New
Find
Notify
Tools

vacuum pump
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Fixing to order a vacuum pump, GZ most likely since I have already talked to them and was pleased with their honesty

with that in mind, I have the engine out of the car and apart for freshening. Will need rings, bearings, gaskets, etc.

So the current ring set will be fine (top and 2nd rings) and I will be using low tension oil rings, standard for use with vacuum pump as I understand from the guys at GZ.

I am going to have to do some work on the pan. My pan, well it is not good, will replace it with a good race pan. Currently using a stock 80-96 F150 pan (351w based engine). After reassembly I will smoke test the engine to minimize air and possibly oil leaks. I usually do this anyway.

Anything else I need to do with respect to installing vacuum pump, while I have it apart?

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you install the rear main seal backwards,

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.C.Malibu:
Sometimes you install the rear main seal backwards,

You can, but it will leak if you lose vacuum for any reason. They make double lip seals now that work very well. I'd recommend one of those before turning a seal around backwards.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
There is no reason to install the rear seal backwards, ever! I run the regular Felpro rear seal and can pull over 16 lbs of vacuum with my Moroso 4 vane pump. Most low vacuum issues are either poor ring seal or leaks into the crankcase or both.

I do not recommend running low tension oil rings in a bracket motor either.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post