Bracket Talk
Classic/Race car insurance

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/1187038996

January 06, 2023, 03:10 PM
FastLane
Classic/Race car insurance
I was reading this thread after doing a quick search on insurance providers for classic/race cars and had some questions on coverage.

I have a street/bracket car that I am redoing (crazy to race it at this point but I am planning on it) that i need to get some coverage for.

I have contacted Hagerty and Grundy and they don't cover on track. I also contacted Laris and they don't do anything for the street. Is there anyone that does do both? It may be impossible but I def need to do something with as much as I now have invested just in paint and body. any that are good and any to stay away from? send a link if this has been discussed but have not seen anything recently.

Thanks in advance,
Lane
January 06, 2023, 07:34 PM
Curly1
My 67 Corvette and 66 Chevy ll are insured through NCM National Corvette Museum. On my insurance policy they are for limited amount of miles per year (mine is 3,000 miles per year)and at a set agreed upon price for value of car. So if anything happens it I get paid what we agreed on with no haggling. It is fairly reasonable cost and everyone who I have heard from on them spoke highly of them.

I do not think it covers anything on the track but did not ask. You may not be able to get any insurance that would cover both with out paying a lot.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
January 06, 2023, 08:52 PM
green1
I was told by a guy I contacted that my coverage would end when I pulled into water box and would come back on when I turned off the track. I didn’t ask about on track coverage because I knew I couldn’t afford that. We settled on a $50,000 agreed value for a little under $500 I believe it was. It’s gonna be hard and expensive to have coverage for on the track.
January 06, 2023, 10:02 PM
FastLane
Laris will cover on track, but not off. Said they couldn’t do both.

Off track is def more risky but anything can happen on track as well as on the way on a trailer.

Just looking for experience and opinions. Thanks for those given.
Lane
January 07, 2023, 01:44 PM
FastLane
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
I was told by a guy I contacted that my coverage would end when I pulled into water box and would come back on when I turned off the track. I didn’t ask about on track coverage because I knew I couldn’t afford that. We settled on a $50,000 agreed value for a little under $500 I believe it was. It’s gonna be hard and expensive to have coverage for on the track.

Green, who was this with?
January 07, 2023, 02:04 PM
green1
quote:
Originally posted by FastLane:
quote:
Originally posted by green1:

Green, who was this with?

Andrew Gill Insurance Associates.
January 07, 2023, 06:25 PM
TPaton
I.have my 69 camaro and my 67 Chevy II(racecar) insured with hagerty. Like green1 said, I am covered until i hit the burnout box and am covered once I get on the return road. Very reasonable price with an agreed upon value. They did ask.for pics for.each car.
January 07, 2023, 09:45 PM
rusty
quote:

i think there is a misunderstanding.they do cover on track.and everywhere the else the race car is.the on the street deal i dont know about ,mine is covered but not down track,and is not street driven

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

January 07, 2023, 09:51 PM
rusty
i believe collector cars like 55'sect have insurance for street driving

1.036, 6.16@ 224

January 07, 2023, 10:08 PM
FastLane
“Lane at this time we are note offering any coverage for street legal cars.”

Rusty, this is from Laris this past Thursday. I also asked, somewhat knowing the answer, if there could be one for street and one for track.

’Lane, no I am sorry that is why we cant write street legal cars, you cant not have 2 different polices on one car. We offer physical damage coverage to the race car, but being street legal it is required to carry liability and we can’t offer that coverage.”

Being it’s a slow car, I’m not too worried but things happen. Still a little ways out to being track ready so street coverage is what I’ll go with for now.

Green, I like the sound of your coverage as things happen in the pits as well.

Thanks everyone for the insight.
January 07, 2023, 10:10 PM
FastLane
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
quote:

i think there is a misunderstanding.they do cover on track.and everywhere the else the race car is.the on the street deal i dont know about ,mine is covered but not down track,and is not street driven

I should clarify, off track meaning on the street. Not just in the pits. Reread your statement and you’re correct. On and off track but not street.
January 08, 2023, 07:13 AM
Paul S/Q
I use Hagerty for my 55 chevy street rod , but we use Laris on our dragster , it is covered eveywhere , including on the track ...the premium is very high , but the car would be very expensive to replace as well...
January 08, 2023, 07:36 AM
Curly1
Once again I suggest you call NCM National corvette Museum, I think you will be very surprised how much coverage you can get and how little it costs.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
January 08, 2023, 08:18 AM
FastLane
I am checking that one too, Curly.

Thanks everyone.
January 09, 2023, 06:43 AM
green1
quote:

Rusty, this is from Laris this past Thursday. I also asked, somewhat knowing the answer, if there could be one for street and one for track.

’Lane, no I am sorry that is why we cant write street legal cars, you cant not have 2 different polices on one car. We offer physical damage coverage to the race car, but being street legal it is required to carry liability and we can’t offer that coverage.”

Being it’s a slow car, I’m not too worried but things happen. Still a little ways out to being track ready so street coverage is what I’ll go with for now.

I was told it was covered in the trailer going down the road, parked at home, everywhere but going down the track. I haven’t actually purchased the coverage, was just getting quote and what all was covered. I have to write up a list of expense building it and take some pictures to send in then it will be written up and pay my money. I worry more about when the car is in the trailer than at the track.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: green1,
January 09, 2023, 09:10 AM
rusty
quote:
posted January 09, 2023 06:43 AM Hide Post
quote:

I was told it was covered I. The trailer going down the road, parked at home, everywhere but going down the track. I haven’t actually purchased the coverage, was just getting quote and what all was covered. I have to write up a list of expense building it and take some pictures to send in then it will be written up and pay my money. I worry more about when the car is in the trailer than at the track.

it is covered from laris in trailer,just not driving on street as a legal vehicle

1.036, 6.16@ 224

January 11, 2023, 07:11 PM
green1
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
quote:
posted January 09, 2023 06:43 AM Hide Post
quote:

I was told it was covered I. The trailer going down the road, parked at home, everywhere but going down the track. I haven’t actually purchased the coverage, was just getting quote and what all was covered. I have to write up a list of expense building it and take some pictures to send in then it will be written up and pay my money. I worry more about when the car is in the trailer than at the track.

it is covered from laris in trailer,just not driving on street as a legal vehicle

Mines not a street car so I am not worried about the driving on the street part.
January 11, 2023, 08:10 PM
Bad News
www.dragracersinsurance.com
Bill Horton
Same off track coverage, covered in the pits, in transit, at a shop, at home, agreed value. About the same cost, 100 bucks per thousand.
Major company is the underwriter.
January 11, 2023, 09:28 PM
B KING
We've been using Bill for many years; glad we haven't made a claim!

2BKING Big Grin

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436
January 11, 2023, 09:33 PM
1320racer
Laris, better rates, better coverage, better customer service and pays contingency