DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Eliminating throttle stops in 8.90and 9.90
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eliminating throttle stops in 8.90and 9.90
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
There is alot of grumbling in the pits this weekend on how the top dragster class is moving to a 6.10 index and the challenges that has created with no throttle stops being allowed in the class.

There is alot of talk about what 8.90 9.90 and 10.90 racing would be like if throttle stop use was eliminated in those classes.interesting to see what that would do to those classes and I know the fans would sure love it.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well you sure would not need a 632" motor to run 10.90 anymore.

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the indexes reduced one second and eliminate the throttle stops. Now that would bring some challenges.

Just Say'n

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't race in any of those classes,but I think it is pretty cool how much mph some of those cars run and still run the respective index.

It has been said that the "fans" don't like to see the cars slow down and then speed up.

If the announcers did a better job of explaining it,and if there were spectators in the stands right at the finish line,I think they would understand it better.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
1. Bracket and index racing is not worth a damn to watch regardless of throttle stops. It is not meant to be a spectator sport/class.

2. These classes are well participated in. Why do folks who don't race the class, want to change the class?

3. I don't generally hear these suggestions from those who participate in 8.90 and 9.90

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
I'd like to see the indexes reduced one second and eliminate the throttle stops. Now that would bring some challenges.

Just Say'n

That'll speed em up big time. Tight converters or even lock up shifted to high 3 tenths after TB release. I wouldn't be headed to the concession to avoid questions no more. They'd be flying!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the indexes piked up a second and throttle stops eliminated.

I understand the comment about it not being a spectator sport but still in my opinion throttle stops have ruined racing and made it boring.

Making it more spectator friendly would be good for everyone. I think more people would race the classes and more people would watch.If we get more people in the stands it is easier to get more payout. Win, Win out of a losing situation.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You guys would kill me , by moving the index down a second. The roadsters with the big motors, can run a second faster for sure. But I don't have big motor, and I don't run a roadster. But if you change the index and the rules I believe 25 to 35 percent won't be able to run the new index. So what would I do? Not race. Let them run there throttle control, but people who don't run the class saying what the class needs!!!!! Steve Williams S/G 351N, Ford Probe with a 582 centiliter motor. That is 355 cubes, with a Lenco. Go ahead and change the rules, it will hurt some and not others.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: threepedals,

Posts: 20 | Location: 46060 | Registered: October 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to try 8.90 but not with a stop.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No one is stopping you from not running 8.90 without a stop, or throttle control. Go for it, you only live once. And you probably won't regret it

Posts: 20 | Location: 46060 | Registered: October 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
There is a lot to lose and absolutely nothing to gain by dropping the indexes.

The spectators...Ha!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Over the past six or seven years I've suggested reducing the Indexes by a full second, you would have thought that I committed heresy. Most of the folks that run Super Gas can easily run a full second (and then some) under the 9.90 index. You can even find Super Street guys running 150+ mph that are capable of running 9.90, but for most it's the .400 tree that would be difficult. NHRA is not about to change anything, so this is all just talk that's going nowhere.

A few decades ago I ran at a AHRA 9.90 Super Gas event on a .300 tree, with both bulbs on and no backing in to stage, now that was really interesting!

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by threepedals:
You guys would kill me , by moving the index down a second. The roadsters with the big motors, can run a second faster for sure. But I don't have big motor, and I don't run a roadster. But if you change the index and the rules I believe 25 to 35 percent won't be able to run the new index. So what would I do? Not race. Let them run there throttle control, but people who don't run the class saying what the class needs!!!!! Steve Williams S/G 351N, Ford Probe with a 582 centiliter motor. That is 355 cubes, with a Lenco. Go ahead and change the rules, it will hurt some and not others.
. And I am sure companies like digital delay, and deadenbear would suffer some, and maybe support for certain groups

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
Jenevet how about making Top Dragster and Top Sportsman N/A classes? No power adders... I'm all for that...

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmarkaudio:
Jenevet how about making Top Dragster and Top Sportsman N/A classes? No power adders... I'm all for that...

We already have that class, its called super comp

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If you want to shrink the participation in these classes, then eliminate the throttle stops. You will get purpose built cars that are meant for these races. What you have now, is that every bracket racer with a car that can run at least the index, can add a throttle stop and go index racing as well. So your pool of available cars is large.
Throttle stops haven't ruined anything. If you don't want to throttle stop race, don't. If you don't want to watch throttle stop racing, don't. I'm not interest in stock class. So I don't watch it. I'm ok with those who are interested in racing that class, racing it.

I really don't see what the up side is to turning upside down classes that don't need fixing to get participation. Now, if you want a 7.90 index class, I'm all for it. I would bet you would still fill super comp as well.

Now, if we want to talk about filling national events with the things that fans will watch.....Then get rid of all super classes. No stock or any of the bracket racing except TS and TD. People will watch the fast cars. Comp eliminator is different enough that some people watch that. Add in some fast small tire or outlaw stuff, since that is popular as well. Sandwich those in with a few rounds of pro racing on Saturday night, and make it a reasonable length show, and it will be well attended. Oh, and don't take advantage of people cost wise too. That helps. But of course, NHRA can't make this work money wise. So you are stuck with cars that nobody wants to watch, because they pay the bills. So just let em pay the bills will ya!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You can certainly see where Top Dragster is headed from the qualifying results at Indy. The #1 Qualifier (6.10) is running the #17 qualifier in the first round (6.13). Every qualifier is over 200MPH with some bailing out early to keep from going under the 6.10. Wow that is really fast, especially for the first round.

Yea I know it's unique, it's Indy but it is indicative of where the class is going, a 200 MPH plus, low 6 second bracket class (except Division 7 LODRS where for the moment you can probably get in the 48 car field with a fast Super Comp Dragster). That will change.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
Div. 7

2018 Vegas II 64 car show had 76 entries. Bump: 6.844

2019 Vegas I 48 car show had 61 entries. Bump: 6.734

[Vegas is an altitude track at 2100+ feet. SC index is 9.05 there!]

Lots of sportsman got to race! My opinion: That is what should be happening!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Gerard,

Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Here's my thought on why I suggest lowering the indexes. And Bucky I can also respect your opinion, but I have to disagree with most of it.

All I ever wanted to do growing up was Super Class race. And at that time there wasn't even S/C as a class. Chased World Championships for years. I've seen it all.

Had an electric shifter before anyone sold one. Had a delay box before most people knew what they were or even needed one. Had a vacuum stop carb before anyone made a inline or under carb stop. Wen't thru all the progressions to today's boring setups.

INNOVATION

That's why. Digital Delay, KR, #1 STop, Biondo, they would all flourish on the "next big thing" like the APD Max Speed Carb has done over the past few years.

But when all the used stuff has flooded the market, they aren't selling new parts or innovation. These companies would figure something out and sell way more than what they are selling now to the VERY FEW new racers coming into these "stagnant" classes.

I could type on this all day, but I think everyone should be able to understand my point.

Do I think this will happen? Do I think NHRA cares? NO

Would it bring some new challenges to the categories along with possible revived excitement? I think so

Racer99O

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Speaking for myself, if the indexes were lowered 1 second I would quit the NHRA races.

My Super Street car is a low miles matching numbers car that will never be cut up or caged to run quicker than 10.00.

My dragster is fast but I only have it for something else to do at division races, and it would be gone if I can't run Super Street.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post