Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    drag on rotating PG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

drag on rotating PG
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Just reusing assembled PG .Using JW case I just got in.Seems to have a lot of drag.Everything is lubed and clutch pack clearances checked a cpl times.Band is actually way loose right now.

How much drag should it be. Right now can not rotate with bare hands.Yea I know getting older and weaker.Not laughing at all.

http://www.schooledbyscotty.com/
Only the stupid know too much to learn something new.
Chris McBride

deplorables saving america one vote at a time

Posts: 1293 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Have you double checked your end clearance, should be .010 to .015 for roller bearing, and .030 to .060 for shims. I just did a glide today, and turned out .012, turns easily by hand.

Posts: 137 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yes and have about .015. I am wondering about the rubber spacers in high gear drum that are between the steels.Idea is to reduce drag,wondering if this might whats biting me in butt.If nothjing else comes up think I will pull the out and give it a try.Thankfully PG is stupid simple.Guess not simple enough.COL

Chris McBride

Posts: 1293 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I've done the rubber spacer deal before and never had issues with it being harder to turn by hand. I think i'd be pulling it back apart to see whats makin it bind up.

Posts: 293 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Pulled apart again and again.Finally pulled rubber spacers out.Guess wehat she turns fine and movement back and forth is lot easier too.Agree it shouldn't have issue.afterall they are inside drum and endplay is determined from parts and pieces outside of it.Unless there was binding on clutch hub?Plus had endplay,is more consistent reading now.

I did find bronze bushing in ATI aluminum pump is sliding in and out Might have been issue there? right now I know its working correctly and time to hit sack.Wouldn't have slept much thinking about it so stayed up to figure out.

Chris McBride

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Properly fitted rubber spacers can´t caused this, something else is wrong.

Posts: 3 | Location: Sweden | Registered: December 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Can someone explain the rubber spacer deal. I've read about it, but never understood it, never seen it and never tried it. So educate me, what is it suppose to do and how does it work.

Posts: 137 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Bsically you place cut pieces of o-ring between the steels in clutck pack.They fit into the recess are where steels lock in.
Idea is to make the frctions have less drag when clutch pack is disengaged. The orings cause the steels to push apart and reduce frictional drag.

Monroes book on powerglide gives good pics and description of all aspects of it.

Chris McBride

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered how much ET doing this was worth?

Posts: 50 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I doubt its anything you would see.Its more one of those little things that when added to few other little things you can see.Its l;ike how much differance in loosing 2 lbs off car.None but done 20 times it 40 lbs. and that should be .04. Just l;ike me buying aluminuim bolts for trans pan.14 5/16x 3/4 bolts is not much but it still less weight.Especailly after switching from factory case to JW case,Damn this thing is heavy.

Chris McBride

DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
Looks like you are getting close Chris! . .post us up some pics of the car ! . You got it painted yet ?

photo DragsterResize_zps157f6b5f.jpg
 photo wao-painting-logo-1_zpse0a5ba9f.jpg

Posts: 640 | Location: chiefland fl. | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 68SGCAMARO
posted Hide Post
So you set your clutch pack clearance and then put rubber spacers between the steels afterwards ? What happened with the clearance measurement after the spacers .....

Posts: 895 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
forget the spacers. Just machine the high and reverse pistons to ONLY accept what clutches and steels you need. I set mine up with 1 more steel than clutches so I don't have a clutch touching the pressure plate and sun gear.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 143 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post