New
Find
Notify
Tools

engine diapers
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As a former track owner, I wish they had diapers when I was open. Every car, that required SFI belts or competition license would have been required to use them. Dennis was always willing to help out tracks with good prices for their racers once a rule was put in place. Yes, a little self-serving but a GREAT improvement in safety and reduced track clean up time and money.
Wish Dennis well and hope the new owners continue the great quality. Got one on the new S10 and wore a few out (connecting rods, etc) over the 20 years in the dragster.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I hope the new owners take a lesson from Dennis on customer service. On my old car the diaper was shut three years old. I didn’t install it correct and was loose enough that the flex plate rubbed a hole in it. Dennis repaired it and sent it back to me for basically cost of shipping. I told him what happened and he took care of it. Even replaced a Kevlar panel on the left side he didn’t like the look of,(header tube against it) and put a t shirt in the box for me.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:
Originally posted by rallye bob:
Are diapers still required in NHRA? Scroll through all of these pictures....
https://www.motortrend.com/eve...57-88ec-7f274f78d39a

Interesting.

Didn't look at all of them, but did see a 9 second dial with no diaper.......

Diapers are not required in Stock and Super Stock.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3155 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of rallye bob
posted Hide Post
What a PITA to change oil....

Posts: 22 | Location: usa | Registered: December 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bigger PITA getting out of your car when on it’s lid!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

Diapers are not required in Stock and Super Stock.

Well that's just dumb

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of rallye bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Bigger PITA getting out of your car when on it’s lid!
I understand that.... Just think there could be a better design to access oil drain plug.... I think that is why velcro was invented....

Posts: 22 | Location: usa | Registered: December 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Accessing the drain plug on my Moroso 21047 BBC pan is easy…release/loosen the rear straps on the diaper and pull the diaper down at the rear of the oil pan and forward of the drain plug.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Diapers work-lost a rod at 8600 in the lites no spill and rod was in the diaper Put a flywheel cover on it I made mine from one I got at jegs for a 350 turbo a little trim and new holes but it keep the diaper out of the flywheel ya you have to drop it to change oil but thats better than a new car=cheaper too

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
What brand is this…

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
DRE, looks like mine on the bird

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
That's good news about DRE. I called and he told me was thru because he couldn't get anybody to work about a month or so ago. I have tried several companies and they all get chewed up by the flexplate at the back of the pan. Strap or no strap.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
That's good news about DRE. I called and he told me was thru because he couldn't get anybody to work about a month or so ago. I have tried several companies and they all get chewed up by the flexplate at the back of the pan. Strap or no strap.
So what keeps the DRE from getting chewed up…

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Not sure why his seem better in that area. I have had several and like 1320 mentioned, changing oil is simply loosening the rear straps and pulling it down and in front of the drain plug.
His attachment for rear straps or the material might be why his don't usually rub the flexplate/converter bolts. If its close, like our was with a BilletFab pan on the dragster we moved where we attached the strap to pull forward more than up.

Our other dragster had an aluminum belly-pan from S&W, that was the easiest thing I have ever seen to get out of the way and install.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Sure it is a little more work to change the oil with a good diaper and or pan but it is one of best safety measures you can have. Not just for you but for others. You do not have to take it all the way off. On my Dragster I have to pull off one of the side panels, jack up the car good take off rear corner strap and loosen front strap. Then put it all back. I have oil lines with the remote oil filter and alternator and my chassis is real narrow so it is very tight.

For instance there is one racer that lost his car at the finish line because the car in front of him had a hose break. As soon as he got to timing booth he told them he oiled the track but it was too late the next guy had already crashed and lost the car. It was at night and at end of the track so they did not see it or know. The car behind him hit the oil and it was all over. Totaled out his really nice car and lucky he was not hurt other than huge hit in the wallet.

I have mentioned this before and it is worth repeating if it saves some lives. There was a guy in San Antonio. He was only running like 12 in the 1/4 mile but he lost an engine near the finish line. Oil and or water got under his tires and he lost control hitting the wall and killing him. I am sure there are many others that could have been saved if they had a diaper.

Any time someone dies racing I would like to know why they died so maybe we could prevent it from happening again. What we do can be dangerous and we all accept that but do not be stupid. If there is something cheap and simple that could save lives and track clean up time then we need to do it.

Plus the fact that the track clean up should go much faster and we just have a better prepared track overall if we do not get a bunch of oil downs. And nobody wants to be sitting in the heat waiting for them to clean up the track if we do not have to.

Diapers would save a lot of cars and some lives to. Maybe yours or someone you care about. And they are cheap now. As far as I am concerned there is no excuse for anyone not to have one and I think all tracks should strictly enforce it. If you race long enough you are going to lose a motor. Do not lose your car or your life.

My current ones are Pro 1 and they are really nice. I have also had a few other brands and had no problems.

We can argue about flex plate stickers, seat belt dates and on and on but Diapers can save lives and keep you from losing your car if (When) you lose a motor. Just be smart. In some ways I consider a diaper more important than seat belts because seat belts can save your life if you crash. A Diaper could prevent you from crashing in the first place. I have been asked to drive for people to shake down, test or set up their cars, first thing I check is the diaper. I am not getting in a car with out one.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4006 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We have a Stroud on one car. Older. It's been great but it is difficult to keep away from the flexplate. So any ideas to make that better are appreciated.
I made a pan for my car. Not super light, but easy on and off and works. I made it taller than others I have seen.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
So what keeps the DRE from getting chewed up…

There needs to be a cinch strap sewed into the top of diaper behind the flex plate that extends to the front of the oil pan with a buckle on both sides to pull it tight to the front of the oil pan. That said, nothing will keep the back of the diaper from getting chewed up and fraying if the pattern is not right for the oil pan and it ain’t right for the moroso 21047 and I assume the 21049

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
My DRE has a strap across the back and a buckle on both sides at the back to pull it tight so it stays away from the flywheel. It still got a little frayed at the back top edge and DRE fixed it when I sent it back for repairs. My headers fit so tight to the block it's hard to slip the diaper between the header and the block near the oil filter pad. The diaper has burn proof panels but the header sits against it and after years it burned a layer away so I sent it in to have it repaired. I too hope the new owner can offer as good service as Dennis did.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of rallye bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
quote:
What brand is this…
It is a DRE.... This is my pan.... https://static.summitracing.co...ctr-15-502_lg_xl.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rallye bob,

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Rallye Bob, My diaper looks the same as yours and I have a Milodon pan with kickouts, inverted T style. I can drop the 2 back straps and peel the diaper from around the pan and oil filter after I loosen the 2 buckles at the sides.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post