New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grid Controller
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Has anyone hooked up Grid controller to control 7AL3? And any results good or bad.

Posts: 23 | Location: The Beach | Registered: September 26, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ran a Grid with a 7al3 for 7 years. No issues, do not use the rev limiting features in the Grid programming with the 7al3. It can cause erratic results.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
What about the 4* difference between the crank trigger and 7al3? How does one set that up correctly in the grid?

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chillin:
Has anyone hooked up Grid controller to control 7AL3? And any results good or bad.

Which 7AL3? The older Red model (7230) or the newer Black model (7330)?

Posts: 2435 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I ran the Grid controller with a red box 7Al3 for years...

Did not use the grid to control rev limiters, stayed with chips...

Worked fine....No problems....and was using an MSD distributer to trigger ignition....no crack trigger....

Timing was very stable and I used start retard and launch retard at times....

Went to full grid a couple years ago with a crank trigger and kept MSD magnetic pickup to use if crank trigger failed.

Had a quick disconnect to swap from crank trigger to MSD distributer and checked timing with both......Varied about 1 degree

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
After going to the pickup from the distributor could you tell any difference?

Posts: 42 | Location: East Coast | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
After going to the pickup from the distributor could you tell any difference?

This is my opinion based on what I have reviewed in Data Acquisitions of both triggering methods using the MSD 7730 Grid data acquisition.

EVERYONE (almost) will tell you that they experienced no difference in ET when switching back and forth between the MSD distributor to crank triggers.

In Grid, the distributor trigger RPM data acquisition will be very apparent when compared to the crank trigger RPM acquisition. The distributor trigger display will look fuzzy, with the ones having the most distributor / cam gear and timing chain play appearing much worse. How much this trigger fluctuation changes the actual timing, is unknown to me.

Here’s what I have seen in the acquisitions. Depending on the distributor trigger fluctuation, the Shift Light output activation will / can change by up to 200 rpm from the programmed value. I have also seen the Gear Indicator move to the next gear prior to Shift Light activation because the distributor trigger was showing a fluctuation of greater than 400 rpm, the amount need to indicate a gear shift change.

A distributor trigger will Never be accurate to activate a shift output from any remote device, analog RAS or MSD 7730 Grid…… Guaranteed.

The very best shift output accuracy that I’ve reviewed in MSD 7730 Grid is using the Shift Light output with a “crank trigger” which is +5 /- 3 rpm. The next best is the Grid Output Switch that is up to +20 rpm.

Posts: 2435 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post