Bracket Talk
Which powerglide input shaft is unusable, and why?

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/1187023396

May 05, 2020, 11:07 AM
Mike Rietow
Which powerglide input shaft is unusable, and why?

May 05, 2020, 03:49 PM
Top355x
The one on the right and only unusable because it’s a stock shaft and not strong enough
May 05, 2020, 05:45 PM
B KING
Middle one, don't know why/have a clue as to what's usable or not.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436
May 05, 2020, 08:36 PM
Larry Woodfin
Does the left shaft have any numbers? I "think" it would be my choice because of the dual sealing rings but I would like to know if it can be identified.

Also, what power/performance range will this be?

Larry Woodfin

May 05, 2020, 08:38 PM
Larry Woodfin
Mike, after rechecking I now see it is a trick question.

Larry Woodfin

May 05, 2020, 08:38 PM
Larry Woodfin
I was going after "which one is usable"

Larry Woodfin

May 05, 2020, 09:23 PM
B KING
None of them, the are being unused as they are pictured. Wink

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436
May 06, 2020, 07:35 AM
pauley
I don't want the ringless shaft therefore it is unuseable to me.

ep
May 06, 2020, 08:01 AM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:

ep

Why is that?
May 06, 2020, 08:43 AM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Does the left shaft have any numbers? I "think" it would be my choice because of the dual sealing rings but I would like to know if it can be identified.

Also, what power/performance range will this be?

No numbers Larry, it's an input shaft I've had for years, I use as a fixture to lay any new input I receive next too, in order to judge the new shafts worth. The input on the left is what you don't want. Look at the placement of the top ring journal.
May 06, 2020, 08:53 AM
Triple Nickel
Unless the middle one is ATI super shaft they are all unusable to me. Ringless super shafts and ATI Super Pumps in both cars here.....
May 06, 2020, 09:18 AM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Unless the middle one is ATI super shaft they are all unusable to me. Ringless super shafts and ATI Super Pumps in both cars here.....

Hmmm, yeah that's a successful combination of parts. I use the shaft on the left as a rudimentary standard to compare any new shaft I receive. The shaft on the left top ring journal obstructs lube orifice in the stator (in cooler).It's what you don't want to see in a input shaft.
May 06, 2020, 09:44 AM
Alaskaracer
BTE high volume pump and ringless input shaft here.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
May 06, 2020, 10:00 AM
TD3550
TSI Pro mod pump and ringless shaft. Done
May 06, 2020, 10:30 AM
pauley
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

ep

Why is that?

ran one years ago and found that it did not charge the converter as well as a ringed shaft. .10 difference between a ringed vs ringless is what I found on my stuff.

ep
May 06, 2020, 10:58 AM
Mike Rietow
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

ep

Why is that?

ran one years ago and found that it did not charge the converter as well as a ringed shaft. .10 difference between a ringed vs ringless is what I found on my stuff.

ep

That's a good point but for future it wasn't how the converter was charged which made the difference. It was the oil flow exiting the converter. If it slowed a tenth it most likely made more converter pressure with the ringless and tightened the converter. This would be a circumstance proprietary to the specific torque converter in play only.

For example I do the engine and transmission on a heads up car we have a high flow ringless input shaft and pump, and we have a high flow ringed input and pump. Until we discover through testing and modifications, we won't know exactly which combination of parts will result in the quickest incremental times and et's.
May 06, 2020, 11:09 AM
pauley
I just know that one was .10 slower than the other so therefore I like a ringed shaft. may have been me or coincidence.

ep
May 06, 2020, 12:23 PM
Da Shoe
I only run a Sniper Quad Core Damascus Steel with Quad Bi Directional Rings.
May 06, 2020, 12:51 PM
Wyatt
Are the two shafts for the same application? I thinking one is for a factory 1.82 and one for a factory 1.76. That would put the rings in different locations when measured from that end because the 1.82 and the 1.76 carriers are different.
May 06, 2020, 01:07 PM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by Wyatt:
Are the two shafts for the same application? I thinking one is for a factory 1.82 and one for a factory 1.76. That would put the rings in different locations when measured from that end because the 1.82 and the 1.76 carriers are different.

Are you sure about that? What's a 1.76 measure? Smile