DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trying m/t big bubbas. Tire shake avoidance..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying m/t big bubbas. Tire shake avoidance..
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
On my door car, loosening the extension takes bite away from the tire and tightening the extension keeps the tire planted harder and longer.

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N2Ofrog:
On my door car, loosening the extension takes bite away from the tire and tightening the extension keeps the tire planted harder and longer.

Shake has hurt my shock travel sensor. But if I loosen the extension, the rim rapidly moves toward the track. But I run out of travel, so it can only do it for so long. Plus, the tire is more likely to bounce hitting it quickly with little dampening. I can usually get more of a gradual line with higher dampening.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of N2Ofrog
posted Hide Post
I don't have much experience with dragsters and maybe they act different than door cars.

We don't tune the rebound for initial separation. We've had the best luck by using the rebound to control the tire after full compression--tighter rebound to keep the tire planted longer and harder, and softer rebound to help the car get up on the tire quicker.

Posts: 929 | Location: Columbia Station, OH | Registered: January 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There hasn't been a good rim screw debate for a while. My Hoosiers aren't screwed, and are not moving on the rim. Would rim screws affect their tendency to shake at all?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I'm just happy to not be welding parts back together after a weekend of shaking.

That is it right there. When I ran the Hoosiers It was always breaking off my fuel pump mount, and all of the brackets on the chassis. The other issue with Hoosiers is they were really good with good track temps but if you were too cold or too hot they would go away quickly. That was on my four link altered the MT tires were so much better. They do not work as well on my hard tail front engine dragster.

That by chance, was it a CO7? Mine, i just broke too many things. I went to a stiff sidewall and not (H). At times i could tell the shake just by looking at the lines across the tire. looked like diagonal line marks. The width of the tire.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Believe mine is the D05

One thing that Hoosier said that agrees with many opinions is that the larger diameter of the tire, the larger rollout to say it a different way, the less prone to shake the tire will be. That's regardless of rim size, although there is a better selection of taller tires in the 16" wheel size.

The other thing they mentioned was that in my case, bringing power in earlier should be helpful in keeping the tire unhooked a bit for longer...which should avoid shaking.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Fellow racer lent me some tires for the weekend. I never got around to using the bigger tires due to rain today. The little tires were the mt 15" 10.5 tire. I think it was Dykes and Strippers that said they like 10.5" (wait a minute!)
Man I had good luck with them on Saturday. I was out to lunch lost on my fuel system due to a large change. But the tires never shook. Put down a 1.05 60' time which is the best for my car. I like these tires. The track prep down track wasn't spectacular due to it being during a jr race. So there was a bit of down track spin, which other dragsters were having as well...some badly.

I am sneaking back up on the tune. 7.20 so far. Laying down the better 60' times will really help the et when I have the fuel figured out. There is even a little room on the 60' yet. Slow Mo shows just a little quiver 10' out at 6.4 psi tire pressure.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Fellow racer lent me some tires for the weekend. I never got around to using the bigger tires due to rain today. The little tires were the mt 15" 10.5 tire. I think it was Dykes and Strippers that said they like 10.5" (wait a minute!)
Man I had good luck with them on Saturday. I was out to lunch lost on my fuel system due to a large change. But the tires never shook. Put down a 1.05 60' time which is the best for my car. I like these tires. The track prep down track wasn't spectacular due to it being during a jr race. So there was a bit of down track spin, which other dragsters were having as well...some badly.

I am sneaking back up on the tune. 7.20 so far. Laying down the better 60' times will really help the et when I have the fuel figured out. There is even a little room on the 60' yet. Slow Mo shows just a little quiver 10' out at 6.4 psi tire pressure.

What part number is that tire?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

What part number is that tire?

Most likely the 3069w 33x10.5-15

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Thank you I will look into it. I want to try a different tire and prefer to stick with MT if possible.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Bucky, what width rim are those on? They recommend max of 12 inch wide rim?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I believe his is a 15x15. It didn't look weird on the rim. I will ask him though.
Update....yes 15" wide. Screws used. I own 15" x15" rims already so this is a good thing.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Awesome my rims are 14 wide so I now have two good options to choose from. I will call Buddy at MT and get his opinion on which to run. Thank you!

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"