New
Find
Notify
Tools

carb question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
so if you were to buy a new gas carb would you stick with a 4 barrel or switch to a twin blade this will be a dominator for a 584 cid bbc with a 20 degree head

Posts: 406 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Light weight or heavy car-light car twin blade heavy car 4 barrel for better bottom end just my 2 cents worth

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 396 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hey Tony Morris here from TMC carburetors

I can tell you all you need to know about the twin blades verses 4 barrels just call me at 407-405-3756

TMC Carburetors
Twin Blade Carburetors
4 Barel Carburetors

Posts: 6 | Location: winter garden | Registered: August 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My vote is buy the right sized, traditional 4 barrel dominator for your engine and intents, from ATM, APD, Pro Systems or your favorite builder. I don’t believe a twin blade dominator is worth anything on the time slip IF comparing apples to apples. Same with the SV1.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
4-bbl's have been around since the '50's. Many sharp people have successfully helped develop those carburetors and accessories for racing and it remains decent for drag racing.

The twin blades were seriously developed within the last 10 years and will outperform 4-bbl's in head-to-head tests due to physics. Tony Morris has worked closely with both styles for more than 20 years and can attest. It's like comparing SR-20 heads to conventional heads from the 70's. Both will run fine, but there really is no comparison.

Be wary of the twin blade knock-off companies though.

Mike Laws Performance

Posts: 33 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Explain what “outperform” means to you on the time slip with say a run of the mill 1100HP BBC in a dragster.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Explain what “outperform” means to you on the time slip with say a run of the mill 1100HP BBC in a dragster.

The current twin blades are built on a 4150 platform (pretty small), however gains from .02-.05 seconds and 1-3 mph [1/4 mile] on 1000hp+ engines are common. 1250+hp engines should use larger 4-bb'ls as the current twin blade is too small. Companies are working on a larger, Dominator-size version that will flow more air for engines that size and bigger. Consistency might be the biggest gain though. The twin blades work best with no or simple-open spacers due to the shape. No need to compensate for the void between the 4-round holes on the bottom...

Mike Laws Performance

Posts: 33 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Everyone says their carb is faster than the next persons. If the standard 4 barrel carb is truly tuned properly and is the proper size then I don’t see how a twin blade will out perform it by 5 hundredths.

If that’s truly wrong, I may give one a try

I found one video online of a person testing somewhat head to head. They borrowed a bigger carb that wasn’t tuned for their application and picked up 0.08. They then custom ordered a twin blade and picked up another 0.03. Not exactly apples to apples

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
Everyone says their carb is faster than the next persons. If the standard 4 barrel carb is truly tuned properly and is the proper size then I don’t see how a twin blade will out perform it by 5 hundredths.

This^^^

Further, Think about how much more HP you have to make to run 1 no mind 3 mph faster on a 1200HP engine.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

If that’s truly wrong, I may give one a try

I found one video online of a person testing somewhat head to head. They borrowed a bigger carb that wasn’t tuned for their application and picked up 0.08. They then custom ordered a twin blade and picked up another 0.03. Not exactly apples to apples

I agree with you. Nearly everyone says their carb, heads, camshafts, etc are better/faster than the next. If each part is properly tuned, the part with the better physics always wins.

SR-20 heads are based on 70's conventional-head platform. Will a set of conventional heads from the 70's or 80's outperform today's SR-20 heads? No. Why not?

Tony Morris has built thousands of 4-bbl's and hundreds of twin blades. He still builds both styles with equal profit margins. Call and ask him which he sells more of and why.

This might also help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05x5D5mNCiI

Mike Laws Performance

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My Book made 30 more then the most used brand at the track…

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mike am I reading correctly (deep dark holes of the internet) that you patented the twin blade carb?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike am I reading correctly (deep dark holes of the internet) that you patented the twin blade carb?

Yes. Along with the upper fuel jets and 2-piece fuel bowls. (Separate patents)

Mike Laws Performance

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Laws:
quote:

And I take it Tony is producing with these patents under an agreement between y’all? Is anyone else producing carbs with these patents?

Thanks

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And I take it Tony is producing with these patents under an agreement between y’all? Is anyone else producing carbs with these patents?

Thanks

Yes, Tony is an agent for PMRD. (Phelps Machine Research & Development) Terry Phelps was the first carb-shop manager/builder for my Dad's company back in the 80's. PMRD has a patent license with me/my patent company. DM Performance had a patent license with me and built some carbs for Summit Racing. No other company has a patent license.

Mike Laws Performance

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks

Yes, Tony is an agent for PMRD. (Phelps Machine Research & Development) Terry Phelps was the first carb-shop manager/builder for my Dad's company back in the 80's. PMRD has a patent license with me/my patent company. DM Performance had a patent license with me and built some carbs for Summit Racing. No other company has a patent license.

Sorry for so many questions. What differs in the patent process for the twin blades that get’em produces so they don’t infringe?

Not very familiar with twin blades, won’t lie. So good to be able to ask from a source here

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The good ole days of the BLP Shoot Out. Long gone, never forgotten. We need another one. ... I wonder how many won't show again lol.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry for so many questions. What differs in the patent process for the twin blades that get’em produces so they don’t infringe?

Not very familiar with twin blades, won’t lie. So good to be able to ask from a source here

No problem. There are at least 2 Getm's. Get'm Garage in Florida (I am 50% owner) and Get'm Performance LLC in Kentucky. Get'm Garage LLC hasn't sold a carburetor since 2019. If you google Get'm Performance, you'll be directed to the Get'm Garage website. (Confused yet?) Get'm Performance does not have a license to sell any of my patented parts, including the twin blades, upper jets and 2-pc fuel bowls. A trial is being held this summer in Orange County, Florida (Orlando) to hopefully clean all of this up. You can review details here: https://www.yellowbullet.com/t.../getm-carbs.2669683/

Mike Laws Performance

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The BLP shootout was a fantastic event...Wonderful Hospitality by the BLP/Laws Family. Gross HP numbers are not the whole story on a Carb. You could "Hear" the differences between Carbs on the Pump... The rate of acceleration can be heard and felt in the room next to the dyno...The engine would sing..
Thanks Mike....

Posts: 227 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post