DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    detailing guys i need advice?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

detailing guys i need advice?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Last 2 trailers i had, simple install of roof drip rails will save you headaches. Worked like a charm.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
LA's Totally Awesome, follow it up with a good wax. I prefer D151 by Meguiars, and a harbor freight dual action polisher works well enough. There are better polishers out there but not for the money and usage once in a while.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
maybe I will try and dilute the la awesome down a lot and rinse right away...see what happens

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
just rolled out of the Blue Beacon Truck Wash in Montgomery, New York. $64 truck and trailer washed and sprayed with Rain X. Black streaks are gone and trailer looks like new again.

Next up, polish and wax.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
my 30 foot white trailer had dark streaks/stains down the side of it that wont wash off.

can any detail guys recommend a prodect to clean and polish it up,including oxidized chrome?

also im thinking i may need a descent buffer but no clue what to get.

Ahhhh Ohhhh I am sorry...Did you ask a question?

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1218 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hammons Motorsports
posted Hide Post
RV Tech products....

Streak X cleaner and metal roof sealer....

Bill Hammons
Hammons Motorsports

Old age and treachery, if we only knew then what we know today.....

95 Spitzer, 1.041 60 ft, 4.76 @ 142.85, 1740 lbs, 421" SBC

10/9/2016: 1.049 60 ft, 4.721@143.80 at 1780 lbs.

4/15/2017: 1.017 60 ft, pedaled 4.742@134 at 1780 lbs.

Posts: 943 | Location: Georgetown, KY | Registered: May 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this was mentioned in the already 3 pages but "Awesome" from the dollar store (dollar general) takes the streaks of immediately with zero effort. It's only a dollar a container too. Wash trailer and rv and the stuff is unreal.

Every year I buy a ton of it for fear it will be removed from the market but it's enviro friendly.

Mix it up in a bucket, soft rv brush, and one swipe the steaks are gone. Leaves no residue and trailer will feel silk smooth. I do the roof also because the buildup is what runs down in the rain / dew.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1434 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Has anyone suggested that you go to Dollar General and buy some LA's Totally Awesome. Just wet the panel, spray, wipe, rinse (no repeat needed). One panel at a time if your finish is oxidized badly.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
yes sir!!

ive got a brand new power washer,that extended rv brush and a case of la awesome cleaner.

now I just have to ingest enough aleve to get the project done

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Corky
posted Hide Post
Jenavet-
Dri Wash Ultra Ion Waterless car wash-----spray on the black streaks and wipe/buff back off. Not harsh like Trailer Bright or Awesome. You have to order it from Amazon or Google a local supplier, but this stuff flat works. The paint on trailer panels is very thin so the least aggressive on the paint the better.
Hope it helps

Corky

Posts: 338 | Location: Waynesville, Ohio | Registered: August 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
got a detailer that has a mobile service coming to polish and wax later this week for $200. I consider that cheap $ and part of yearly maintenance.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
dang that's cheap ed
send him over here afterwards?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corky:
Jenavet-
Dri Wash Ultra Ion Waterless car wash-----spray on the black streaks and wipe/buff back off. Not harsh like Trailer Bright or Awesome. You have to order it from Amazon or Google a local supplier, but this stuff flat works. The paint on trailer panels is very thin so the least aggressive on the paint the better.
Hope it helps

Trailer Brite is not harsh or aggressive.......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
I wash my trailer and then usually use Meguiar's cleaner wax and it removes the black streaks very easy. I usually wax my trailer once in the spring (sometimes twice a year, the middle of Oct). I have used Meguiars carnuba wax,(held up okay) and Collinite 845 insulator wax, it holds up well. i havent had time to wax mine yet this year. I washed it once, and there are no streaks yet. Mine is a 2014, and is always outside except for last winter, I stored it indoors. I tried the LA Awesome on my old trailer. It works, but you better do small areas, and work REALLY quickly. I won't use it on my new trailer...too harsh.

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
everyone of these black streak removers are harsh and I know several that have ruined the panel finish on their trailer using them.

I'll stick to once or twice a year rolling through a Blue Beacon Truck wash for $64 followed by a once a year polish and wax for $200.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I agree with the harsh chemicals removing the black streaks AND the finish on the panels. When I first used LA Awesome I thought I had found the miracle black streak remover. The first time I used it I did notice the rag I was using started turning white, but the streaks were gone and the trailer looked like new. The second time I used it I noticed a dark shadow showing on some panels. It turns out the shadow was the primer or coating under the white finish. LA Awesome from the Dollar Tree is a great cleaner AND paint remover. Be careful using it.

Posts: 16 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeH:
I agree with the harsh chemicals removing the black streaks AND the finish on the panels. When I first used LA Awesome I thought I had found the miracle black streak remover. The first time I used it I did notice the rag I was using started turning white, but the streaks were gone and the trailer looked like new. The second time I used it I noticed a dark shadow showing on some panels. It turns out the shadow was the primer or coating under the white finish. LA Awesome from the Dollar Tree is a great cleaner AND paint remover. Be careful using it.

Cheap paint or panel coating can be removed by just about anything. I've used it for about 15 years on multiple trailers and have never degraded the finish. But I only do one wetted panel at a time. Most people are washing off oxidization. They blame it on the cleaner, but lack of protection caused it, not the cleaning.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again, I’ll spend less than $300 a season for cleaning, polishing and waxing every day. Cheap $ for a PITA job that would take most racers the better part of a weekend to do right.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
if you remove stained paint and oxidized paint....you removed paint. Just the way it is. If you can keep it from staining, obviously that is the best. I use Awesome, and it works well. But you don't want to let it sit or dry and be careful full strength.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I got on top of my trailer and ran a bead of caulking down the entire roof right on the edge. Now the rain runs off the back of the trailer only and barely even touches anything. I have very few black streaks at all now.

Posts: 31 | Location: Roxboro NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post