DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What will be your next 4150 BBC Intake?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will be your next 4150 BBC Intake?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
I am looking into the trickflow. Smile Just a plain Jane 650 HP BBC . Approx 6500 shift point in a 3800 lb. Nova.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nothing better on a BBC than the Edelbrock Victor Jr. and it was only marginally better than the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap dual plane at 700+ HP. I’ve tested them all over the past 3 decades and currently make over 1000HP with the Vic Jr. on the engine in my Firebird.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Edelbrock air gap or maybe a Brodix dual plane

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
One that I transform into 4500.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
650 HP BBC . Approx 6500 shift point in a 3800 lb. Nova.

I am gonna agree with Ed on his response, with decades of running both of those pieces on many engines, and a few other variations, (including the quite good Torker 2-0 and the very disappointing "Performer" turd, (NOT the RPM version). I will also toss in my $.02 that will say "depending on your converter, gear, & launch RPM". There was some fairly extensive testing done by Hot Rod or Car Craft about 10 years ago (maybe longer). Their results could pretty much be summed up by Ed's advice. And I would venture a guess that Edelbrock easily spent more time and money than any other company in design, development, testing and refinement of 4150 manifolds for BBC's. Heck, maybe more than all the others combined.
As for the magazine testing, the tipping point between which was better, the RPM Air Gap or the Vic Jr was RPM range, IIRC it was right around 5,500 or 6,000 RPM. If your requirement (application) was spending more time below that point, (as in a street car, street-strip, or very mild combo), the RPM was a more effective intake. If your car was a dedicated drag race machine, with a converter stall, matching cam and gearing that put the engine at or above 5,000 RPM for essentially the entire run, then the Vic Jr was the hands-down winner.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Victor jr. I've tried them all over the years and the Victor jr is the simple go to. Not the flashiest or current flavor of the week but it always performs. I have one cut down about an inch and it works great too.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Victor Jr. I had mine cut down 1/2" to clear the stock hood, but ended up changing the hood at the same time so I run a 1/2" open spacer when I'm not using the throttle stop.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Custom built HRE sheet metal tunnel ram with billet runners......hehehehehhe

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post