DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Need a Driveshaft
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Driveshaft
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I broke an aluminum no-name shaft at Vegas years ago. The chassis builder told me to get it out of there when I got close to 1000 hp. I didn't and paid for it and luckily it didn't do any major damage.

I borrowed one from Denny and Steve Johnson (thanks again guys) and they suggested I use Front Range Driveline in Colorado for a new steel shaft. I did just that and it is still in the car and the Percival bunch at Front Range was a pleasure to work with.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Vern, my aluminum Mark Williams driveshaft in my dragster has about 1500 passes on it behind an engine making 1100HP and another 150 behind my current 1300HP engine without issue issue. It has been retired this season, replaced with the Goethe CV shaft.

That said, MW products are second to none and the benchmark for driveshafts, axles, 3rd members and brakes. If you want or need the best, that’s who you call.

Further, the almost 60” aluminum driveshaft built by Denny’s back in 1999 for my chevelle, had well over 4000 passes on it when I sold the car and it’s still in service today.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Driveshaft tubing, which is a uniform wall thickness, mild steel, is completely acceptable for the application you describe. I have many driveshafts in service built by a local shop at a reasonable cost. I think your trusted shop with a 30-year relationship will be a good choice

Our driveline shop found the chromoly tubing at what he stated as a proud price of $250. I said I didn't care, get it & get the darn thing done. I was getting ready to cancel the order and....; I was eyeballing ED's eye candy driveshafts, that I don't need.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2494 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you don't need a MW aluminum driveshaft but you want a MW chromoly driveshaft. Local shops typically aren't building driveshafts for drag cars and it's why yours didn't have nor could find chromoly tubing for over a month because they don't use it. Your local shop don't have the technology, expertise nor the balancing capabilities of MW. There is a difference and it's worth the wait and $.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I am not sure but he is likely using Dans Driveline here in Vegas. They have built a number of driveshafts for racers and racecars, some guy named Lamb amongst them. FWIW they are also an MW dealer IIRC I have been there many times buying parts and having them shorten/do driveshaft work, to include our dragster. They are not that far from my house and generally pretty knowledgeable folks. Also have a nice engine dyno on site as well.

Having said that my last few door car driveshafts have all been from MW. To include aluminum well over 1000hp. The issue in the heads up car was two fold, I had not heard of critical speed at the time and when we went from a wedge engine to the 99/06 Hemi never thought about it being an issue. So we started with the aluminum MW shaft we had. But the 10,000RPM engine in front of it as well as the 9600rpm of driveshaft speed at 60" long were. They fixed me up with a carbon shaft and no more issues.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Al Alguire,

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 984 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well Al, if that's who he is using, he found the right local guy BUT I have my doubts because his guy didn't have nor could get chromoly tubing.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed here in Vegas chrome moly anything is hard to come by. We ind of live on an "island" not much call from moly anything here. Most cars built around here are trucks, trophy trucks so if you want DOM you can get it almost anywhere including the hardware store. We have to order moly from SoCal everytime we need anything. Dans does a lot of street cars and trophy truck stuff mainly. But alot of local drag racers seem use them too.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 984 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Yes, Dan's Driveline; I leave names out for obvious reasons. I'm glad I have ED's approval. Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2494 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I forgot, Al Knows!!! Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Hope this thread is done. Dan's stated 2-3 days to get material & 2-3 days to get it completed.

Once I get it, I can continue with the EFI logging/tuning. Then some full throttle short runs to 330' on the street with plug reading & logging/tuning. If everything looks good maybe an 1/8 mile run.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Picked up the driveshaft today. Nice piece with a Sonnex billet slip yoke.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436