DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Eliminating throttle stops in 8.90and 9.90
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eliminating throttle stops in 8.90and 9.90
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
quote:
Originally posted by jmarkaudio:
Jenevet how about making Top Dragster and Top Sportsman N/A classes? No power adders... I'm all for that...

Hi Mark! How are you? Probably one of the best suggestions I have heard yet! And yes here comes the heat...
Leave the Super classes as they are. I have no issue with them.
B A N any mechanical or electronic throttle stops in TD and TS!
NA is fine so is blown compressed or NOS just not stops!!

Not sure about mechanical but electronic throttle stops are already illegal in T/D and T/S.

Yeah RH I was a bit ahead of myself there and I knew they are not allowed. Wondering if the new EFI has the capability?? I have installed and played with the FAST EFI. Amazed how simple other than wiring and plumbing it is. The newer programs are way more sophisticated HMMMM than the one I did.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
I don’t see a problem with the .90 classes, car counts at the events I attend do not show a problem with .90 racing, what’s the problem? Why a change?

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
Well what's one more opinion. I've run 8.90, Bracket and no prep index, prepped index. I've been to Natls and divisionls. NHRA doesn't give a rip about the sportsman racing, its a necessary evil to get something to fill the down time between nitro rounds and it caters to the old timer looking for stuff the way it used to be. The only thing that's going to happen by dropping the index one second is now a lot of racers will need to go out and upgrade motors to run it. That's more $$ that most don't have. Like what many are saying if you don't like it don't race in it. At most Natl I've ran as I'm waiting for the water box the stands are still about 3/4 full. Probably people just wanting to sit and rest awhile after walking all morning in the pro pits, but they are watching. So if you want an audience you have it if that's your thing. Bottom line .90 isn't changing, get over it and move on. At some point bigger and bigger engines wont help you win a race, so it will stop at some point unless you just have lots of money to waste, then I would recommend TAD or a Nitro class to waste your money in. Being one of the slower cars in the 8.90 class I actually found I had an advantage. I was very hard to judge. The closure rate for them was to high, that gave me the advantage not the high horse power motor maniacs. I digressed, so if you want to go faster than 8.90 TD or TS is your class. That's what it was added for. If you cant run TD or TS then .90 is your poison. If you don't like that I hear NASCAR is looking for dumb downed fans. In 2000 feet turn left, In 2000 feet turn left, In 2000 feet turn left, In 2000 feet turn left. Mullets and beer gut's required. Peace out peeps see you at the finish line WHOMP WHOMP.

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This is about the dumbest thread I've wasted time reading.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
This is about the dumbest thread I've wasted time reading.

Come on, even the under aged racer winning fifty g’s Laughing Hard

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
quote:
Originally posted by jmarkaudio:
Jenevet how about making Top Dragster and Top Sportsman N/A classes? No power adders... I'm all for that...

Hi Mark! How are you? Probably one of the best suggestions I have heard yet! And yes here comes the heat...
Leave the Super classes as they are. I have no issue with them.
B A N any mechanical or electronic throttle stops in TD and TS!
NA is fine so is blown compressed or NOS just not stops!!
yup, take the slow opening starting line controls away from the blower cars. I've had them tell me they have to have them or they shake, that's fine, then mine will have a "not throttle stop" doing the same thing lol

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Maybe I was dismissive without understanding what the purpose behind eliminating throttle stops is. What's the angle here? Is this just to hurt the faster cars? What is considered a mechanical stop? Is tech going to check to make sure throttles are opening all the way or quickly enough? If this is the direction to go, then are timing retards next?
What is behind this?

Should there more of a diversity of power types and car weights in this class? Would that make it more interesting? I'm not sure any small block cars made it into Indy. How many cars were not big block or hemi with blower (of some sort)?

Somebody mentioned the purpose of TD in another thread. Is the purpose to have a really fast field? If that is the case, why not make it a 6.20 index race? All the cars will be fast then. Why even have a range of times the TD's can run if you really don't want people "sneaking in" with a super comp car?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The car counts at least in division 1 have been higher this year than I ever remember. I can't speak for other divisions I know at least a couple of races have been over 500 cars.

I guess my question is why mess with what seems to be working?

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't race in 8.90 or 9.90 classes,but I don't see a problem with throttle stops.

However,I do race in Stock Eliminator and I can tell you this:

There are a group of people that are very vocal in lobbying the NHRA to make rules that fit their agenda.

It would not surprise me if throttle stops were eliminated.The squeaky wheel gets the oil as the saying goes.

There is already a movement underway to lower the indexes in Stock Eliminator again ,because some race some very grossly underrated combos.

Lots of selfish people out there that have nothing better to do than call NHRA every day to make rules that fit their agenda.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Here's a quick question I have.. Is there any limit to the amount of power that TD/TS can run? If most of the field is supercharged, how hard could it be to limit the amount of boost with pulley restrictions etc.? As far as nitrous, you don't typically see people spraying the life out of their nitrous motors to go 6.10 or faster, so why limit them.. maybe there could be a way to do that also, but I'm not as familiar with the nitrous stuff..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
My opinion is superior to everyone's.

We should leave it alone, it is absolutely perfect as is.

It is the ONE and only decision NHRA has made that has remained unchanged in 30 years. It works, and will continue to be the largest classes at every single event.

Don't like it? Don't race it. Pretty simple. But don't mess with anything in these classes, you can only f*ck it up.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mike Bailey
posted Hide Post
I have only been racing the 8.90 class for a few years now and I can say one thing for certain. It is probably one of the toughest classes I have ever tried to compete in. You can say what you want about throttle stops and how people don't like to watch it, but, the starting line is not where the race is really at. If the spectator wanted to watch the real race, go on down to the 1000' cone and then they will see where the real racing is done. I hear a lot of guys on here saying get rid of throttle stops and let them leg it out, it will be better. Let me say something, this isn't usually a 3 or 4 round race with a few cars. Most of the time there are well over 100 cars in a divisional, sometimes 180 in supercomp alone (Topeka). If you can't string together 7 or 8 rounds of hardcore racing you don't have a chance. The .90 classes are strong most places I go. If you think it's so easy, come on out and lets see what you've got.

Posts: 12 | Location: texas | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well said ^^^

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'll never throttle stop race myself, but I actually enjoy watching it. Once I learned how competitive it actually is, and started hanging out with Jimmy and Vern in Denver (pivotdoc and cashflow), it kinda stuck on me. I don't see any reason to change it, especially with it bringing the numbers that it does. Even in Denver it's easily the most populated class by A LOT. And with many of the races being decided by .001-.010 packages, it makes for some seriously competitive racing. What's fun to me is seeing a slower car run dead on with a zero against a faster car dead on with a zero, with the slower car taking the win by .001 at the stripe.......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Get a grid and a Davis tech setup and throw the stop away

Posts: 1239 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
Get a grid and a Davis tech setup and throw the stop away

That confuses me. Why spend MORE money on something that won't change the performance?

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bailey:
I have only been racing the 8.90 class for a few years now and I can say one thing for certain. It is probably one of the toughest classes I have ever tried to compete in. You can say what you want about throttle stops and how people don't like to watch it, but, the starting line is not where the race is really at. If the spectator wanted to watch the real race, go on down to the 1000' cone and then they will see where the real racing is done. I hear a lot of guys on here saying get rid of throttle stops and let them leg it out, it will be better. Let me say something, this isn't usually a 3 or 4 round race with a few cars. Most of the time there are well over 100 cars in a divisional, sometimes 180 in supercomp alone (Topeka). If you can't string together 7 or 8 rounds of hardcore racing you don't have a chance. The .90 classes are strong most places I go. If you think it's so easy, come on out and lets see what you've got.

I agree with all of that that is some of the toughest and closest racing out there. I do not like throttle stop racing but I do realize how tough it is and how good they are to win.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post