DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Rear gear question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear gear question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
The car sets the front end down right at the 60' timers and it was unloading with the A-arm front end. But now it's narrowed down to the shift and spinning.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
What kind of shocks do you have?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Mark Menccer canister rear, Alston DA Varistrurd front

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
This past weekend the car went 6.169 as it sits. 100lb added to rear. At 1.80 start pulling timing 15 degrees full out at 2.10 ramping back in full by 4.00. Shifting at 2.00. The car has been 6.04 with 50lbs and only pulling 5 degrees timing at shift so it could go high 5.90s. Removing the weight, removing weight of steel floor, carbon going back in. adding timing back, iron to aluminum center section so I’m loosing weight and don’t mind if it stays high 6.0s to low teens. Just not looking to go 6.30s or 40s with to high of gear

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Any videos of it going down the track? Can your borrow a gopro and video what is happening in the rear?

Imo, you are putting a band aid on it by going to that big tire. My car runs very similar ETs, awesome sixty with low mph. There is no reason why it shouldn't work with that tire.

How old are the shocks? Were they set up for your car?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
Converter was going 6000 and I had it loosened up 300 and the car did pick up 60'and ET. When ATI loosened the converter they said they couldn't tighten up to any so I went from 71 to 73/7400 at the strip. On the tire size there mounted aired to 10psi and measure 103. I'm not looking to gain any ET just not looking to loose a ton either. Car 60s deadly consistent all year but 330 moves in the hot summer more than I like. 60' 003 all day cold or hot, 330 may move .020 pass to pass so I'm looking at the wider tire fixing that issue.

Is your car spinning after the 60 foot? If the sixty is consistent, but the 330 isn't, unless you know its spinning, I highly doubt a bigger tire is going to correct the issue. My car was doing the same thing a while back. 60 would be within .003-.005 and the 60-300 increment would move .02-.04. Turned out to be issues in the transmission. I would be looking at what triggers the shift and how it shifts. When was the last time the transmission was freshened?

BBC 275pds additional on the nose w/more torque. It won't work. Big tires or put a sbc in it, same thing. Been there done it on 10" tires. You'd have to put 275pds ballast in the trunk, then you're going 6.30-40. Been there.

OP's on the right path.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
It’s getting the big tire. I already have the new cage, frame, Carbon tubs, Carbon sheet, tires and wheels, new housing, the only thing I like is the new center section and axles Plus a few small parts. Yes I hate cutting it up after owning it for 15 plus years and a 4-spped super sport car to boot but it’s always been and will always be a race car as long as I own it. Super pro gets more competitive every year with all the new gadgets coming out and the small tire is making more of of a gap to fill.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
It’s getting the big tire. I already have the new cage, frame, Carbon tubs, Carbon sheet, tires and wheels, new housing, the only thing I like is the new center section and axles Plus a few small parts. Yes I hate cutting it up after owning it for 15 plus years and a 4-spped super sport car to boot but it’s always been and will always be a race car as long as I own it. Super pro gets more competitive every year with all the new gadgets coming out and the small tire is making more of of a gap to fill.

I had a big tire back half 69 Camaro buddy of mine's car 33 M/T's BBC dial'd 6teen 113mph BLP alky, I did a lot of work on. It was nasty consistent, dude could beat anyone in Super Pro.

You're dead on it. It'll be fine.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post