DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What affects methanol consistency
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What affects methanol consistency
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a bracket car running mid 6.50's in the 1/8th. The 60 ft and 330 can all be virtually identical but the et will vary from the 330 to the 660 by 2-3 hudreths later at night. In the day with the sun and heat it will repeat, but not later at night. I have a Quick fuel 850 with 156 jets all around. To lean, to rich?

Posts: 8 | Location: ky | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleeper 69:
I have a bracket car running mid 6.50's in the 1/8th. The 60 ft and 330 can all be virtually identical but the et will vary from the 330 to the 660 by 2-3 hudreths later at night. In the day with the sun and heat it will repeat, but not later at night. I have a Quick fuel 850 with 156 jets all around. To lean, to rich?

Electric pump correct?

Simplify the fuel delivery.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

Electric pump correct?

Aeromotive 2000 Pressure to regulator 10 lbs, from regulator to carb 61/2 lbs.

Posts: 8 | Location: ky | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
How much temp does it gain on track?

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
How consistent are you wanting? If your tune is good, weather is your cause. Alky doesn't like humidity. If it changes a lot during the day, it will affect performance. DA too, temp affects it the least.

If you don't have a weather station I'd consider it.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmarkaudio:

Leave the starting line at 150. Run 1/8 mile and drive back to the pits it is 170. Running the fan, moroso electric motor driven, the entire run.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Electric pump correct?

Aeromotive 2000 Pressure to regulator 10 lbs, from regulator to carb 61/2 lbs.

You didn't say if it picks up or slows down at night BUT, it sounds like a typical methanol tune which is slightly off.

Makes two three runs identical and throws ya a curve ball out of nowhere. That's normal for a generic tune.

Easiest quickest path is take 1 or 2 degrees timing away from it.

See how it likes it consistency wise. If it slows a hair but is consistent, report back and I'll suggest what you can do to speed it back up with jetting. Might not slow down enough to bother you or at all.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
How consistent are you wanting? If your tune is good, weather is your cause. Alky doesn't like humidity. If it changes a lot during the day, it will affect performance. DA too, temp affects it the least.

It need to stay between a 6.550 and a 6.569 in all conditions. We ran 7 runs yesterday. All 7 60 fts were 1.47 to 1.478. All 330 were 4.219 to 4.228. 6 runs were 6.551 to 6.564. Last run the 50 and 330 were the same but went a 6.581. It was later at night and the humidity was 70% or a little more. Will it move more rich or lean in higher humidity?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It need to stay between a 6.550 and a 6.569 in all conditions. We ran 7 runs yesterday. All 7 60 fts were 1.47 to 1.478. All 330 were 4.219 to 4.228. 6 runs were 6.551 to 6.564. Last run the 50 and 330 were the same but went a 6.581. It was later at night and the humidity was 70% or a little more. Will it move more rich or lean in higher humidity?

That's not bad but I don't like how all the 60's are within 1 thou but it's losing down track. What was the 330 on the 6.58?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's not bad but I don't like how all the 60's are within 1 thou and it's losing down track. What was the 330 on the 6.58?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's not bad but I don't like how all the 60's are within 1 thou and it's losing down track. What was the 330 on the 6.58?

Ok, so it went 6.56 with a slower 4.228 already, and then threw a 58 at ya out of no where.

Did a head wind roll in?

Man I'd say it's close, if there wasn't a head wind involved in this at all, I'd tweak the ignition timing up or down .5 - 1 - 1.5 degrees to finish it off, sounds pretty decent.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Weather wise on methanol, I will check the barometric pressure just to make sure a front isn't rolling in. Usually the barometer doesn't change over the course of a day. But if it does you don't want to miss it like a chump.

Don't ignore temperature. But keep an eye on water. I use dew point. When the dew point and air temperature are within 10 degrees of each other, most cars will throw you a number or a couple. %humidity is ok, but realize that it will change with air temp, without the amount of water in the air changing at all.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ya gotta figure from day to night the humidity move 50-60% and from day to night the car moved 4 hundredths. That sounds about right not considering wind and track conditions.

We can rule out track conditions because the 60 was within a thou. Wind change we can't but ultimately if there was no change in the wind it should've went another 56.

This is what tells you the mixture is extremely close but you can't look at methanol at all like gasoline, because gas is volatile and methanol vaporization is completed when compressed.

For this reason when I get one this close, I tweak
the ignition timing, I never found changing jets at this point, as anything more than an exercise of burning more fuel I didn't need to experimenting, and I always ended back on the same jet I started.

Move the timing .5 up or down at a time, and keep a close eye on which way the American flag is blowing.

It's extremely close.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Leave the starting line at 150. Run 1/8 mile and drive back to the pits it is 170. Running the fan, moroso electric motor driven, the entire run.

Try leaving at 180* or even more. Car will probably pick up some and run more consistent to.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree that you should try leaving at a higher water temp. Start with 160* then move up by 5* to see results.

My car leaves at 170* (methanol) and gains 2-5* at most in 1/8. Although the water temp gains little in 1/8, the oil temp will rise dramatically.

If you continue to do the same thing you can expect the same results. Try Changing something imho.

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Mine seems to run better when it's at or above 180. Still cools super quick though....Loving it!!!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Like the above posters I’d say leave the starting line closer to 170 water temp, that’s where we try to be with our stuff on methanol. You might benefit from leaning the idle a little to help it build heat. We have fan on all the time, gains about 5 degrees on a 1/4 mile run.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hopefully Sleeper69 follows logic and not a vote. Sounds to me like he made 7 laps within a thou to the 60 ft and ya'll are suggesting he raise his starting line temp 20 degrees, for what reason? Because everyone else runs theirs 160 degrees or above? No they don't, I know a guy who pulls around the corner to the water box 130 degree temp, Ray Miller dragster Bo Laws carb.

Ya run the spark plug gap a hair tighter it's not a problem running consistent cooler temps on the starting line, as long as the engine builds heat going down track, and doesn't stumble when ya deck it on the chip..

I disagree, Sleeper lost in the semi's or at 8 cars, he's ready win, there's no real reason to experiment burning a fuel when he already has a winner, just needs one tweak to be perfect.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully Sleeper69 follows logic and not a vote. Sounds to me like he made 7 laps within a thou to the 60 ft and ya'll are suggesting he raise his starting line temp 20 degrees, for what reason?

Because my cars are more consistent that way, simple.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
quote:
Hopefully Sleeper69 follows logic and not a vote. Sounds to me like he made 7 laps within a thou to the 60 ft and ya'll are suggesting he raise his starting line temp 20 degrees, for what reason?

Because my cars are more consistent that way, simple.

That's a good reason for YOU to run warmer starting line temp.

The OP just made 7 laps within a thou to the 60ft. Throw the 6.58 of the op's out, and it made 7 full pulls within 16 thou.

You're free to give any suggestion you like,it's your right, but I respectfully disagree.