Find
Notify
Tools

carb question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
What or who during that Shoot out. What was the deal with the single high port intake. Possible conflict? Reminds me of the old "Box Ram". AKA log Ram.

Mike a question. Who was responsible for the configuration of the 5120 blocks with the relocation of the idle feed tube. No restrictions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Laws:
quote:
Sorry for so many questions. What differs in the patent process for the twin blades that get’em produces so they don’t infringe?

Not very familiar with twin blades, won’t lie. So good to be able to ask from a source here

No problem. There are at least 2 Getm's. Get'm Garage in Florida (I am 50% owner) and Get'm Performance LLC in Kentucky. Get'm Garage LLC hasn't sold a carburetor since 2019. If you google Get'm Performance, you'll be directed to the Get'm Garage website. (Confused yet?) Get'm Performance does not have a license to sell any of my patented parts, including the twin blades, upper jets and 2-pc fuel bowls. A trial is being held this summer in Orange County, Florida (Orlando) to hopefully clean all of this up. You can review details here: https://www.yellowbullet.com/t.../getm-carbs.2669683/

Mike, PM sent

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/S Dart:
The BLP shootout was a fantastic event...Wonderful Hospitality by the BLP/Laws Family. Gross HP numbers are not the whole story on a Carb. You could "Hear" the differences between Carbs on the Pump... The rate of acceleration can be heard and felt in the room next to the dyno...The engine would sing..
Thanks Mike....

The shootouts were great in many respects and I miss the ingenuity and competition. Some great stories were made at both. Thanks!

Mike Laws Performance

Posts: 33 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
What or who during that Shoot out. What was the deal with the single high port intake. Possible conflict? Reminds me of the old "Box Ram". AKA log Ram.

Mike a question. Who was responsible for the configuration of the 5120 blocks with the relocation of the idle feed tube. No restrictions.

Dad did most of the redesign on those blocks.

Mike Laws Performance

Posts: 33 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Everyone has a quicker carb or converter just ask them otherwise ask them if it doesn't pick up over .05 will they give you your money back .....

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY!

I’ve tested a lot of carbs from many builders over the last 30 years and ain’t found one yet that was a tenth and 1 mph better and only 1 agreed to a money back guarantee and he became my carb builder for 15 years. Btw, his carb too didn’t gain me a tenth and 1 mph.

So Mike if you or Tony want to guarantee your claims, let’s get this deal done today, if not it’s all marketing claims.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
My 582 sr20 engine came with a 1250 apd gas carb

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Over the years that I have been racing I have had carbs from Pro Systems, Bolaws, APD, BLP and my current carb is a BLP that Mike did for me a number of years ago that he and Tony Morris did two new metering blocks last year. I have also had experiences with Book and AED carbs that friends have had/have, so got a good idea of what's what. I know of 4 racers in the last year that have tried twin blades and another who bolted one on but never ran it because it was a SC car and wanted to keep the under carb stop. ALL stated that throttle response was noticeably better! 3 of these combo's used the largest one on motors making between 1200 to 1260 HP (615 to 632 cid) and one making around 925 on a 565. One was an original Getem Twin Blade and the other 3 were from TMC. 2 of the 1200 plus HP combo's had carbs from the above builders mentioned, they ran the twin blades (TB) all of last year and are very satisfied with them. The 3rd one borrowed a TB that replaced his 1450 Quick Fuel carb for one day, he did pick up close to .06 in the quarter and also has one coming from Tony now. On the 565 combo, he got one late last year from Tony, bolted it on and loved it. Throttle response, consistency and idle quality where excellent. He can't say it's faster or not since he had many issues resolving bugs in a new car but loves the carb.

There are a number of very good carb builders out there just like anything else however with a carb it usually takes more effort on the tuner than just bolting it on vs a converter or headers etc. in order to get all of the performance it is capable of producing. The end user needs to have the tools and knowledge to fine tune a carb from any builder to your combo.

I can say that a Twin Blade carb is a very good piece, period! If you are looking for a new carb, I'd would give one some serious consideration. Also note that I am not saying the standard 4 barrel design is junk either! As far as faster than a 4 barrel, I can say it's much easier to ask the question than answer it because there are so many variables to consider from each combo and current state of tune, so you just can't take one carb off and bolt on another, whether it's a TB or not, and say this one is better than that one,,, I wish it was that easy!

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al why don’t run one on your TD or on the TS car you drive? Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Ed, I am waiting for the 4500 series TB's to come out. The current 4150 series, even though they bolt up to a dominator flange are basically what I have now cfm wise. I feel, along with some testing to back it up, that my motor needs around 1650 cfm (dry flow) which would mean close to a 2000 CFM rated carb. From my experiences with some of the large bore 4 barrels currently out there, they have two issues, have trouble getting to the two step cleanly and flow enough air but won't pull enough fuel. In fact at NED divisional last year TT Motorsports had trouble with a 2.500" throttle bore 4 barrel from a national builder(Motor was PAR 632 SR20) on one of their cars, it would not come up on the two step, after a number of adjustments still no luck, took it off and put on the original Twin Blade from Getem I had (the one I mentioned in my prior post), the owner wanted to sell it so I was helping him out. We put it on that night after qualifying, first round it work flawlessly and ran down the track cleanly. That driver went 3 rds that day. It ran very close to what the 4 barrel carb ran when it did make a good run in worse air out of the box.

Here's another example, not exactly twin blade related directly but,,, last year we dyno'ed my friends SR20 632 with a 2.400" 4 barrel from the "National" builders list, made tuning adjustments to get the best results, then bolted on my BLP/TMC 2.350" throttle blade 4 barrel carb, one hit and 13 more HP, no fine tuning! The data showed what that the larger carb flowed more air but wouldn't pull the fuel and therefore less HP. The design of the twin blade main body, as I understand it is, allows more CFM while maintaining a strong signal to the boosters in order to provide the fuel flow/curve need to make good HP!

So honestly I can't wait to try one when the larger CFM carbs are ready. In fact I have called Mike on a regular basis, asking when!!!! Super Angry

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You can borrow my 2.400 blade ATM Innovations carb anytime.

[/QUOTE]

It made 12HP more on PAR’s dyno then the APD 2.500 they dyno’d the engine with too, Scott told me he was impressed. I’ve never been impressed with APD carbs, very ordinary performance. I’d like to try your 2.350 blade BLP.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a twin blade on my 64 we had to install to run NSS for my combo by rule. It runs as well as the 4500 did on the car. 8.80's at 154 at its current 3600lbs. No its not a Get Em carb..Putin in a new moly cage now to hopefully lighten it back up a bit.

On the heads up car we run one of these. IMO Dave makes the best carbs out there, especially for this kind of application. We also run a Braswell on our dragster. But they require tuning for sure like most things to wring them out. Then again we run alot more carb than most would think for a 400" SB

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I will also add this to the racers who like to get into fine tuning a carb on the track. Mike developed top end jets, these are jets similar to main jets in the metering blocks that screw into the main body at the fuel entry to the banjos, they are longer so they secure the banjo/booster combo into the main body. This allows more control/tuning of the carbs fuel curve and also allows the tuner to change boosters very easily at the track in a matter of minutes for all 4. Nice fine tuning features that come with twin blade carbs from TMC.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
EXACTLY!

I’ve tested a lot of carbs from many builders over the last 30 years and ain’t found one yet that was a tenth and 1 mph better and only 1 agreed to a money back guarantee and he became my carb builder for 15 years. Btw, his carb too didn’t gain me a tenth and 1 mph.

So Mike if you or Tony want to guarantee your claims, let’s get this deal done today, if not it’s all marketing claims.

Sorry, had to laugh. Not at you - at me! Those who know me will agree that I can't even spell marketing. I was just weighing in on the OP's question and sharing my experience & reasoning with both styles.

I don't build or sell carbs anymore - however if I did, I'd take you up on your challenge, but you'd have to agree to also buying a big blue bottle in order to put a tenth on that ATM. I'm a big fan of theirs and I'm sure their 2.400 program is stout, so you're in good shape. I appreciate the offer but will have to pass...

Mike Laws Performance

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Ed, I am waiting for the 4500 series TB's to come out. The current 4150 series, even though they bolt up to a dominator flange are basically what I have now cfm wise. I feel, along with some testing to back it up, that my motor needs around 1650 cfm (dry flow) which would mean close to a 2000 CFM rated carb. From my experiences with some of the large bore 4 barrels currently out there, they have two issues, have trouble getting to the two step cleanly and flow enough air but won't pull enough fuel. In fact at NED divisional last year TT Motorsports had trouble with a 2.500" throttle bore 4 barrel from a national builder(Motor was PAR 632 SR20) on one of their cars, it would not come up on the two step, after a number of adjustments still no luck, took it off and put on the original Twin Blade from Getem I had (the one I mentioned in my prior post), the owner wanted to sell it so I was helping him out. We put it on that night after qualifying, first round it work flawlessly and ran down the track cleanly. That driver went 3 rds that day. It ran very close to what the 4 barrel carb ran when it did make a good run in worse air out of the box.

Here's another example, not exactly twin blade related directly but,,, last year we dyno'ed my friends SR20 632 with a 2.400" 4 barrel from the "National" builders list, made tuning adjustments to get the best results, then bolted on my BLP/TMC 2.350" throttle blade 4 barrel carb, one hit and 13 more HP, no fine tuning! The data showed what that the larger carb flowed more air but wouldn't pull the fuel and therefore less HP. The design of the twin blade main body, as I understand it is, allows more CFM while maintaining a strong signal to the boosters in order to provide the fuel flow/curve need to make good HP!

So honestly I can't wait to try one when the larger CFM carbs are ready. In fact I have called Mike on a regular basis, asking when!!!! Super Angry

Al: Thanks for your testimony! And sorry (again) that the big twin blade isn't finished. I wish it was! Will keep you in touch...

Mike Laws Performance

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mike, thanks for your honesty.

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
i did a same day same altitude A/B/B/A session on a 632 12* engine with a 1250 Book carb vs a 2.4 bore carb and special spacer from one of the companies a feller mentioned in this post has worked for along with several other companies. i found no performance gain at all but i was told i needed to turn the engine more rpms with the big bore to get it to improve over the 1250. kinda hard to do when you are already cranking it 7800 rpm ... lol ... anyone wanna buy a approx 1700 cfm 2.4 bore with a few passes

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
surprised to read that you like your Book carb. I've spoken to several bracket racers over the past few years with 632s and bigger that bought a book carb and did not have a good experience with it.

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
The Book on the 632 was always excellent to me and it was built specifically for that motor. Got a pair of Get'm on a SRE 674 now and they work great also . Trevor Wiggins is a great guy to work with and is always ready to help.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, thanks for your honesty.

YW!

Mike Laws Performance