buy the intake. A friend has two CFE manifoldsoff his SB2 comp motor and I grabbed one to see how different the ROX Head is...as you can tell, the intake port arrangement is quite different. As soon as we decide on welding up and reporting what we have or buying virgin castings and starting fresh, the heads will go to HRE for an intake.

CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a wild build! What kind of power or you expecting it to make?

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rs72z:
Sounds like a wild build! What kind of power or you expecting it to make?

I learned a long time ago not to “expect” anything!!! Lol Based on similar, but extreme max effort builds, I’m trying to make just under 1100 N/A. Reality is it will make just a tic over 1000 depending on some final decisions on piston design and what I end up doing with heads. I tend to like the option of being able to spray so past motors have had piston/ring/cam combos to be a little forgiving but scarifies max effort N/A.

I’m struggling with the heads tht came with this deal...GM ROX castings ported by Vic Hill...they were on a 470” deal and made right at 900 with a cast manifold and 4150, but it has a 2.15 valve. Everyone has discontinued these castings, but there are a few raw sets out there. M&M wants me to relocate lifter bores and use there M3 Head, MBE wants me to use therebillet Head at $17k, Slawko will weld these up and move things around for a small few (lol). At this point, I have to give a huge shout out to. Yetis at RFD...he has one of the heads now lookingnit over. He doesn’t have a 4.5” bore space SB2 program and hasn’t had a demand...so he referred me to CFE.for any business man to refer you to competition for the better of the customer says a lot. CFE does have castings and does have a program, but again, at a price...after I get over the sticker shock this may be the route I go...just might not have it together this season. If I go that route...it should make an honest 1100+

CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Build went on hold...cylinder head money just went to my sons braces and CFE is still evaluating my current castings...boo

CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Amazing how your kid didn't have crooked teeth until the orthodontist's wife found a new leather pit group she fell in love with, huh? Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 487 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post