DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    ARP L19 7/16 Rod Bolts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ARP L19 7/16 Rod Bolts?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
How much did you stretch them?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
L19 bolts in my MGP Aluminum rods call for .0065-.0085 with 50wt oil. One pull, no step torque

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
L19 bolts in my MGP Aluminum rods call for .0065-.0085 with 50wt oil. One pull, no step torque

That's interesting. Is there a specific 50wt oil they suggest or send with the rods?

How is the torque wrench set to get to .0065? A lot of friction there with an aluminum rod - 50wt oil, my guess is 80, 85 ft pounds torque wrench setting.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
105 ft lbs is the spec. std 50wt oil. most pull between .007-.008 at 105lbs. I have had some go past .009 those go in the trash. So far never had a bolt/rod failure so must be doing something right

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
3/8” head ARP L19 fastener: 65ft/lbs torque, 0.0045”-0.0055” fastener stretch
7/16” head ARP L19 fastener: 90ft/lbs torque, 0.0055”-0.0065” fastener stretch
1/2” head ARP L19 fastener: 105ft/lbs torque, 0.0065”-0.0085” fastener stretch

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
79 ft lbs is what I see in some Steel rods...
About .007 stretch shown for Eagle steel rods with L19 bolts
No way I'd use specs from an aluminum rod in a steel rod UNLESS I could confirm the specs were the same...

I've had issues with rod bolts trying to get to a tq spec using oil and the rod manufacturer even said std 30 wt oil They would seize, grab and give a false tq. I mixed oil with anti seize paste and later down the road the same rod manufacturer put the same type anti seize paste in their rod boxes.....Crower steel with very high TQ spec bolts....

I snug the bolt and go right to the TQ spec and mostly use the ARP lube sometimes with a little oil mix....

I never used the L-19 bolts and the only rod bolt failure I can recall was one of those Crowers and it was due to that bad TQ issue with the bolt "seizing" before it got stretched properly....

When in doubt I spend time researching the issue and make a call to get the right info before guessing....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
105 ft lbs is the spec. std 50wt oil. most pull between .007-.008 at 105lbs. I have had some go past .009 those go in the trash. So far never had a bolt/rod failure so must be doing something right

I'd say so.

I'd also say the oil acts like thread locker when it's all said and done.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
3/8” head ARP L19 fastener: 65ft/lbs torque, 0.0045”-0.0055” fastener stretch
7/16” head ARP L19 fastener: 90ft/lbs torque, 0.0055”-0.0065” fastener stretch
1/2” head ARP L19 fastener: 105ft/lbs torque, 0.0065”-0.0085” fastener stretch

This is correct according to what I'm observing, ARP Ultra Torque assembly Lube.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I preload mine twice in the rod vice. Normally i get 89Lbs @ 55-65 with the ARP lube. Yes i have a couple that after the second preload went into the dumpster. CYA. Very time consuming.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
I preload mine twice in the rod vice. Normally i get 89Lbs @ 55-65 with the ARP lube. Yes i have a couple that after the second preload went into the dumpster. CYA. Very time consuming.

I do the same with the rod vice before installing the piston on the rod. If it comes up short I remove the bolt and re oil and pull again and generally they fall into spec.

Running a aluminum rod motor is expensive but the way I look at it cycling them out at specific amount of runs before they break is way cheaper than replacing them after one broke. I just put a new set in every season.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:

I do the same with the rod vice before installing the piston on the rod. If it comes up short I remove the bolt and re oil and pull again and generally they fall into spec.

Running a aluminum rod motor is expensive but the way I look at it cycling them out at specific amount of runs before they break is way cheaper than replacing them after one broke. I just put a new set in every season.

Have had the its cheaper to replace rods than replace rods,block,pistons and possible cam and crank too many times. Never understood why some would want to push runs way too long. Had one guy run rods 60 runs and this was when most alky teams replaced rods 15 or 20 runs. Bolts were not as strong,was 20 plus years ago. Arp L79 bolts are the shyt.

Did have a crew member forget left loosy goosy righty tighty thing. Over tightened and stretched the hell out of bolt,hour glass shape good on woman not so much on rod bolt.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
If the rods are in good shape it would not scare me to put them in a cheap budget bracket engine that sees only 6500 rpm. They can last a long time in a mild 500-600 HP. motor.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I just finished the bottom end of a used 377". It had 7/16" L19. I called ARP and they said .0068 to .0075 stretch. At 78 ft lbs with my ol trusty torque they stretched almost exactly .007. They told me to use their assembly lube. These rods and bolts probably have 500 runs on them but in something making maybe 500-550 HP I did not feel $700 for rods and bolts were needed.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Pretty much exactly what I posted days ago.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

I've got a set of instructions from Scat rods for a 496 BBC i'm doing, says if they stretch .0065 at 75ft lbs, throw them away no good.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

I've got a set of instructions from Scat rods for a 496 BBC i'm doing, says if you observe them stretch .0065 at 75ft lbs, throw them away no good.

Scat uses torque, that's just a check they include in the instructions to qualify each rod bolt I presume.