Find
Notify
Tools

carb question
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
I was looking for a bigger single carb this winter to replace the twin 1150's on our T/D ...,I had purchased a 2.500 billet carb from a big name carb builder and it was fighting me all the way , so I spoke with Mike Law, about a twin blade for our 632 .... same as above , Mike said the 4150 twin would be marginally sized for our application ..we might pick up or stay the same , honestly couldnt guarantee ... so I also am waiting on a bigger one to be released ...but let me add , Mike is one of the most intellectual, yet down to earth guys I have ever spoken too , and if he says he'll call you back , he does .. and he takes the time to explain how it works and why it works ... no sales pitch ... after having raced for 32 years with carbs from , Book, Quick fuel, Holley, Chuck Nuytten, Pro Systems. George Rupert, APD, Carb Shop , Ken Jones , and probably some I forgot ... they each had there applications and tuning ideas ... some were definately better than others .. customer service after the sale ranged from GREAT to NONE ...and customer support is #1 in my eyes if you want happy return customers who will speak highly of your transaction and results to their fellow racers ... I just got the 2.500 carb back from Mark at Lightening Carbs and we'll try it out this weekend ...hopefully he turned it around for us ...

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
I was looking for a bigger single carb this winter to replace the twin 1150's on our T/D ...,I had purchased a 2.500 billet carb from a big name carb builder and it was fighting me all the way , so I spoke with Mike Law, about a twin blade for our 632 .... same as above , Mike said the 4150 twin would be marginally sized for our application ..we might pick up or stay the same , honestly couldnt guarantee ... so I also am waiting on a bigger one to be released ...but let me add , Mike is one of the most intellectual, yet down to earth guys I have ever spoken too , and if he says he'll call you back , he does .. and he takes the time to explain how it works and why it works ... no sales pitch ... after having raced for 32 years with carbs from , Book, Quick fuel, Holley, Chuck Nuytten, Pro Systems. George Rupert, APD, Carb Shop , Ken Jones , and probably some I forgot ... they each had there applications and tuning ideas ... some were definately better than others .. customer service after the sale ranged from GREAT to NONE ...and customer support is #1 in my eyes if you want happy return customers who will speak highly of your transaction and results to their fellow racers ... I just got the 2.500 carb back from Mark at Lightening Carbs and we'll try it out this weekend ...hopefully he turned it around for us ...

SO your taking 2 1150's off and replacing them with one carb? You got two things to deal with there, the carb and the intake that's really not single carb friendly. You have a huge plenum that's getting better and a extra large bore single carb, not to mention fuel distribution from cylinder to cylinder.... If you have a data logger with 8 O's you might scare yourself...lol

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Be interesting to see how the big single works out . Be sure to post it up !!!

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
SO your taking 2 1150's off and replacing them with one carb? You got two things to deal with there, the carb and the intake that's really not single carb friendly. You have a huge plenum that's getting better and a extra large bore single carb, not to mention fuel distribution from cylinder to cylinder.... If you have a data logger with 8 O's you might scare yourself...lol[/QUOTE]

So as to clear the confusion, we removed the 2-4 carb / sheet metal intake combo, we ran in TD, and replaced it with an Edelbrock 28002 intake and single carb because we aren’t going to run T/D this year… we are gonna run the Jegs S/Q series and fast bracket quick 16 stuff.. with the purchase of the new 2022 Miller dragster my wallet needs a year off from T/D… 4.50’s is easier on parts than 3.80’s

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
SO your taking 2 1150's off and replacing them with one carb? You got two things to deal with there, the carb and the intake that's really not single carb friendly. You have a huge plenum that's getting better and a extra large bore single carb, not to mention fuel distribution from cylinder to cylinder.... If you have a data logger with 8 O's you might scare yourself...lol

So as to clear the confusion, we removed the 2-4 carb / sheet metal intake combo, we ran in TD, and replaced it with an Edelbrock 28002 intake and single carb because we aren’t going to run T/D this year… we are gonna run the Jegs S/Q series and fast bracket quick 16 stuff.. with the purchase of the new 2022 Miller dragster my wallet needs a year off from T/D… 4.50’s is easier on parts than 3.80’s[/QUOTE]

OK, that's better,, why do you want a carb with a bore that big for 4.50's? Is this combo NA or are you NOS? What the motor combo?

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
just a little ole 632 N/A, if we run Qk 16 we will need to be as fast as possible to qualify at some races.... last time we ran it with a BIG carb it ran low 4.30's so thats why the bigger carb ... no more NOS for us , we went 6.05 at the US Nationals with the 2/4 setup and spray . but when we go back to T/D , we'll do it with a procharged setup ...

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
There are too many variables to say one size or style carb is better than the other. Cam profiles, runner velocity, plenum volumes, RPM range... a lot goes into what is ideal for any combo. When dealing with a single combination from an engine builder that build duplicates it's easier to find the right carb. Twin blades work great with the right combination,but some still work best with a 4 barrel design. And the 1600 twin has it's limitations when the engine size/HP/RPM goes up, some of the newer large displacement engines need a bigger carb, or a more spread bore space to help equalize distribution.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
I was told 1100hp alky would not work very well with the TB carbs. Is that because the TB simply isn't large enough? I tried 1250 and 1450 on the dyno and the 1450 made 20-25hp more.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
little update got the twin blade carb how ever nothing but issues rt out of the box wont run floods over out the vents leaking out the boosters has been back to the builder already once tried it a second time same issues put on another car same issues.

fuel pressure is 17lbs regulator to carb is anywhere from 4-6 no change
this carb has a 2 piece billet bowl with 150 neddle and seats no idea what else can be wrong except something with floats and needles
put my old carb on and its perfect.
I tested the floats in water over night they dont sink.
anyone else have issues like this?

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My advice remains the same 3 months later

quote:
Originally posted March 28, 2022 03:55 PM by 1320racer:
My vote is buy the right sized, traditional 4 barrel dominator for your engine and intents, from ATM, APD, Pro Systems or your favorite builder. I don’t believe a twin blade dominator is worth anything on the time slip IF comparing apples to apples. Same with the SV1.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Al why don’t run one on your TD or on the TS car you drive? Wink

Ed, I am waiting for the 4500 series TB's to come out. The current 4150 series, even though they bolt up to a dominator flange are basically what I have now cfm wise. I feel, along with some testing to back it up, that my motor needs around 1650 cfm (dry flow) which would mean close to a 2000 CFM rated carb. From my experiences with some of the large bore 4 barrels currently out there, they have two issues, have trouble getting to the two step cleanly and flow enough air but won't pull enough fuel. In fact at NED divisional last year TT Motorsports had trouble with a 2.500" throttle bore 4 barrel from a national builder(Motor was PAR 632 SR20) on one of their cars, it would not come up on the two step, after a number of adjustments still no luck, took it off and put on the original Twin Blade from Getem I had (the one I mentioned in my prior post), the owner wanted to sell it so I was helping him out. We put it on that night after qualifying, first round it work flawlessly and ran down the track cleanly. That driver went 3 rds that day. It ran very close to what the 4 barrel carb ran when it did make a good run in worse air out of the box.

Here's another example, not exactly twin blade related directly but,,, last year we dyno'ed my friends SR20 632 with a 2.400" 4 barrel from the "National" builders list, made tuning adjustments to get the best results, then bolted on my BLP/TMC 2.350" throttle blade 4 barrel carb, one hit and 13 more HP, no fine tuning! The data showed what that the larger carb flowed more air but wouldn't pull the fuel and therefore less HP. The design of the twin blade main body, as I understand it is, allows more CFM while maintaining a strong signal to the boosters in order to provide the fuel flow/curve need to make good HP!

So honestly I can't wait to try one when the larger CFM carbs are ready. In fact I have called Mike on a regular basis, asking when!!!! Super Angry

Any word on the 4500 TB Top? Hurry Up

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
DRB i have a 2.3 bore 1700 absolutely like new if intrested . not a TB .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
DRB i have a 2.3 bore 1700 absolutely like new if intrested . not a TB .

BE cool if we could do an AB swap at the Dollar to see if was better. Engine builder put a 2.550 bore carb on mine . Big Grin

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post