DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    67 Camaro Transmission Swap Turbo 400 to Powerglide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

67 Camaro Transmission Swap Turbo 400 to Powerglide
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Thinking about swapping out my turbo 400 to a powerglide. I am sure I will have to change the drive shaft and crossmember. Anyone here did this before and have any tips. Or where I can get a crossmember from.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Glide/th350/4 spd crossmembers are pretty easy to come by as they are used in almost every 68-74 Nova and 67-69 Camaro ever built. Original Th400 cars make up a very small percentage........

Easy swap

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Powerglide is shorter than the th400, so you need to move the crossmember up and a longer driveshaft.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you want a shiny brand new one:

crossmember

But they are pretty common. I have one in my rafters. No, it isn't for sale. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of McK_Racing
posted Hide Post
I've done that exact swap. Crossmember, driveshaft, and yoke need to be changed. I used a powerglide with a turbo input shaft, otherwise you'd need a new converter too. You may need a new shifter (or gate), not all are compatible with both.

The stock-style T350/glide crossmember can be a pain to install, it's made to fit in place, but the bumps hit the floor when getting it in there, and it usually takes a BFH. Years ago I modified mine by cutting it flat and welding in filler plates, but now days aftermarket crossmembers with more clearance are available from places like Chassisworks if you don't care about originality.

Posts: 250 | Location: Northern Hemisphere | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post