DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    304 stainless header questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

304 stainless header questions
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
Is there some prep to do to the headers before installing?
Does excessive heat permanently discolor the primaries? Last time I ran egt, it was about 1420.
Is it true that body oil from your hands will discolor the tubes, is that true?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The only way to stop SS headers from turning burnt gold is to chrome them.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed, not sure I like the chrome look or the expense. I had the current steel hookers wrapped to keep the diaper from getting crispy. Don't stainless transfer less heat than steel?

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No need to wrap your headers with the right diaper and wrapping your headers will have them rot out quicker and the wrap looks shyty in no time. SS headers dissipate heat quicker. I have never had SS headers and would never own a set of SS headers unless they were chromed. The collectors on my Fab Shop dragster headers are SS and are chromed.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Who chromes headers? Not sure I can afford it but maybe.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:

Racers like Ed who was the best of everything they do . Which is not a bad thing, good for the economy too

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ass hole reply from another broke dyck who adds nothing of relevance to this forum.

Ron, any chrome shop and if you can afford SS headers you can afford to have them chromed.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
scotch brite will clean them up. As long as you don't let them get too nasty.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Ass hole reply from another broke dyck who adds nothing of relevance to this forum.

I say something nice and this is your reply ! Haha your funny …….

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

I say something nice and this is your reply ! Haha your funny …….

It's karma for your mean comment to another member! Wink

2BKing

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is it true that body oil from your hands will discolor the tubes, is that true?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Yes.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
What's the best way to clean body oil off before firing up or before installing? Acetone, mineral spirits, paint thinner, or what?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Chrome changes colors too.
I have stainless and will never have anything but stainless. I haven’t done anything to mine and yea they are a little yellow but beats rusty.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong

2 seasons old

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
I had mine jet hot coated inside and out
always look new.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I have Fabshop Chrome Stainless that are 3 years old with no discoloration. I pulled them apart at the end of the year for a good cleaning and they look like new. I have a new set at Race Tech waiting to go on the new car.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
TonyB6255…Knows!