DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Twisted Output Shaft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twisted Output Shaft
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Brand new FTI level 5 trans. 130 passes. Pulled apart because it burnt up high gear after it appears there was a parts failure internally and then found that the output shaft is twisted too.

Rated to 1500hp, but I’m thinking my 1300hp bracket dragster must need something stronger. What are you guys using for a gearset and clutch drum assembly, especially those of you that may be using a baby blower setup?

Posts: 59 | Location: D3 | Registered: May 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc3171:
Brand new FTI level 5 trans. 130 passes. Pulled apart because it burnt up high gear after it appears there was a parts failure internally and then found that the output shaft is twisted too.

Rated to 1500hp, but I’m thinking my 1300hp bracket dragster must need something stronger. What are you guys using for a gearset and clutch drum assembly, especially those of you that may be using a baby blower setup?
SID NEAL is what it needs…

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Sonnax extreme, nothing else

I use a coan drum setup in mine

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Sonnax extreme 180 gear set, Sonnax 10 clutch drum. Sonnax 1.125” input. Never a failure on either. 2000 plus HP blown TD

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Level 5 is just a 4340 output. I always recommend
a 300m to my people even with a 1000 hp.

Nobody ever go backwards - hp,,,, and I've seen a bunch of 4340 outputs twist, so I don't like using em. Just makes for an awkward moment when they twist.

It would've never happened if it had a 300m output, so I'd say weld a 300m on what you got, I'm sure FTI can handle that for you, if they can't TSI can.

Whoever can do it least expense and get it done fastest.

I wouldn't buy a new gearset, and if I did, I'd buy a TSI 1.64 w/300m output or T400 output rated 2000 hp to accommodate a 1300hp engine.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
wouldnt the input twist or break before an output would? something dosent sound right.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Talk to Greg first before you do anything.Also make a habit of doing periodic pressure test during the season.CYA. Set it and forget it (NOT)

Should be part of your maintenance.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
quote:

What Whomp said!

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Talk to Greg first before you do anything.Also make a habit of doing periodic pressure test during the season.CYA. Set it and forget it (NOT)

Should be part of your maintenance.

X2, it's their transmission. Just saying it's the same type gearset both FTI and TSI use, either can weld a new 300m output on the OP's current carrier, dependent for myself on cost and convenience.

I always give the original manufacturer first dibs, agreed.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'd guess that's a FTI-TSI type gearset. If it's not, it's a BTE.

What makes a Sid Neal a Sid Neal, is his experience - approach.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Friend borrowed a black powdercoated Sid Neal after sizzling his powerglide at bracket finals SGMP, SR20 heavy 4.50's dragster. About won the race with it.

Said it was excellent. I think he was 1,2 or 3 red at three/semi.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Friend borrowed a black powdercoated Sid Neal after sizzling his powerglide at bracket finals SGMP, SR20 heavy 4.50's dragster. About won the race with it.

Id put him an his son up against anybody

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Id put him an his son up against anybody

I tend to believe his approach is excellent. So much so that everything I've ever heard of his approach, I use. A lot of what I've heard from Sid Neal is complex in that most would never consider it, even if they tried in most cases.

I can tell he knows he has a good product, surrounded by possibilities in user error. So there's an attempt to inform the user.

Shifter cable backlash, who's ever heard of that sizzling a powerglide? Anyone who follows Sid Neal.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
How do you determine a good shifter cable from a bad?... shifter cable backlash.

First thing I think when I see a guy installing a powerglide.

I wonder if that guy knows what to look for.