DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Quay 4-link. with or without anti-roll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quay 4-link. with or without anti-roll
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
My 3rd gen Camaro Lamplighter project is equipped with an Ed Quay, unequal length, four-link system, and rear frame. It is a back half build with the OE front suspension and Randy Mans front struts.

The question, up to recently adding an anti-roll rear bar, has been the standard thinking. However, there has been some suggestion that the unequal length bars work better without the anti-roll.

For those racing with the Ed Quay back half, what is your feedback about the anti-roll bar?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Install the anti-roll.

Abbott Racing Heads
(432) 558-2841

Posts: 39 | Location: Crane, Texas | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Quay favored the unequal length 4 link because he felt equal length bars could bind and the unequal would be less likely to.

I asked him about why he favored that design and that was his answer. He used it in his dragsters as well as door cars. His XL 4 link dragsters have anti-roll bars

Space limitations was usually why that unequal length style was used going back to when 4 links became popular....

I put an Art Morrison 4 link in my Vega and it definitely would have benefited from and anti-roll bar and I think got one with the cars next owner....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Larry, Anti Roll all they way in my opinion. I have even used them with a ladder bar suspension. A 4 link well set up will work fine BUT with a stout anti roll completes the deal. Long bars, short bars, unequal bars, doesent matter. A properly installed with no bind anti roll will kept the weight better, or should I say transfer of power and weight more controlled during launch. My last Dragster had a swing arm and and anti roll bar. I have used Shroder if I spelled it right in the past as they are a true torsion bar but they were bought by PAC spring and have not got a contact there yet.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Install an anti roll bar. When I first installed my 4-link, every time I launched, it felt like the car was going to twist and go into the other lane. I installed an anti roll bar. Car now picks up the front end equally with no body twist. Well worth the expense.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well being that the replies have gotten away from Larry’s specific question, I’ll add my .02 and that is my MPR built 4 link super stock car does NOT have an anti roll same as all of his cars like mine and they all prove none is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbOGxRLKSaY

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed, does your Firebird have unequal 4 link bars? The Quay has short upper bars, and while in theory, the intersect point is the same as with equal length bars, some have experienced handling that does not follow theory. To err on the side of safety, I plan to install an anti-roll kit. On the track, performance will tell me what the car wants.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No Larry, equal length bars

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here is a couple cents worth. Just got my new S10 on the track. Equal length 4-link. Had anti-sway neutral and the car just seems "weak" in that it wouldn't move on launch, like it was stuck.
I unhooked the anti-roll and it was .04 quicker in 60' and leaves great. Could be something in the setup but it is not a fast truck. We are 1.45 60' and 6.40s. Also 160 lbs heavy on the front with 175 lbs ballast on rear of frame.
I might look at trying it again the spring because it leaves with the left front about 10 inches up and right about 4". There is some twist but it prints tickets.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I like an Anti-Roll bar but you have to make sure it is not causing any binding in the suspension which may be a problem with un-equal length bars.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Toad, I am thinking it left with the front wheels level with the anti roll bar attached?

Posts: 41 | Location: east central ohio | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320 racer, That launch of your Firebird is spot on and if you hadent mentioned no anti roll I would have never questioned if it did or didnt. I just would have assumed it did. Nice job.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks SLICKSTER.

Last Saturday on a cold, junk, test/tune track

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320racer, Nice that 522 makes good power. Im thinking you are about 3300 lbs maybee more and 5.61 eight is kicking real butt. In my 82 Camaro (3200lbs) my 522 with glide best was 5.77 but most all the time it hung at 5.81-5.82-119. Freshend it after 5 years and back at it. In 2460 lb Corvette it will go 5.34 in morning 9:30-11:am but then settles in 5.35-5.36. Loose 8" ccx stator 6500- Shift at 7400 drop back 6800. Couple 1/4 miles runs in 94 degree summer 8.40s

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
533 now and the bird is 3211 going down the track.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
533 now and the bird is 3211 going down the track.

Looking good. Holdin a bunch to boot lol

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post